Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Need to be fair to be relevant IMO

Avandel
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2013, 5:26pm

Views: 78
Shortcut
Need to be fair to be relevant IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite critics work hard and you can tell by the writing - no blanket statements or blatantly insulting language, don't use phrases like "train wreck". By the time you are done reading a
WELL WRITTEN critique you have a good picture of the possible pros and cons of the film, an more importantly IMO, do the "negatives" bother you and if so how much? And are they really
negatives for you at all?

For instance "Kingdom of Heaven" got a fair share of hammering - but I love this film, the performances, and what I think is an elegant treatment. The best critical reviews touched on the
beauty of the film, the best of the performances, the great siege scene, and gave Orlando Bloom his props while acknowledging he's not Russell Crowe. If I'd listened to SOME critics
I never would have watched the film at all.

Sounds to me as though this "critic" (blogger, really) threw any attempt at real analysis out of the window before he even started = fail. Fortunately as DOS approaches, with publicity
and a good store display for AUJ, figure 1) 99% of shoppers won't have read ANY disk reviews anyway; and 2) a fair number of shoppers will grab a copy of AUJ on their way out
to go with their loaded carts of bedding, plastic storage bins, clothes, groceries, and decorations (my local Target sticks all the new releases on displays up front, so you can get
a DVD along with your candy and Chapstick.- impossible to miss.)

Subject User Time
The most unflattering review of the Extended Edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey you will read today (and why it's rubbish) News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Nov 9 2013, 9:05am
    Just continuing the same old rubbish Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 9 2013, 2:57pm
    Toper gave Diana 5/10 Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Nov 9 2013, 2:59pm
    IGN gave it a 9/10 Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Nov 9 2013, 3:07pm
    Not falling for the clickbait Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Nov 9 2013, 3:31pm
    Showing his hand of extreme laziness DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Nov 9 2013, 4:16pm
    An excellent point by point reply Demosthenes Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 9 2013, 4:31pm
        Here is a "Funny"? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Nov 9 2013, 5:12pm
            This made me laugh Bomby!!!!! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 9 2013, 6:26pm
    What a patently ignorant bigget this reviewer is..... ecthelionsbeard Send a private message to ecthelionsbeard Nov 9 2013, 5:07pm
        How exactly is he a bigot? bungobaggins Nov 9 2013, 5:17pm
    Trying too hard = fail Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Nov 9 2013, 5:18pm
    I detest criticism of the party sequence ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Nov 9 2013, 8:00pm
        ABSOLUTELY! I couldn't agree with you more. The moment I see or hear a critic start by AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Nov 10 2013, 8:04am
    "As awful as Vegemite" patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Nov 9 2013, 10:02pm
        Vegemite Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Nov 9 2013, 10:42pm
            As a Kiwi, I have done something unforgivable Starling Send a private message to Starling Nov 9 2013, 10:51pm
                Is it that much different? Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Nov 9 2013, 11:00pm
                    Vastly different Starling Send a private message to Starling Nov 9 2013, 11:10pm
                    Marmite's good.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Nov 9 2013, 11:31pm
                        There's a subtle difference tolktolk Send a private message to tolktolk Nov 9 2013, 11:53pm
                            Indeed a nice distraction to the topic patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Nov 10 2013, 1:09am
        not kiwi :) Demosthenes Send a private message to Demosthenes Nov 10 2013, 2:29am
            I was just commenting on the conclusion you cited patrickk Send a private message to patrickk Nov 10 2013, 4:51am
                We had a Film Critic here in Denver for a Long time Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Nov 10 2013, 8:18am
                    Good for you Bomby!! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Nov 10 2013, 9:59am
                ...not to mention that Calmandcloudless Send a private message to Calmandcloudless Nov 10 2013, 8:24am
                Well I have to say Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Nov 10 2013, 4:39pm
    Same old... TheHutt Send a private message to TheHutt Nov 10 2013, 9:45am
    Clearly only a flattering review will do. geordie Send a private message to geordie Nov 10 2013, 11:34am
        Unflattering ones are fine as long as they justify themselves. Demosthenes Send a private message to Demosthenes Nov 10 2013, 11:47am
        Need to be fair to be relevant IMO Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Nov 10 2013, 5:26pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.