Tolkien bio movie in the works

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2013, 12:18am

Post #1 of 16 (517 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien bio movie in the works Can't Post

From the article:

“Tolkien,” as the project is tentatively called, will examine the author’s life, particularly his formative years at Pembroke College and as a soldier in World War I, and how it influenced him and his work, according to a person familiar with the project who was not authorized to talk about it publicly.

David Gleeson, a Tolkien superfan and scholar of sorts about the Middle-earth creator, is currently working on the script. The movie will be produced by Peter Chernin ‘s Chernin Entertainment (“The Heat,” “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”) and set up at Fox Searchlight.

Full story here:
http://www.latimes.com/....story#axzz2lKE1cqRX

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 22 2013, 12:25am)

demnation
Rohan

Nov 22 2013, 5:16am

Post #2 of 16 (333 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

A tumultuous early life aside, there isn't much story to tell. As Carpenter says in his biography, after settling down with Edith and having children nothing much really happened. I just don't know how interesting a movie you could make out of someone writing at his desk. (Unless you went the tacky route, with dreams of Middle-earth and whatnot). It probably wouldn't matter to me how well they did it, anyway; with Tolkien being my literary hero and all, I would probably find any film of his life to be far more aggravating and emotionally draining than any film based off his work.

Mr Baggins began as a comic tale among conventional and inconsistent Grimm's fairy-tale dwarves, and got drawn into the edge of it – so that even Sauron the terrible peeped over the edge.- JRR Tolkien, Letter 19

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 5:47am

Post #3 of 16 (346 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's "formative years at Pembroke College"? [In reply to] Can't Post

When Tolkien was approximately 33-53 years old?

Does anyone know more about the previous Tolkien work of "David Gleeson, a Tolkien superfan and scholar of sorts about the Middle-earth creator"?

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2013, 6:09am

Post #4 of 16 (325 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

He survived two world wars (and his service in World War 1 was specifically mentioned in the tiny blurb on the film), was part of the English 20th century fantasy/period Renaissance (the Inklings), and created a modern mythology; that seems like amble material for a movie.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 22 2013, 7:09am

Post #5 of 16 (319 views)
Shortcut
Artists' lives don't necessarily make good stories. [In reply to] Can't Post

Often quite the opposite is true, because the most interesting activity happens in the artists' mind. (Or the filmmakers try to make the stories more interesting by offering facile connections between their lives and works. Let's hope we don't see Tolkien remembering two towers in greater Birmingham as he writes The Lord of the Rings!) And millions of people served in World War I and lived through World War II, but films of their lives wouldn't necessarily be very interesting thereby. You've read Humphrey Carpenter's biography of Tolkien, right? Demnation cited that line for good reason ("And after this, you might say, nothing else really happened"--in which "this" is Tolkien's move to Oxford in 1925); and Carpenter wasn't trying to write a snappy tale but a sober biography!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2013, 5:21pm

Post #6 of 16 (289 views)
Shortcut
I found this - [In reply to] Can't Post

"The script for the Fox Searchlight project is being written by Tolkien "superfan" David Gleeson, whose credits include screenwriter on Irish movies Cowboys & Angels and The Front Line. Gleeson has an eventful life to pick through: Tolkien lived through both World Wars, serving as a signals officer during World War I, and training as a codebreaker in Britain's Bletchley Park during World War II before crafting the world of Middle-earth and populating it with elves, orcs, and dwarves."

I hadn't heard of Gleeson either. And as we all know; Tolkien didn't train as a codebreaker in WW2.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2013, 8:17pm

Post #7 of 16 (264 views)
Shortcut
But this one will. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, if they can make a compelling movie about King George overcoming his speech impediment, Tolkien's life is more than enough material.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 22 2013, 8:23pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2013, 8:22pm

Post #8 of 16 (261 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...well, there are always creative liberties taken with this films [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose that's more dramatically interesting than Tolkien being turned down in WWII.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2013, 12:05pm

Post #9 of 16 (225 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I think some fans are far too eager to bash this. Could turn out fine.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Fichtenbrenner
Bree

Nov 23 2013, 6:24pm

Post #10 of 16 (230 views)
Shortcut
this is my casting suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
http://i.imgur.com/wd7hJ2q.jpg

(This post was edited by Fichtenbrenner on Nov 23 2013, 6:25pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2013, 6:48pm

Post #11 of 16 (214 views)
Shortcut
I could get onboard with that casting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, he's already served in WW 1, and he's been F. Scott Fitzgerald, so it's not like Tom is wanting for experience! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2013, 10:28am

Post #12 of 16 (179 views)
Shortcut
Oh my... [In reply to] Can't Post

My reaction to this is the same as it was when I heard they were making LotR... Don't bother if you're not going to do it right!

If they're making it it Hollywood, it's already on shaky ground for an authentic, honourable look at the Good Professor's life. I'm scared.

My suggestions for a "known" elder Tolkien... Geoffrey Rush or Anthony Hopkins.
for a younger Tolkien... I'll have to think about that one.

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

ninquelote
The Shire

Nov 26 2013, 2:28am

Post #13 of 16 (165 views)
Shortcut
too hasty [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel maybe it's not a right time to do a bio film for Professor Tolkien.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2013, 5:28am

Post #14 of 16 (142 views)
Shortcut
Agreed it certainly depends on how they handle the project. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ideally they'll not go overly "mainstream", but in way which is done more artfully.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 28 2013, 5:30am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2013, 5:29am

Post #15 of 16 (148 views)
Shortcut
Why is that? The reason it's happening now is due to TH movies coming out... [In reply to] Can't Post

so it stands to reason that they'd want to due it while his work is drawing attention in the cinematic world.

Fichtenbrenner
Bree

Nov 30 2013, 1:13pm

Post #16 of 16 (155 views)
Shortcut
I could imagine thaz [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ideally they'll not go overly "mainstream", but in way which is done more artfully.

They could for example show him while he's drawing characters and landscapes from his stories (which he actually liked doing IRL) and the some little animated scenes could evolve from that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.