Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
I agree about the Eyebrows. That would have either required a much smaller hat

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 13 2008, 8:57am

Views: 127
Shortcut
I agree about the Eyebrows. That would have either required a much smaller hat [In reply to] Can't Post

or. . . well, it would have looked ridiculous if his eyebrows stuck out further than that huge hat. But That, like the omission of Bombadil, would have been a change that made sense, as it would have been ludicrous otherwise. Even Howe, Lee, Nasmith and Hague never drew the eyebrows beyond reason. But The Long beard has come to be synonymous with Gandalf.

And I understand that he should have looked somewhat bedraggled after returning to the Shire (and I was ALMOST pleased with the beard he sported during his arguement with Bilbo, and in the moment when he warned Saruman against using The Palintir. My problem wasn't that the beard looked unkept in that scene, it was that it looked too thin and too short.

I don't expect it too bee the three foot conversation piece that it is in some of Howe's drawing. But half of three feet, and a little below the navel sounds good to me. If it is six inches longer, and is fuller from the start of The Hobbit until Thorin curses it to wither, and there after it is the beard we saw in Fellowship. . . well, then I will understand. LOL

If, throughout the film, it is at least as long and thick as its best moments in Fellowship, I will be okay. But when it is too short (as God knows it was in ROTK). . . it kind of takes me out of the moment. I didn't have, as I said, Agent Smith moments with Hugo Weaving. I knew who he was, but when I saw him as Elrond, I said "he looks the part, and he is acting it well" and that was enough for me. I enjoyed the good job he did in the role he was playing, and refused to dwell on other parts he had played. But every time I looked at that goatee, as much as I enjoyed Mckellen's portrayl overall, there was a part of me that said. . . "Upmf. . . that beard ain't right! Where is the rest of his Beard." For those of you who think it immaterial. . . well just imagine how you will feel if Thorin shows up. . . CLEAN SHAVEN! lol

And 5x5 you KNOW I expect that blue flame and lightning. If Gandalf runs into the great goblins through the front entrance, lair swinging his staff and sword, and puts out the fire by throwing his cloak on top of it, and then running over and simply stabbing the goblin king, no blue smoke, no burning beams, nothing but a war cry. . . I will have to fight SOMEBODY. HE is a Wizard, not a derned Samuari. I don't mind him having ninja warrior skills as well, but her darn well better have his magic displayed appropriately first!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
Gandalf's Beard ! AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 12 2008, 10:44am
    Yeah .. Elfriend Send a private message to Elfriend Jan 12 2008, 11:02am
        Well... Rabittooth Send a private message to Rabittooth Jan 12 2008, 5:18pm
    In the scene you're describing grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 12 2008, 10:22pm
    "Merlin's Beard!" Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Jan 13 2008, 4:32am
    Lions and Tigers and Beards Oh My! Tim Send a private message to Tim Jan 13 2008, 4:59am
        I agree about the Eyebrows. That would have either required a much smaller hat AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 13 2008, 8:57am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.