Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Cheesy Dialogue in AUJ, DOS
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 11:16pm

Post #26 of 34 (196 views)
Shortcut
?????? wrong????? [In reply to] Can't Post

*Shocked* "I've never been so wrong..... " don't think that's a "common line" and in any case that scene, in context of Thorin crossing a huge mental and emotional gap, is beyond perfection. And in the same context Thorin isn't "pranking" Bilbo, he's a hardened warrior crossing a huge chasm with his feelings and coming to to terms with the fact that the hobbit he has been utterly dismissive of just risked his own life to save Thorin's life - which is expressed initially as anger, because that's Thorin. It's not like he was dealing with someone he's known and loved for a long time, and can trust in, like Dwalin, Balin, etc. Beautifully done.

Can't decide what my favorite AUJ scene is but it's one of the top five, for me.

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 13 2013, 12:31am

Post #27 of 34 (173 views)
Shortcut
Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hopefully nothing falls lower than the finale of AUJ when Thorin awkwardly fakes being angry at Bilbo only to prank him and say "I have never been so wrong in my life."

Just wanting to hear some thoughts!

Loved the scene.

The Great Goblin awkward stuff in the extended version I'm on the fence though. (Rivendell...Second Age..ack, couldn't give it away.)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 13 2013, 2:05am

Post #28 of 34 (168 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gawd! [In reply to] Can't Post

"You like death? Then let me give it to you!"

Let me guess, Tauriel says that? Ugh! That is so cheesy. Her whole character is cheesy. This whole thing is getting cheesy. After this, I can't help but quote this line from a movie:
"Get ready for a whole mess of ugly, coming from a neverending parade of stupid." Crazy

http://media.photobucket.com/user/Archangel_EPOB/media/DnD4e_Pics_project/People/Dungeon171085-blackwingelf.jpg.html?filters[term]=Elf%20Deities&filters[primary]=images

Mikah
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 3:35am

Post #29 of 34 (129 views)
Shortcut
Lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

I chuckled when I read that...it really doesn't sound elvish does it?

Mikah
Lorien

Nov 13 2013, 3:39am

Post #30 of 34 (139 views)
Shortcut
And you would be right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel does say that! I am looking very forward to the movie, but I must confess that I cringed over that line....I shudder thinking about it. It is truly cheesy!

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Nov 13 2013, 5:51am

Post #31 of 34 (116 views)
Shortcut
oh no [In reply to] Can't Post

are people still believing these three movies come only from one book and PJ's mind? Really?

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 13 2013, 6:51am

Post #32 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
If you trust theonering.net [In reply to] Can't Post

http://archives.theonering.net/features/script/

For more chuckles check out four of the LOTR audition scripts. (Page down a few posts.)

http://forums.theonering.com/...hp?t=81491&p=2821783

More were on the old seatofkings.net (or seatofkings.com), but it's now defunct.

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”
-JRR Tolkien

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 13 2013, 11:24am

Post #33 of 34 (94 views)
Shortcut
Bomby likes Cheese...but you have to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

In Spanish,
in German,
In French,
In Japanese,
in Portugese,

these Lines of dialogue
may be Stunning?

For those of us who are
"English Centric"..please

Remember every word
will be translated into something
that MIGHT mean ALOT
to a young viewer
in Bangladesh?

Film is Forever,
Dialogue is not?

Keep it simple
is often the Best plan.

Bomby

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2013, 11:45am

Post #34 of 34 (88 views)
Shortcut
Great read. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks.

It is also interesting how on that forum many people propose even more radical deviations from the book in order to create a better FILM - like dealing with the several endings and the Black-Gate-Battle.

I always find myself arguing with both friends who are film-nerd and friends who are Middle-earth-nerds (I am the only one spinning between the two) and their ideas for improvement usually go exactly in the opposite direction, especially now for AUJ.

Often makes me think thankful to have a filmmaking team who somehow found the middle-way :)

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.