Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner provides information on 'Hobbit: AUJ' Extended Edition, targets Dec. 1st for Target

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 9 2013, 1:31pm

Post #1 of 18 (667 views)
Shortcut
Warner provides information on 'Hobbit: AUJ' Extended Edition, targets Dec. 1st for Target Can't Post

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" Extended Edition

Warner Bros. has responded to TheOneRing.net's request for further information about "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" Extended Edition after fans expressed confusion and reported the sets were difficult to find.

TORn's news leader Demosthenes posted this article about the availability of the EE on DVD and Blu-ray to highlight the frustrations fans were bombarding TheOneRing.net with. Warner provided the following information for us to pass on to consumers:

"We are thrilled at the fan reaction to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition. We've been made aware that certain retail outlets are sold out, and we are working as quickly as possible to replenish stock so fans can get their copies on Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD. We understand that there is some confusion regarding what product is available at each retailer and would like to provide clarification.

There are three products currently available at retailers nationwide:
* 5-disc Blu-ray 3D + Digital HD UltraViolet
* 3-disc Blu-ray + Digital HD UltraViolet
* 5-disc DVD + Digital UltraViolet

Please note that Target will have the Blu-ray and DVD available on December 1st.

In addition to the national product, several retailers have unique product offerings as follows:

Amazon.com
* 3-disc Blu-ray + Digital HD UltraViolet with Bilbo/Gollum Statue
* 5-disc Blu-ray 3D + Digital HD UltraViolet with Bilbo/Gollum Statue

Wal-Mart
* 2-disc DVD including Extended Edition Feature Film and Special Features "The Company of Thorin," and "Durin's Folk: Creating the Dwarves"

Best Buy
* 4-disc Blu-ray 3D Steelbook:
- Disc 1: Blu-ray 3D Extended Edition Feature Part
- Disc 2: Blu-ray 3D Extended Edition Feature Part 1
- Disc 3: The Appendices Part 7
- Disc 4: The Appendices Part"

Editorializing a bit: The Wal-Mart 2-disc DVD probably isn't meant for TORn readers but it is a real pity that casual buyers will fork out money for that edition and never realize that for a relatively small amount more, a treasure trove of beyond-industry-standard content awaits. (A complete review coming soon.) The home video market isn't what it used to be, but this is a landmark title that consumers I know, including even casual fans, expect to be of the same standard as the history making LOTR EE versions. However it may serve some audiences perfectly and it may have been a way to manufacture and ship the DVDs early to impulse buyers.

By not flooding stores by Black Friday in the U.S., (an enormous retail day immediately following U.S. Thanksgiving) sales will be less than they could have been. On the other hand, many fans have echoed the same thought through social media and in our in boxes: If it takes longer to release the best possible version of film and extras, it is worth the wait. We will of course provide further information as it becomes available.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Nov 9 2013, 10:11pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 9 2013, 7:15pm

Post #2 of 18 (305 views)
Shortcut
What about the digital downloads? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any information about fixes for people who purchased the digital download thinking they were getting all of the extra material. only to find that the director/writer commentary was not included?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

bungobaggins
Lorien

Nov 9 2013, 7:38pm

Post #3 of 18 (285 views)
Shortcut
The iTunes download never advertised itself as including the director's commentary. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I don't see why there's a problem with that.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 9 2013, 8:27pm

Post #4 of 18 (262 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe that is correct, though I don't know for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, I know several smart, non-gullible people who say that they purchased the download after seeing it advertised as including all of the same extras as the physical versions. It doesn't affect me as I have the five DVD set, but I feel bad for people who (if they can be believed, which I think they can) were misled.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

bungobaggins
Lorien

Nov 9 2013, 8:42pm

Post #5 of 18 (253 views)
Shortcut
The special features advertised with the iTunes download are, and have always been [In reply to] Can't Post

The Appendices Part 7, The Appendices Part 8, and New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth

The audio tracks included were, and still are, labeled as: English (Dolby 5.1 CC), and French (Stereo and subtitles).

I never saw an advertisement in which it was touted that the digital download included "all of the same extras as the physical versions." I would like to see such an advertisement if it can be dug up.

There was never mention of the director's commentary on the iTunes store page. All I can suggest is that others read more closely or thoroughly in the future.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2013, 8:44pm

Post #6 of 18 (262 views)
Shortcut
There are 2 versions of the Amazon gift set????? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hadn't realized that

Amazon.com
* 3-disc Blu-ray + Digital HD UltraViolet with Bilbo/Gollum
Statue
* 5-disc Blu-ray 3D + Digital HD UltraViolet with Bilbo/Gollum Statue

Oh great...now I'll have to find out which one my friend has ordered for me, and which is currently on its way across the Atlantic! Crazy

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 9 2013, 8:50pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 9 2013, 8:58pm

Post #7 of 18 (252 views)
Shortcut
What's the difference? [In reply to] Can't Post

What does the five disc BluRay contain that the three disk BlueRay (or the five disc DVD) does not?

The Hall of Fire

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2013, 9:13pm

Post #8 of 18 (247 views)
Shortcut
$10...so something must be missing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked the product listing on Amazon.com and the description is identical!

According a photo of the back of the 5 disc box, the 5 disc set has the movie over discs 1 & 2, the movie with director's commentary on disc 3, & the Appendices on the other 2 discs.

I don't know how the 3-disc set is laid out, though.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

narflet
Bree

Nov 9 2013, 9:26pm

Post #9 of 18 (237 views)
Shortcut
One has a 3D copy, the other doesn't [In reply to] Can't Post

You pay $10 more for the 3D version, that's the only difference. I guess the one with a 3D copy means it needs 2 more discs. That's the one I've ordered, so I guess I'll find out what is on each disc when it arrives!

ETA: Looking at the non-statue versions it looks like the disc contents will be exactly the same. It's on 5 discs for the 3D version because that's split over 2 discs it seems. See the back info for details: 3 disc non-3D set, 5 disc 3D set.

(This post was
edited by narflet on Nov 9 2013, 9:31pm)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2013, 9:34pm

Post #10 of 18 (227 views)
Shortcut
Oh, of course, thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

¯ Victoria Monfort

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 9 2013, 10:38pm

Post #11 of 18 (208 views)
Shortcut
I have the 5 disc DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

The commentary is a option on the 2 disc movie itself. The appendices are 3 discs.

Nira
Lorien

Nov 9 2013, 10:42pm

Post #12 of 18 (187 views)
Shortcut
I was going to get the digital download. Thanks for the warning!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2013, 10:59pm

Post #13 of 18 (181 views)
Shortcut
Some Digitals [In reply to] Can't Post

Have the extra stuff. Xbox video has it I believe. It seems like this release has been very unclear and full of different information and a lot of mis information. Not very polished or at least what I'm used to. That's a shame and I hope it doesn't cost it money in the long run but the marketing has left a lot to be desired.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 12:18am

Post #14 of 18 (168 views)
Shortcut
Good grief! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why can they not just provide three options, e.g. DVD, Blue Ray and 3D (for those who want to sit through the films wearing 3D glasses at home) for each country, all also with the same cover designs for each country? (I couldn't care less about any 'ultraviolet'.)

And I still don't know what the interior packaging of the UK editions is going to be like, and have a nasty feeling it's going to be very cheap and shoddy.

Very poor show.

patrickk
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 1:05am

Post #15 of 18 (165 views)
Shortcut
What is missing from the pack is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a booklet this time round explaining the contents cheapskates at WB.

Jim
Rivendell

Nov 10 2013, 1:15am

Post #16 of 18 (161 views)
Shortcut
I managed to finally.... [In reply to] Can't Post

get a copy of the 5 disc DVD set, it was available at my local Barnes and Noble store. Still nothing at the other major retail stores.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 4:40pm

Post #17 of 18 (81 views)
Shortcut
Occam's Razor [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much sums it up.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Oin K
Rivendell

Nov 11 2013, 8:35pm

Post #18 of 18 (43 views)
Shortcut
One of many consequences of New Line's financial failure [In reply to] Can't Post

New Line treated the LOTR:EE's right, not skimping on anything. Here there are a lot of special features, yes, but the packaging isn't nearly as gorgeous and worthy of the series as the LOTR ones were, and we get three fewer commentaries this time around too. It's a shame.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.