Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Hobbit version of the Ring, or the LOTR one?

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Nov 24 2013, 12:06pm

Views: 25
Shortcut
The Hobbit version of the Ring, or the LOTR one? [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea of Bilbo's ring as The One Ring - irredeemably evil creation of Sauron occurred to Tolkien when he was trying to write a sequel to The Hobbit, and instead came out with The Lord of the Rings.

So, in the Hobbit, Bilbo's ring is a useful magical trinket, giving Bilbo the magical power of invisibility. But not much more, if anything more. If Samug got that, I guess he'd be an invisible dragon. It doesn't at that stage in Tolkien's work have all the evil it does later - for example, Bilbo is able to tell the Dwarves (eventually) that he has the ring. None of them is tempted to try and take it from him, a la Boromir.

What if we retrofit the LOTR Ring into The Hobbit story (as the Hobbit movies will kind have to do as they are making The Hobbit an LOTR prequel) and then let Smaug get it? I think we end up with an invisible dragon who wants to become the new Dark Lord!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Subject User Time
What would happen if smaug got the ring? Blkcpt Send a private message to Blkcpt Nov 19 2013, 10:32pm
    Probably wouldn't care for silly things like rings =) Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Nov 19 2013, 10:48pm
    He'd better fill in that blank spot on his left breast ;) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 20 2013, 10:52am
    It's terrible to imagine. AjaxMinoan Send a private message to AjaxMinoan Nov 21 2013, 2:10pm
    The Hobbit version of the Ring, or the LOTR one? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Nov 24 2013, 12:06pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.