Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
why are there so many knitted mittens?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2013, 8:31pm

Post #26 of 37 (164 views)
Shortcut
LotR knitters unite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, knitting truly is an ancient craft, steeped in history and was at one point in time utilized by nearly everyone of every social class. It is very sturdy and great for adventuring in!

Nice gloves! I still haven't learned how to knit in the round on three needles yet, but you seem to be quite good at it! Very even stitches, and I like the colors! I'm planning to start a sweater soon myself.

patrickk
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 9:11pm

Post #27 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
Yup they do catch on things [In reply to] Can't Post

...but they do not tear. Like any gloves there are time you might have to take them off to do/grab things, but they tear much les than plastic based fabrics.

glor
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 10:22pm

Post #28 of 37 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yes Felted/Fulled but if they used traditional wool processing... [In reply to] Can't Post

the resultant yarn would not be stripped of it's oils. Such yarn as is still used for traditonal fishermans Ganseys maintains a weatherproof aspect when knitted, the wool's natural oils provide some resistance to damp and cold.

( I knew that Clara Parkes class was useful, it's been more useful than I expected! Cool)

(This post was edited by glor on Nov 13 2013, 10:22pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 13 2013, 10:40pm

Post #29 of 37 (149 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I would love a scene where [In reply to] Can't Post

the dwarves stop for a rest and take out their crochet and knitting. Laugh

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 13 2013, 11:08pm

Post #30 of 37 (125 views)
Shortcut
Looks good - I've never tried gloves [In reply to] Can't Post

And I forgot about felting. And hadn't come across knitting for the very rich - except stockings and presumably other undergarments. Oh, and Queen Victoria knitted for babies and children. And then knitting became fashionable around the 1910s and 20s, didn't it.... Sorry, thinking on my feet here....

Or at least, on my socks! Wink

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 12:05am

Post #31 of 37 (123 views)
Shortcut
I still don't understand the reference to fudge ripple! [In reply to] Can't Post

All this about the knitting is most fascinating, and the point of the OP, but has ice cream appeared in these films somewhere I'm not aware of? Why the discussion about ice and summer/winter, etc.? Ice cream was certainly available pre-refrigeration, but what does that have to do with The Hobbit?CrazyTongue

Help!
Thank you.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2013, 12:10am

Post #32 of 37 (123 views)
Shortcut
The irony here... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that I'm actually allergic to wool - touching it even briefly makes me itch and prolonged exposure brings me out in a rash. I can't wear anything wool or wool blend unless it's lined and even then I hate having to touch it to put it on or take it off. All of this makes me very grateful indeed to have modern alternatives. A generation ago I would have just had to put up with it as best I could. I am also sometimes jealous when I see people wearing (and comfortable in) lovely wool sweaters, coats, etc. I love the look of them but I can't touch. *sigh* But then, I can't wear polyester or acrylic either, and most "fleece" and microfiber things build up so much static electricity they make me uncomfortable, so even the age of manmade fibers is not without its challenges. I'm just overly sensitive, I guess. Tongue

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 2:54am

Post #33 of 37 (132 views)
Shortcut
Holy cr*p! If Thorin whipped his out... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a number of knitters who would spontaneously combust in the theater! But for me, Fili showing off his sock might be too much to handle. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kim
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 5:04am

Post #34 of 37 (106 views)
Shortcut
OMG, I've never clicked on a link faster [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's not just the knitters who would spontaneously combust!!! EvilLaugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 5:30am

Post #35 of 37 (91 views)
Shortcut
Whew - got that right Kim! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and it's not just the knitters who would spontaneously combust!!! EvilLaugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2013, 6:35pm

Post #36 of 37 (61 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sisters...talk about unraveling!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 14 2013, 9:58pm

Post #37 of 37 (49 views)
Shortcut
Literally and figuritively!!!! Yes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Oh, sisters...talk about unraveling!! :D

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.