Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
2013 Box Office for DoS
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 10:51am

Post #26 of 40 (212 views)
Shortcut
It will likely beat Thor 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

It will not beat Iron Man 3.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 1:46pm

Post #27 of 40 (186 views)
Shortcut
Thor 2 was OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Primarily because of the likeable Chris Hemsworth and the trickster, played by Tom Hiddlestone, who is a very good actor in general. The storyline and effects were nothing special, just OK. (I much prefer the Thor franchise to Iron Man, which I really do not like.)

I was surprised to see the first trailer for DOS with Thor, and don't think it looks too impressive. I wish they were showing that third 'trailer', which came out last week. That could do much to sell the film.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 2:33pm

Post #28 of 40 (179 views)
Shortcut
I am as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured it would be in the 95-100 million range to be honest. Thor is popular but he isn't as popular as Stark mostly because of Robert Downey Jr. He's a big selling point for any of these comic book movies. Thor 2 will still end up I thinking finishing strong getting to 1 billion wouldn't surprise me but it won't quite hit IM3 numbers I'd say.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 2:48pm

Post #29 of 40 (170 views)
Shortcut
$1b for Thor 2 would surprise me very much [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll probably do about $700m, maybe $750m, worldwide.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 3:06pm

Post #30 of 40 (156 views)
Shortcut
Hope you're surprised then. [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 3:14pm

Post #31 of 40 (161 views)
Shortcut
There's just no way of that happening :P [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll barely top $200m domestic, maybe around $230m, so it would need over $750m overseas, not happening, not even close. Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 3:26pm

Post #32 of 40 (153 views)
Shortcut
We shall see I suppose. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 9:03pm

Post #33 of 40 (111 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, seems like a far stretch [In reply to] Can't Post

After looking at the Box Office and comparing the groos between all the Iron Man films and Thor films it doesn't look likely for Thor.
Thor opened with 100k less than Iron Man 3. Even if Thor 2 doubled it's earnings from Thor 1 it would still be shy of the I billion mark. Iron Man 3 did double it's earnings drom iron Man 2, but it also opened with a massive 100k (just about) more than Thor 2 did this weekend. That's one hefty weekend advantage over Thor. The word to mouth for Thor would have to be so insane to draw that amount of people out to see Thor 2, and I just don't see it happening since Rotten Tomatoes is already hard at work giving it some bad ratings, or lower than Iron Man 3 anyhow.

As much as I'd love to see the gap with Iron Man closer, I don't see it happening.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 9:12pm

Post #34 of 40 (106 views)
Shortcut
It may not [In reply to] Can't Post

and RT can give it bad press all it wants most of what I've seen from people who saw Thor 2 has been nothing but positive. So that really is more important than RT or any site like it saying bad stuff. It most likely won't get to 1 billion but I expect it to be close to it and if the word of mouth stays strong it could hit it. The bad thing for it is the fact that The Hunger Games comes out in a couple weeks.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 9:27pm

Post #35 of 40 (102 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to like Thor 2... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but it just left me completely cold. Kind of agreed with the New York Post critic:

If "The Lord of the Rings" was ancient legends sifted through the sensibility of an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon studies, then "Thor: The Dark World" is grand Norse myth run through the minds of 9-year-olds.

Okay that is a bit evil and not the full story but somehow I had to smile a bit at the comparison. Though, thinking about it... the RT score remains a joke. Although I found it to be "cold" it is still miles ahead of Iron Man (all three, still canÄt believe I paid money to watch them all).

Anyway, I think people should not underestimate the competition of DoS. I often read now that AUJ had "far harder competition"... but if I count correctly DoS faces movies whicha re maybe not all such "biggies" as Django and Les Mis were but more in total and more with 3D... and the absolute megahit (at elast in the USA) THG2 will probably still go strong, as will Disney's new flick.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 10 2013, 9:29pm)

Elskidor
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 9:38pm

Post #36 of 40 (94 views)
Shortcut
That is true about RT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and RT can give it bad press all it wants most of what I've seen from people who saw Thor 2 has been nothing but positive. So that really is more important than RT or any site like it saying bad stuff. It most likely won't get to 1 billion but I expect it to be close to it and if the word of mouth stays strong it could hit it. The bad thing for it is the fact that The Hunger Games comes out in a couple weeks.

As far as super hero films go, X-Men First Class is rated as one of the best super hero flicks of all time for critics and audiences, yet it made far less money than some of the other lesser rated superhero films. That could be blamed largely on the weakness of Wolverine: Origins and Last Stand too though.

It does seem to me that Tolkien movie adaptions have no fear, (as mentioned above) of NA reception though, seeing how much the entire globe loves these movies, and superhero films largely rely on NA viewers to bring in their big bucks.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 9:44pm

Post #37 of 40 (85 views)
Shortcut
First Class [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought was solid but nothing super special (I do own it on blu). I wouldn't put it that high on my list of super hero films. I do think the next one looks pretty awesome though.

I agree with ya on the second point. I do think most movie goers enjoy Middle-earth, which I can't blame them. :)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 11 2013, 5:26am

Post #38 of 40 (48 views)
Shortcut
I think it will likely top 250 million. It could hit 300 here. I hope Desolation does slightly better, as predicted, UNLESS [In reply to] Can't Post

they mess up the Dol Guldur situation, overly detracting from Gandalf, in which case I will no longer give a damn about it not making massive, mountains of money.

In Reply To
It'll barely top $200m domestic, maybe around $230m, so it would need over $750m overseas, not happening, not even close. Wink

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2013, 9:24am

Post #39 of 40 (34 views)
Shortcut
Multiplier (opening weekend to total gross) [In reply to] Can't Post

The original had a multiplier of 2.75 (181m / 65.7m), sequels usually open bigger but have shorter legs. Thor 2 opened to 86m (estimated), multiply that with 2.75, you get 236m. I think that's pretty much best case scenario. It's not an exact science, it might top $250m but i very much doubt much more than that.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 11 2013, 10:41am

Post #40 of 40 (35 views)
Shortcut
You can work this into every thread, don't you? [In reply to] Can't Post

;) Just kiddin'

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.