Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hmm

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 17 2013, 7:43pm

Views: 56
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we just have two different concepts of what qualifies as a divinity. While the Valar demonstrate qualities similar to the Greco-Roman pantheon, they are also less powerful than Eru, who always stuck me as more of a God-like figure than the rest, being the only one who really knows what his plan for the world is. I always envisioned the Maiar as instruments of the Valar rather than being independently powerful in themselves (so a bit like a Greek demigod who has a patron deity making sure all his/her actions go according to plan). Then again, Aule probably didn't sanction any of Sauron's actions after he threw in his lot with Melkor, so the parallel can only extend so far. So a Maia is the battery to a Vala's power plant, if you follow me.

I guess I really just want to see Sauron appearing as a mangled ruin of his former beauty, less the stereotypical black shadow and more of a fallen angel, and 100% anthropomorphic, rather than sharing the mutations of his creations.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Subject User Time
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Sauron? ecthelionsbeard Send a private message to ecthelionsbeard Nov 16 2013, 8:36pm
    The Villain Constant Dreamer Send a private message to Constant Dreamer Nov 16 2013, 8:47pm
        Not really... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 16 2013, 9:25pm
            Well it's kinda like vader and the emperor MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Nov 16 2013, 9:40pm
                I'm sure that is the case... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 16 2013, 9:42pm
        Smaug should be the main villain Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Nov 16 2013, 10:19pm
            I don't disagree with what you wrote... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 16 2013, 10:34pm
            IN the book... *spoilers* arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Nov 17 2013, 4:23am
    well..... boldog Send a private message to boldog Nov 16 2013, 8:51pm
    I am worried Remus Send a private message to Remus Nov 16 2013, 8:54pm
        I'm with you dubulous Send a private message to dubulous Nov 16 2013, 9:11pm
        Nahh Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Nov 16 2013, 11:52pm
            I would be happy to see Remus Send a private message to Remus Nov 17 2013, 3:46pm
                I could be very wrong... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 17 2013, 3:56pm
                    I agree but Remus Send a private message to Remus Nov 17 2013, 4:01pm
                        Maybe he will show up as some sort of shadow... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 17 2013, 4:10pm
                            I think i trust PJ on this one. sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Nov 17 2013, 5:03pm
                                This is how i picture Sauron since the Last Alliance Remus Send a private message to Remus Nov 17 2013, 5:15pm
                                    But he's not a Vala.. Aitieuriskon Send a private message to Aitieuriskon Nov 17 2013, 5:34pm
                                        He is not a valar Remus Send a private message to Remus Nov 17 2013, 5:38pm
                                            Hmm Aitieuriskon Send a private message to Aitieuriskon Nov 17 2013, 7:43pm
    Don't really know... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 16 2013, 9:23pm
    No Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 17 2013, 12:04am
        Legolas belongs in the story... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Nov 17 2013, 1:39am
    Smaug is not the main villain here. Smeagol Bagginsess Send a private message to Smeagol Bagginsess Nov 17 2013, 4:35am
        Time will tell, of course.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Nov 17 2013, 8:45am
            Rather the opposite... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Nov 17 2013, 10:28am
    Gandalf did prioritise dealing with the Necromancer personally - Hanzkaz Nov 17 2013, 4:59pm
    No, not at all. FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Nov 17 2013, 5:25pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.