Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Some things I wish were different in aUJ
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

vinsanity
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 8:18pm

Post #26 of 34 (154 views)
Shortcut
my take [In reply to] Can't Post

1 - in the dinner scene, the burps, specially Ori burping (and that was a very bad cut, in one frame Ori is sitting and laughing at the others dwarves and they cut to him already standing up burping loudly) that scene i would edit out, it's just stupid toilet humour and doesn't add anything

2 - Would change William's voice, is so annoying, specially when he's screaming, i don't mind the voices of Tom and Bert.

3 - About Radagast, i don't mind the sled bunny, (that's probably one of the few PJ inventions that i didn't mind in this film) but i can't stand the stick insect thing, and the smoking pipe scene, remove those scenes, and the bird poo(it's so distracting) and Radagast would have been a much better character, you don't need those 2 scenes or bird crap to show he's a quirky or eccentric character.

4 - As in the book, Azog should have been killed in the battle at Azanulbizar, it would still be killed by Thorin (instead of Daín, as in the book) and Bolg would have been there as well and would had sworn vengeance to Thorin for killing his father.

5 - I would put the High Fells scene between the Misty Mountains/Goblintown scenes. (I'm still wondering how they will put that scene in DOS)

6 - The Goblin King death. It would have been cool if he was killed by Thorin with the Orcrist, the Goblin Cleaver, and no "that would do it" line.

And on a more technical stuff:

- No 3D cameras HFR stuff (no, that is not going to be the future of movies, it's been almost a year since AUJ came out and since then this technology didn't trend in Hollywood as PJ was maybe hoping for, unlike 3D, right after Avatar came out, the studios started to force movies to use 3D, whether shooting in 3D or post-converted) i don't mind PJ shooting in digital thou, it would been cool if he shot in 35 mm like in LOTR, at least it would had that consistency between the 2 trilogies.
- without the 3D, they could have used the bigatures again.
- as obvious, prosthetics orcs FTW and not CGI unless in wideshots like they did in LOTR (i don't buy the explanation of PJ using CG because he didn't want those creatures to have have human propotions and the human triangle (the area between the eyes and mouth) because A) the CG goblins and orcs still have the human triangle and B) it goes against what Saruman says to Lurtz that orcs were elves once, elves have human proportions and the human triangle)
- And as stated above by other user, the orange and teal colour grading. Except the scenes shot on location who uses natural light, all the scenes filmed in studio are either sun-setting at day or night at full moon.

(This post was edited by vinsanity on Nov 13 2013, 8:23pm)

Israfellius
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 8:32pm

Post #27 of 34 (146 views)
Shortcut
Help us, more [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my problem with Thorin yelling "Help us!" is that it is too obviously for the benefit of the audience; it takes you out of the film for a second. I assume that Peter thought there might be audience members who didn't know why "the dude on the moose" is there. Maybe some of the audience might think Thranduil was there to attack the dwarves. By inserting a big ol' "Help us!" it sort of thwarts any naivety in the audience. I understand, but still think it could have been worked out better.

Thranduil appeared only minutes after the dragon attacked. This would mean he had to have left the forest on other intentions.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 8:37pm

Post #28 of 34 (128 views)
Shortcut
Not something that should be avoided altogether [In reply to] Can't Post

Orange and blue are naturally occurring colors. Yes, they can be overdone (Goblintown), but there are reasons for them sometimes. Firelight against a sky, for example...

I do miss the muted, dirty watercolor tones of LOTR though. That was unique.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 13 2013, 8:42pm

Post #29 of 34 (139 views)
Shortcut
I largely agree with this sentiment, though my list of changes would be different. [In reply to] Can't Post

In my change list, the Old Took Party and the schism twixt Elf and dwarf King would remain, as would the added Rivendell scenes, minus the Ring painting gazing and minus the very last moment of Kili throwing food at statuary.

Azog would be gone, save for at the Azanulbizar battle where Bolg would be present and shown looking on in rage at the slaying of his father, and where Bolg himself would be persued by a battle frenzied Thorin into the gates of Moria... where we would see the dwarven heir freeze and go slack faced (Dain would be with him), get a glimpse of the distant Shadow of The Balrog, and still see a (more solemn faced) Thorin standing magnificent against the sunlight a short time later for Balin's closing words.

Bolg, the spawn of Azog, with a brief explain of his relation to Azog (thus clarifying his look of fury upon seeing the other orc fall earlier in the film) would be the hunter of the dwarven company and the present antagonist of the film.

I would at least make some minor amends to the timeline changes by having Gandalf clarify the "abandoned" comment with some lines of his having investigated the fortrees before long ago, and found whatever evil had laired in it long departed etc.

I'd have made the pinecone fires blue and slightly more concussive. Ahh, and less Bird poop with Radagast, no stick insect, no eyerolling, no troll mucus, no belching contests, a much abbreviated if not excluded rabbit chase. I think that is all in the changes department from me.

In Reply To
I really think AUJ is a good movie that mainly suffered from expectations that were never realistic and that would have not been met to an even higher degree hadn't the filmmakers decided to go for an expanded Hobbit.

But there are still some things I would like to change which would make the movie better instantly imho. It comes down to two, really.

2. Leave the Stone Giants (who look impressive and I like them even more since I have seen the terrific artwork and thought that went into them) as shadows battleing each other in the mist, without the company being involved.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 16 2013, 8:29pm)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2013, 9:48pm

Post #30 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100% with the suggestions you've listed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also remove the food fight at Rivendell, and Kili making eyes at the Elves of both sexes; I'd also change to stone giants sequence as suggested to make them glimpses further off in the mist, not the amusement park attraction we got.

In Reply To

1 - in the dinner scene, the burps, specially
Ori burping (and that was a very bad cut, in one frame Ori is sitting and
laughing at the others dwarves and they cut to him already standing up burping
loudly) that scene i would edit out, it's just stupid toilet humour and doesn't
add anything

2 - Would change William's voice, is so annoying,
specially when he's screaming, i don't mind the voices of Tom and Bert.

3 - About Radagast, i don't mind the sled bunny, (that's probably one of
the few PJ inventions that i didn't mind in this film) but i can't stand the
stick insect thing, and the smoking pipe scene, remove those scenes, and the
bird poo(it's so distracting) and Radagast would have been a much better
character, you don't need those 2 scenes or bird crap to show he's a quirky or
eccentric character.

4 - As in the book, Azog should have been killed
in the battle at Azanulbizar, it would still be killed by Thorin (instead of
Daín, as in the book) and Bolg would have been there as well and would had sworn
vengeance to Thorin for killing his father.

5 - I would put the High
Fells scene between the Misty Mountains/Goblintown scenes. (I'm still wondering
how they will put that scene in DOS)

6 - The Goblin King death. It
would have been cool if he was killed by Thorin with the Orcrist, the Goblin
Cleaver, and no "that would do it" line.

And on a more technical
stuff:

- No 3D cameras HFR stuff (no, that is not going to be the
future of movies, it's been almost a year since AUJ came out and since then this
technology didn't trend in Hollywood as PJ was maybe hoping for, unlike 3D,
right after Avatar came out, the studios started to force movies to use 3D,
whether shooting in 3D or post-converted) i don't mind PJ shooting in digital
thou, it would been cool if he shot in 35 mm like in LOTR, at least it would had
that consistency between the 2 trilogies.
- without the 3D, they could
have used the bigatures again.
- as obvious, prosthetics orcs FTW and not
CGI unless in wideshots like they did in LOTR (i don't buy the explanation of PJ
using CG because he didn't want those creatures to have have human propotions
and the human triangle (the area between the eyes and mouth) because A) the CG
goblins and orcs still have the human triangle and B) it goes against what
Saruman says to Lurtz that orcs were elves once, elves have human proportions
and the human triangle)
- And as stated above by other user, the orange
and teal colour grading. Except the scenes shot on location who uses natural
light, all the scenes filmed in studio are either sun-setting at day or night at
full moon.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

vinsanity
The Shire

Nov 13 2013, 11:07pm

Post #31 of 34 (92 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd also remove the food fight at Rivendell, and Kili making eyes at the Elves of both sexes; I'd also change to stone giants sequence as suggested to make them glimpses further off in the mist, not the amusement park attraction we got.

Yeah, forgot about the food fight and Kili being the "hot dwarf", and the fountain scene, also a bit unnecessary. I didn't mind the Stone giants sequence, but i liked what was suggested, have them fight at a distance, just like in the book :)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2013, 12:07am

Post #32 of 34 (84 views)
Shortcut
The things I would have changed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...would be the heavy use of CGI for the Orcs, the unrealistic tumbles in Goblin-town, the up-close-and-personal stone giants (would have had them as shapes in the distance), the burp/snot/stick insect gags, and most of all, Azog surviving the battle outside Moria.

I also would have added an explanation of where Gandalf got the map and key, and as AO said, would have Gandalf make it clear that he'd been to Dol Guldur before.

Other than that, I would have kept it as is.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Nov 14 2013, 12:13am)

Sarn Ford
The Shire

Nov 14 2013, 4:18am

Post #33 of 34 (56 views)
Shortcut
this & that [In reply to] Can't Post

After he got out of the mountain, I would have shown Bilbo slipping past the Dwarf-guards and their embarrassment when he appeared in the middle of their camp.
Stone giants should have been off in the distance.

Matt

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 14 2013, 5:06am

Post #34 of 34 (53 views)
Shortcut
Map and key [In reply to] Can't Post

We're supposed to get that information in DOS, according to Philippa in the AUJ commentary.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.