Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Preparing for a new nightmare of reviews.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Nov 13 2013, 4:00am

Post #26 of 41 (345 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

this is why you should ignore them. Put too much stock in what they say and they can ruin the fun.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Snowghost77
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 4:17am

Post #27 of 41 (377 views)
Shortcut
I just dont get it [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless your in the film industry, Ill never understand why some people worry about what other people think about a movie...sure id like my friends and family to enjoy a certain movie as much as I do, but i dont lose sleep over even that. I certainly could care less about what joe shmoe thinks of a film.
My friends, dont worry yourselves on something that has no bearing on your life...if you like it, then that's all that should really matter.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty heroes of seal team 6, the PJ, and all those who fell in Tangi
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 8:09am

Post #28 of 41 (300 views)
Shortcut
Oh I forgot 48 fps/ HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading the complaint about HFR was so annoying. I hope this time the reviewers should focus more on the story, acting, pacing etc.
It may good showing them non-HFR DoS at premiere but if not I think they would get use to it this time.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 8:44am

Post #29 of 41 (316 views)
Shortcut
Ah no I didn't think DoS wouldn't be able to match AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I have seen about DoS (Trailer, Clip, Tapestry etc) all looks promising. I just think DoS would be better than AUJ but not much. My idea has based on the fact that all of trilogy movie continue getting lower score as it go on. Few (The Dark Knight and X-Men 2) can break this curse and I hope DoS can do the same.

(This post was edited by Wordofmask on Nov 13 2013, 8:46am)

Dipling
Rivendell

Nov 13 2013, 8:45am

Post #30 of 41 (298 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

He also said, that he didn't expect any awards for AUJ. So he expected more of a negative stance towards it.
For reasons we al know (HFR, 2-3, comparing to LOTR, ...).

But in the vlog 11 (i think, when they started shooting pick ups), he said, that these will be great movies. And i belive him. He is much more confident.

Why he wasn't for AUJ, we all saw in appendices 7. So many problems, ...

In Reply To
that this was shaping up to be the best of all the middle earth films yet? he said that somewhere! i heard it...confirmation or am i just crazy?

perhaps it'll be somewhere in the low 80s...not that it matters much

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 9:14am

Post #31 of 41 (295 views)
Shortcut
As stated [In reply to] Can't Post

And I do like AUJ alot, btw, but I understand why it took some critical hits. It will be one of those films that surpass the original. As stated above, it does happen but it's not often.

Empire Strikes Back, T2, X2, Dark Knight, God Father, Spider Man and I've heard some people even say TTT.

At the end of the day, and no matter how many critics give trash to AUJ, It's amusing because it's still a billion dollar earned movie, and the 14th film to ever achieve such claim to it's name. I expect better reviews and numbers from DoS.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 13 2013, 10:53am

Post #32 of 41 (280 views)
Shortcut
Jus'...Like this WAR MOVIE..expression...? [In reply to] Can't Post

"DAMN the (Critics) TORPEDO..S...

FULL Speed ahead..."

BombyBelievesInSirPJ

Nolane
Bree

Nov 13 2013, 3:32pm

Post #33 of 41 (220 views)
Shortcut
Review should be better [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think that overall reviews for DOS will be better than AUJ. Should be in the 75% to 80% positive range on Rotten Tomatoes, rather than 65% for AUJ. That said, critics don't like to ever admit they are wrong, so I would expect that many of the critics who did not like the first movie will say they don't like this one either. Some will say, this is better than the last. There may be a few even that will like the first one better. Also, critics don't like fantasy movies on the whole to begin with.

As to specific criticisms by the critics look for the following:
1: They will certainly complain about HFR again (still too new a technology for them to handle).
2: They will bash the 3D (because they love bashing 3D for every movie except for "Gravity" for some reason).
3: They will continue to gripe about the fact that there are three movies instead of the one they thought it should be.
4: Some will say the darker tone of the second movie is not what the "written for children" Hobbit book is all about, and Peter Jackson is just trying too hard to make this trilogy into another LOTR trilogy.
5: They will mercilessly rip new characters that are not in the book.
6: They will complain that there are too many scenes that are not in the book that bog down the main story.
7: They will say there is way too much CGI- they attack any movie with a lot of CGI (which means most fantasy, horror or science fiction movies).
8: Some will just be bitter that despite their "justified" bad reviews did not stop AUJ from being a smash hit and will rip DOS just to try to get it to fail.
9: They will complain there is not enough "character development" and that there is "too much action", which they complain about in every movie with action.

All of this said, I still think the reviews will improve, especially if the movie itself is even better than AUJ. For the record I loved AUJ, but have a feeling DOS will be even better. It will be faster paced with more action, the special effects will be even better, it is a better part of the overall story and we will be seeing all new things, instead of retreading ground already covered by FOTR. I think all of this will help generate more positive reviews as well.

I have zero faith in movie critics in general, however, as most of them are pompous asses, so we shall see.

Imladris18
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 3:44pm

Post #34 of 41 (206 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the thing is, many of those points contradict criticisms of AUJ. I can't stand critics.

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 5:03pm

Post #35 of 41 (179 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right in most respects [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, they'll still be moaning about the 48fps. (Personally I think they need to get a life. The film was brilliant in that format IMO, and besides it was offered for viewing in every other format imaginable.) And I think you're right about the first several points. But I don't think they will complain about new characters not in the book because I doubt most critics have even read the book. The die-hard book fans are already complaining before even seeing the film, and this is predictable, as well as the complaint about too much CGI. As for the 'too much action' gripe, I think the opposite: the critics for the most part seemed to loathe the beginning of the film, which was primarily establishing the characters, and called it boring and slow. They didn't get excited until the action picked up later on. At least that's how I saw it in the reviews I read. Honestly, most times I was wondering if the critics even watched the same film I did. And I notice they tend to stick together in their opinions, whether good or bad; there's rarely a wide divergence. I think maybe it's something you learn in Famous Critics School. (Okay, I'm being snarky...I'll leave it at that.) And I completely agree with your last sentence.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kim
Valinor

Nov 13 2013, 5:46pm

Post #36 of 41 (155 views)
Shortcut
great expression Bomby! [In reply to] Can't Post

Full speed ahead indeed! Cool

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 7:19pm

Post #37 of 41 (152 views)
Shortcut
In Sweden the reviews for AUJ were... [In reply to] Can't Post

... quite good actually. 4/5 or 3/5 so it matches the RT score. But honestly, AUJ-era was not a nightmare of reviews. Sure, it was not as good as the LOTR films but it was still not bad! Bad would have been 50% RT or less like the Twilight saga and I don't think PJ could do Movies that bad even if he wanted to.
Don't mind the reviews. I loved AUJ. I hope I will love DoS just as much!

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 7:31pm

Post #38 of 41 (129 views)
Shortcut
I think it's likely that the reviews will be better this time around [In reply to] Can't Post

One: Hopefully, the 48fps controversy will have died down come review time. You couldn't read very many reviews for AUJ without hearing about the issue and how it was apparently significant enough to affect the judgment of a great many reviewers.

Two: Most of the set-up has already been done by AUJ. Peter mentioned that the benefit of doing the second film in a series is that you can jump right back in without having to worry about setting things up all over again. Therefore, we're not likely to have any "set-up" sequences that are as long as Bag End (which I loved, but countless critics were less than thrilled about some of the slower sections). There's Beorn, of course, but I think his bits are going to be more exciting for a general audience.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 7:37pm

Post #39 of 41 (112 views)
Shortcut
I nearly missed it too! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I was reading how AWFUL 48fps looked, there even was an article on TORn about it, I nearly went: Hm, maybe I should see the Hobbit in 2D. But I changed my mind, I wanted to make up my own opinion of it - and it was fantastic!
So I would not listen much to critics, and I wouldn't listen too much on TORn staff either, everyone thinks different and it is okay Smile

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2013, 12:35am

Post #40 of 41 (85 views)
Shortcut
He did say that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I don't agree with quite a few things he's done or said with regard to adapting Tolkien. He's got a big penchant for gross-out humor, and an equally big penchant for making things very over-the-top. He also said that he apparently really enjoyed deviating from the source material, which was a statement I found a bit worrisome. So with all due respect to Peter Jackson, just because he feels that way it doesn't mean that I am going to. I do hope that I will agree with him though!!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 14 2013, 11:54am

Post #41 of 41 (50 views)
Shortcut
The thing is, Salmacis [In reply to] Can't Post

I now view the entire project as PJ's adaptation of The Hobbit, and as long as the story makes sense within the context of the film's storyline, I'm fine with that. Although it is sort of recognisable as the story in the book, very many aspects are completely different. For instance, the biggest change is from the cutout characters of the book to individuals with personality. I would not have cared for the book characters at all, and would likely not even have seen the film had such characteristics been retained from the book.

PJ has always been over the top, and has his beloved 'gross' moments and even though I don't appreciate such odd moments in his films, I can easily live with them because there is so much else that I like about his Middle-Earth films. And I like the fact that he is his own man and has such a clear vision as to what he wants to film something that clearly communicates itself to those who work with him.

Have you seen the bonus footage that comes with the EE DVD? Fascinating stuff.

In Reply To
...but I don't agree with quite a few things he's done or said with regard to adapting Tolkien. He's got a big penchant for gross-out humor, and an equally big penchant for making things very over-the-top. He also said that he apparently really enjoyed deviating from the source material, which was a statement I found a bit worrisome. So with all due respect to Peter Jackson, just because he feels that way it doesn't mean that I am going to. I do hope that I will agree with him though!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.