Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Orlando sheds light on the Tauriel romance rumours in Sibley Movie Guide - **SPOILERS***
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elwen
Lorien

Nov 18 2013, 4:34pm

Post #26 of 37 (306 views)
Shortcut
Concur. I might be able to stomach this dynamic... [In reply to] Can't Post

if it doesn't take up too much screen time.

And she's definitely a Mary Sue.

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 18 2013, 5:19pm

Post #27 of 37 (282 views)
Shortcut
Me three [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want him to die, because along with Kili, he is my son's favorite character.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 18 2013, 9:28pm

Post #28 of 37 (222 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Tauriel bothers me SOOOOOOO much less than Azog!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot even begin... Azog upturns and uproots the whole damned history of the Dwarves and Orcs going back nearly 200 years from the Hobbit timeline... it hits like a wrecking ball, minus the consolation of a half-nude Miley Cyrus.

Kili and Tauriel???? Really makes no difference to anything. Tolkien was very careful not to talk much about lust, but just as hobbits and most other folk can see the aesthetic beauty of the Elves, it stands to reason that they can also see the eroticising potential of them as well. Kili winking at Tauriel and her blushing a bit for being flirted with by a foriegner of a different race doesn't trouble my rest for a moment.

Gandalf not getting out of Dol Guldur without the whole council (I think he and Radagast will escape together, actually, but until I see it, I am still anxious), Azog running around in the final battle, Bolg never getting his credit, Moria getting even more screentime with nary a mention of being the abode of a demon, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc., ALL of these concern me much more than an implication that Kili is hot for an Elf maid... as that really just doesn't bother me. Unimpressed

In Reply To

In Reply To
and I'm pretty open to certain changes, i.e Azog, but this is not going to enhance the plot in any meaningful way. It's just distracting us from the important plots that are the point of this whole story.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 18 2013, 9:30pm

Post #29 of 37 (213 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. Also, I am not into the notion of casually offing Istari who are not stated to [In reply to] Can't Post

have perished in the books.

In Reply To
I don't want Radagast to die either because, despite the bird poo, I find him somewhat charming in an odd way.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 11:31pm

Post #30 of 37 (194 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well, different horses for different courses [In reply to] Can't Post

And all that…

I'm sure the actress is popular in America, so it's a commercial decision to include her, to boost sales of the film in the US, where AUJ didn't do as well as it did in Europe. I just don't like her excessive modern-looking make-up and the way it clashes with her orange hair, and the overall Robin Hood (or is it Disney's Tinkerbell?) look, and do not feel it belongs in Middle-Earth. That's just a matter of personal preference. As long as she does not have a major part in the film and take away from major characters from the book, such as Thranduil, I will try to ignore her and hope she doesn't take up a lot of screen time. Never know, there is a faint possibility that I may even accept her (in which case I will say so here).

As I've often said, as far as I'm concerned Azog is perfectly fine within the film's storyline, because I don't constantly cling to 'canon', and look at the films differently from the books. It was the same with LOTR. I made the mistake of re-reading the trilogy just before FOTR came out and was completely baffled at what I saw in the cinema. Even that film seemed to bear little relation to what I imagined while reading the books, and the characters in particular, with the exception of Gandalf and Bilbo, were totally alien to me. It was only after seeing the film again because one of my family wanted to see it that I 'got it'. But I've been unable to read LOTR again since then.

I'll be judging the next film according to gut reaction, on its own merits as I always do, without searching for 'departures from canon'.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 18 2013, 11:33pm

Post #31 of 37 (181 views)
Shortcut
Agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a strong feeling in the back of my mind while watching LOTR that Radagast was around somewhere in the background – perhaps he just got immersed in the forest…

In Reply To

In Reply To
I don't want Radagast to die either because, despite the bird poo, I find him somewhat charming in an odd way.

marillaraina
Rohan

Nov 19 2013, 1:43am

Post #32 of 37 (188 views)
Shortcut
I've always liked her but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And all that…

I'm sure the actress is popular in America, so it's a commercial decision to include her, to boost sales of the film in the US, where AUJ didn't do as well as it did in Europe. I just don't like her excessive modern-looking make-up and the way it clashes with her orange hair, and the overall Robin Hood (or is it Disney's Tinkerbell?) look, and do not feel it belongs in Middle-Earth. That's just a matter of personal preference. As long as she does not have a major part in the film and take away from major characters from the book, such as Thranduil, I will try to ignore her and hope she doesn't take up a lot of screen time. Never know, there is a faint possibility that I may even accept her (in which case I will say so here).

As I've often said, as far as I'm concerned Azog is perfectly fine within the film's storyline, because I don't constantly cling to 'canon', and look at the films differently from the books. It was the same with LOTR. I made the mistake of re-reading the trilogy just before FOTR came out and was completely baffled at what I saw in the cinema. Even that film seemed to bear little relation to what I imagined while reading the books, and the characters in particular, with the exception of Gandalf and Bilbo, were totally alien to me. It was only after seeing the film again because one of my family wanted to see it that I 'got it'. But I've been unable to read LOTR again since then.

I'll be judging the next film according to gut reaction, on its own merits as I always do, without searching for 'departures from canon'.

I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with boosting box office in the US. Evangeline Lilly is NOT that popular. She was on a popular show as a character who wasn't very well liked who ended up paired off with another character who wasn't very well liked and then aside from a couple of small movie roles has pretty much disappeared in the 2 or 3 years since the shows been off the air because she was pregnant and had a baby.

Believe me Lilly was not cast for box office clout. When she was cast they had no idea how the Hobbit was going to do in the US vs anywhere else.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 19 2013, 2:43am

Post #33 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I've been saying this whole time. This whole Tauriel thing is detracting. If this was the only reason why she was added...ugh.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 19 2013, 2:45am

Post #34 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
Some of us are evil [In reply to] Can't Post

And want her to die. Evil Seriously though, while she could have been needed back in Mirkwood, her whole inclusion just seems forced and trite. I'd rather she not be around somewhere in LOTR. But that's just me.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 19 2013, 2:47am

Post #35 of 37 (161 views)
Shortcut
Elves are cool [In reply to] Can't Post

But in TH, they weren't the focus. So why should Tauriel be focused on? It's not supposed to be about her. Unsure

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 19 2013, 4:13am

Post #36 of 37 (137 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had a strong feeling in the back of my mind while watching LOTR that Radagast was around somewhere in the background – perhaps he just got immersed in the forest…

In Reply To

In Reply To

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 19 2013, 5:31am

Post #37 of 37 (147 views)
Shortcut
I did not say she should be the focus. [In reply to] Can't Post

But she can imho be a good tool to give them more depth than the book did.

I doubt that the whole movie will be about her.

But a part of the story will be about the Elves and their reaction to the rising evil and the dwarven quest. And their different opinion of it all.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.