Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Evangeline Lily revealed Tauriel's backstory

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2013, 2:23am

Post #1 of 21 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Evangeline Lily revealed Tauriel's backstory Can't Post

I don’t think I’ve seen any other threads about this, but I apologize if this has already been discussed. I think it was yesterday that either TORn or the Official Hobbit movie tweeted a link to an EW Exclusive Video entitled “’The Hobbit’: Evangeline Lilly’s elven warrior Tauriel is…Batman?” Honestly, with a title like that I almost didn’t watch the video because I thought it would just be an excerpt from the live event a few days ago that I had already seen where they were just joking around or something.

It turns out, the video, first of all has nothing to do with Batman. That was just a stupid and fleeting remark the host made because he was trying to be funny. Secondly, it is an interview with more fan questions for Evangeline Lily that occurred after the live event was over. Therefore, even if you watched the live event online you would not have seen this at that time.

There wasn’t a whole lot of new stuff that I hadn’t heard EL say before in other interviews, although there were a few semi-new things and the interview overall was fairly interesting, mostly because IMO Evangeline is a very charming lady!

The one thing that I had never heard before came up when the host asked EL to tell him something about Tauriel that Evangeline loves and that may make other people love her too. Perhaps something like a character trait or something about her past. Evangeline goes on to say:

“You mentioned something that sort of triggered something in my mind, which is ‘Tell me something about her past’ and a lot of people won’t know because it doesn’t have a place in the film anymore. At one point it kind of did, but a part of Tauriel’s backstory is that she is an orphan. Her parents were killed by orcs. When you understand that, you suddenly understand how and why this girl became the lethal killing machine that she is, how she became the head of the elven guard, how she got taken under Thranduil’s wings, and why she’s so passionate about fighting the evil that is in Middle Earth”

Now, I found this very interesting and rather clarifying and I think, just like EL said, that it answers a number of questions people both here and elsewhere have had about Tauriel.

For one thing, we’ve wondered if someone she loved died at some point or if she was wronged at some time and clearly the answer is “yes”. Her parents died and that event is apparently what drives her actions and causes her to fight so hard for justice.

Second, we’ve wondered why Thranduil has a “soft spot” for Tauriel and “sees potential in her”. We’ve also wondered how such a young elf has managed to become captain of the guard. Given what EL said, the answer to this (at least the way I’m interpreting it) is that he has a soft spot for Tauriel because although she was orphaned when her parents killed by orcs, Tauriel is still very strong and independent. The way I see it, Thranduil probably pitied her initially because she was alone in the world, but as she grew she showed how strong she was despite her situation and he now realizes that she has the potential to make something of herself (You know, whatever it is that elves can make of themselves).

Here’s the link to the video: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/05/the-hobbit-evangeline-lillys-elven-warrior-tauriel-is-batman-video/ The host asks the question right around 10:50 and Evangeline’s answer goes until the end of the video.

So, let’s get a discussion started! What do you think of EL’s explanation of Tauriel’s past and how do you interpret what she said into answers for questions you may have had?

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Nov 9 2013, 2:24am)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Nov 9 2013, 4:12am

Post #2 of 21 (643 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Does he see her as a match for legolas?

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 9 2013, 4:20am

Post #3 of 21 (698 views)
Shortcut
DoS Extended Edition material [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually this interview has been discussed previously, but with the new threads coming thick and fast, it's already on page 4.

I'd obviously love to see some Tauriel backstory, so perhaps this can be included in a DoS Extended Edition.

I didn't take any offense at the host's "Batman" remark; it seemed an obvious joke. Were you aware that Batman's origin story involved him witnessing his parents being killed by robbers?

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

TheOneTony
The Shire

Nov 9 2013, 1:40pm

Post #4 of 21 (439 views)
Shortcut
Batman Tariel comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

Holy cow....

I was about to post the same thing just now. In fact, I was just about to write an article for Examiner in regards to the relation to Batman, then before I started doing so....I was afraid that I may get "dinged" for my newsoworthiness because it had nothing to do with Batman.

I found it esp. odd that he would make this comparison. I mean, the author mentioned something in the article that he was reminded of how the wood elf character compared to Batman, but that's about it, nothing more.

Tony - Geek Culture Examiner

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2013, 3:17pm

Post #5 of 21 (408 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm aware and I wasn't really offended by the remark, I just... [In reply to] Can't Post

... had a long, busy day yesterday and was therefore tired and cranky and the joke just kind of fell flat for me. I felt like the host was trying a little too hard to be cool and funny around the famous movie star throughout the entire interview. I guess I can't blame him. I would have been nervous too. Now I'm feeling better and I'm sorry for calling the comment stupid. I see that it was actually a justified comparison and EW only included it in the title to try and grab people's attention.

Yes, it would be nice if they would include Tauriel's backstory in the EE.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2013, 3:23pm

Post #6 of 21 (404 views)
Shortcut
Unless something changes... [In reply to] Can't Post

No. If you watch Production Diary 12 that they premiered during the live event you will hear Tauriel say "I do not think you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly Silvan elf." Thranduil then responds, "You are right, I would not. But still, he cares about you. Do not give him hope where there is none."

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 9 2013, 3:32pm

Post #7 of 21 (361 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear about your hard day... [In reply to] Can't Post

... here are a few EL smiles to help cheer you up!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2013, 3:39pm

Post #8 of 21 (346 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That does cheer me up!Smile Tauriel has become my favorite female elf too!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 10 2013, 2:30am

Post #9 of 21 (293 views)
Shortcut
This is not aimed at you [In reply to] Can't Post

So don't take this personally, I'm commenting on Tauriel, not you.
I still don't see what's so great about Tauriel. The whole orphan and now has to be a killing machine is trite, cliche and bourgeois. This whole thing is becoming trite, cliche and bourgeois. (Sorry, if I sound like a jaded hipster or overly emotional emo kid.) I mean, I'm sorry, but I don't care about Tauriel. I was wanting to see this film to see the roles of Bilbo, Bard and Thranduil played out. For Tauriel to be a part of it...*seeths*

Tauriel say "I do not think you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly Silvan elf." Thranduil then responds, "You are right, I would not. But still, he cares about you. Do not give him hope where there is none." I'm sorry. That just makes me gag. Ugh. Yeah, I know I'm being negative, but I'm just really disappointed. Unsure
With everything I've said around here, perhaps I should've called myself Dark Ziggy Stardust. Unimpressed

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2013, 7:52am

Post #10 of 21 (235 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still don't get why Mirkwood needs a only- 600 year old, reckless Captain of the Guard...what happened to the previous incumbents? Perhaps it's a high risk job??

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 9:04am

Post #11 of 21 (229 views)
Shortcut
The explanation is the topic of the whole thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that Tauriel has become Captain of the Woodland Guard at such a (relatively) young age, it begs the question of why she possesses such unusual skills; thus they reveal that her backstory includes her parents being killed by orcs. It won't be in the TE, but it might be nice to see in a DoS EE.

The previous incumbents were slower and no doubt became spider food.

In Reply To
I still don't get why Mirkwood needs a only- 600 year old, reckless Captain of the Guard...what happened to the previous incumbents?

Symbelmine
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 4:44pm

Post #12 of 21 (176 views)
Shortcut
Exactly my thoughts! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing to add. Seems that you always write it for me when it comes to this topic Wink

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Nov 10 2013, 4:44pm)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2013, 5:12pm

Post #13 of 21 (167 views)
Shortcut
Hehe... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're definitely not the most negative poster around here, not by a long shot...

In any case, I agree, I am hoping beyond hope that Tauriel doesn't get too much spotlight, as I can easily picture myself groaning aloud if she ends up having too big a role.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 10 2013, 7:24pm

Post #14 of 21 (149 views)
Shortcut
That's great to know Eleniel [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This whole thing is really becoming a fiasco.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 10 2013, 7:39pm

Post #15 of 21 (129 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 10 2013, 7:41pm

Post #16 of 21 (135 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already groaning, and I haven't seen the movie yet! Imagine how I'll react if she does get too big a role.
Glad to hear I'm not the most negative poster around here, I was beginning to think I was.

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 10 2013, 7:49pm

Post #17 of 21 (138 views)
Shortcut
Don't know why [In reply to] Can't Post

But it reminds me to Turin.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 10 2013, 8:39pm

Post #18 of 21 (114 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not thaaaat bad. :)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 10 2013, 10:47pm

Post #19 of 21 (108 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

And my sisters both saw the latest trailer the other day and both groaned, with no prompting from me (too Hollywood, too much make-up, which clashes with the orange hair, doesn't fit Tolkien's world, etc.). I couldn't care less about this character and really, really hope T's part is small and that she doesn't ruin the film for me.

I want to see the individual's who are part of Tolkien's story, not some made-up cliché Robin Hood-type female.
And I sort of resent the fact that this woman is going to take away from the characters who DO matter.

In Reply To
I'm already groaning, and I haven't seen the movie yet! Imagine how I'll react if she does get too big a role.
Glad to hear I'm not the most negative poster around here, I was beginning to think I was.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 10 2013, 10:51pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2013, 12:11am

Post #20 of 21 (87 views)
Shortcut
maybe that's intended [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear something about Philippa Boyens? saying that Tauriel is being based on a more obscure character in Tolkien's writings that hard core Tolkien fans may recognize. Maybe that's the character she's talking about?

Êleniel Tindome
Bree

Nov 12 2013, 2:06pm

Post #21 of 21 (58 views)
Shortcut
Iam not happy at all about her [In reply to] Can't Post

...at first I thought - yeah more elves and elven backstory.

But there more i learn, the more i yearn for REAL tolkienesque elven backstory, for I think theres not much left with Tauriel.

I adore PJ/Pace's Thranduil - he reminds me of this magic middle earth world, I experienced with PJ in 2001.
Legolas is Legolas as we know him (by now), that is a nice addition.

But Tauriel, the pixie -tinkerbell - non tolkien badass Killer Machine "Elf" - (in her own words) is the worst thing EVER happened to Tolkiens work by a movie-change.

(this and the post-WWII -costumes of Bard's children are my biggest concerns)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.