Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Making of featurette on Beorn's House

Thorin's Oakenshield
The Shire

Nov 11 2013, 12:02am

Post #1 of 19 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Making of featurette on Beorn's House Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bicwV1Bmcqk

I know there have been a few threads on Beorn over the last few pages, but I don't think this video has been posted in any of them.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 12:05am

Post #2 of 19 (670 views)
Shortcut
mr baggins [In reply to] Can't Post

this was also officially posted earlier from the extended edition extras

http://www.youtube.com/...Kvi08NgyGmJZm982w_cb

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

haarp
Rivendell

Nov 11 2013, 12:07am

Post #3 of 19 (614 views)
Shortcut
7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Love Beorn actor's accent

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 11 2013, 12:18am

Post #4 of 19 (597 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea this featurette even existed. Beorn's lodge looks incredible.

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 11 2013, 1:16am

Post #5 of 19 (516 views)
Shortcut
Just when I think I can't get more excited [In reply to] Can't Post

for Beorn, you post this! Thanks a ton, I hadn't seen this. I have a feeling these scenes are going to be awesome. I'm so excited fir ant thing Beorn. Heart

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 2:06am

Post #6 of 19 (462 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad they don't throw food at Beorn's house!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was really annoying when the Dwarves did that at Rivendell in the EE. They make a point about not doing it at Beorn's, which is great.

To me the scale of the house seems a little off, more like for someone 12 feet tall or something rather than Beorn's supposed size of 8ft.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 2:14am

Post #7 of 19 (454 views)
Shortcut
12 feet tall [In reply to] Can't Post

Bear form.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 3:52am

Post #8 of 19 (429 views)
Shortcut
Just noticed something about Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see this in the previous trailers - his eyes totally do give off a spotlight like in the cartoon Hobbit movie! Look at the structure behind Bilbo light up after Smaug's eye gets around the corner. Wow, I didn't think they would do that detail, but I know some people will be thrilled about it!

Here is a screencap of Smaug's eye spotlight, I put it in a link so anyone who was avoiding any sort of spoiler can avoid it . It looks better when you see it moving.

(P.S., Beorn's house looks IMMACULATE, I cannot wait another month!)

(This post was edited by tarasaurus on Nov 11 2013, 3:57am)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 4:00am

Post #9 of 19 (378 views)
Shortcut
3 meters [In reply to] Can't Post

Persbrandt had stated 3 meters tall in an interview last year which would seem closer to the scale of the house. I think his Bear form will be larger than 12 feet as his head alone in Bear form from the scene where he is crashing in the front door is almost as tall as a dwarf.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 11 2013, 10:17am

Post #10 of 19 (268 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so looking forward to those scenes. Thanks for the link.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 10:32am

Post #11 of 19 (263 views)
Shortcut
The attention to detail in this set is remarkable. [In reply to] Can't Post

They could have paid less attention to the carvings, but it looks as though the team put a lot of thought into how Beorn would design his halls. I particularly enjoyed the carved animal chess set; it's a nice tribute to the animals serving the Company in the book.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Nov 11 2013, 10:32am)

deskp
Lorien

Nov 11 2013, 10:35am

Post #12 of 19 (240 views)
Shortcut
scale. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont forget the dwarves are small... If the dwarves are like 4 feet, that emans they are about half Beorns size.

Thee chair for example does look like they were made for people twize the size of the dwarves.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 11 2013, 12:29pm

Post #13 of 19 (209 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an incredible amount of effort must have gone into making that set.

Thanks very much for posting this.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Nov 11 2013, 1:13pm

Post #14 of 19 (185 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 11 2013, 2:07pm

Post #15 of 19 (167 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

one day these will be scenes I pause and/or replay, just so I can take in as much detail as possible. And I hope there's good solid scenes at Beorn's house - e.g., not rushed through. And much more on Beorn in an eventual EE version.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Nov 11 2013, 2:08pm)

Oin K
Rivendell

Nov 11 2013, 6:33pm

Post #16 of 19 (131 views)
Shortcut
The pawns on that chess set are hedgehogs. I wonder if Radagast is Beorn's chess partner [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, given the time frame, that couldn't really be chess, but rather a completely different game that happens to have the same board layout and array of pieces. ;)

I do wonder, though, if we'll see the link between Radagast and Beorn, given their similar sensibilities and the fact that in the book Beorn is said to know Radagast. It would be nice to see that relationship on the screen.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 7:52pm

Post #17 of 19 (132 views)
Shortcut
They already mentioned golf in AUJ lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Although, given the time frame, that couldn't really be chess, but rather a completely different game that happens to have the same board layout and array of pieces. ;)

I do wonder, though, if we'll see the link between Radagast and Beorn, given their similar sensibilities and the fact that in the book Beorn is said to know Radagast. It would be nice to see that relationship on the screen.

imin
Valinor

Nov 11 2013, 10:50pm

Post #18 of 19 (113 views)
Shortcut
Beorns hall/home [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks incredible, really looking forward to seeing this set - have said so since we saw a glimpse in one of the vlogs a long time ago and what we saw here makes me want to see it even more!

I would love to have that massive chair of his in my home!

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Kim
Valinor

Nov 12 2013, 1:30am

Post #19 of 19 (108 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

we're going to be spending a lot of time exploring the details of his house when the movie comes out. Thanks for sharing. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.