Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I'm sorry this is late but I'd really like to comment on this scene

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Dec 6 2013, 11:47am

Views: 84
Shortcut
I'm sorry this is late but I'd really like to comment on this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo feeds Myrtle an apple and tells her not to tell anyone.

I find this moment quite sweet. If the bird house outside Bag End didnít hint at the fact that Bilbo has a soft spot for animals then this moment does. Itís very sweet that he thinks about the animals enough to want to feed his pony a little extra. His friendship will also stem from the fact that Myrtle and the other ponies are from the Shire and are therefore a little part of home and what he has left behind.
I noticed the way he looks around to see if anyone is looking before he feeds Myrtle the apple. I wonder if it is that having a soft spot for animals is not something that will raise Bilboís profile in front of the dwarves and Bilbo knows this. His glancing around is possibly because he feels the dwarves might tease him about it considering the way they teased him at Bag End. Bilbo is probably wary of what he does in front of the other dwarves.
He tells Myrtle not to tell anyone about the apple. A reason for this could be because he has taken an extra apple from their rations, but I am not so sure thatís the case. He fondles Myrtle and says itís their secret in a way a person does when they play with animals, giving them attention and making them feel special. In a way it is their secret since most of the dwarves seem to be asleep.

Fili and Kili talk to Bilbo
I think they were in a way warning Bilbo about what orcs could do. However I think Bilbo is pretty aware from whatever stories he has read about what they are capable of which is shown by his reaction when Kili first tells him what the noise is. I think therefore they were merely winding him up like when friends tell each other scary stories. The scarier the story the cooler a person feels about themselves. It probably makes the two of them feel cool because they are the youngest in the party of dwarves and therefore the least experienced. They take advantage of the fact that Bilbo is even more inexperienced than they are and it makes them sound knowledgeable and experienced. I think they are winding him up, influenced by the fact that they got away with it at Bag End.

Thorinís reaction I think comes from the fact that he doesnít want any nonsense on this quest and perhaps feels displeased that they appear to not be taking this quest seriously enough. The fact that they are his nephews probably means he doesnít want to show them any favouritism and let them get away with that type of attitude especially when he knows they were not being fair to Bilbo. I think in these films Thorin sympathises and looks out for Bilbo despite saying at Bag End to Gandalf that he will not take responsibility for him. It is interesting to take into consideration the fact that both Thorin and Bilbo are apart from the company. Thorin isnít quite part of the company because he is their leader. Bilbo isnít part of the company because he feels he doesnít fit in and the other dwarves are of the same opinion and donít try to encourage him to be. This perhaps actually means that Thorin and Bilbo have something in common. Thorin perhaps, understanding how it feels to not be part of something stands up for Bilbo here.

The moment during the battle where we hear Thorinís battle cry is quite a turning point for Thorin. He has always been beside the leader, but never in the role of a leader. In the film the dwarves lose their King and Thrain in that battle. Thorin has to suddenly in a very difficult situation become a leader since the dwarves are beginning to scatter and the battle is becoming chaos. When Thorin shouts his battle cry I like how the door of Moria is in the background. In a way it symbolises where Thorinís ancestry is from since Durin I was king in Khazad-Dum and how Thorin is now taking up the role of his ancestors and leading his people. The door is symbolic of a new beginning which the other dwarves can find through following Thorin.

The moment when Thorin turns and finds all the dwarves looking at him is reminiscent of the scene at Bag End where Thorin looks around at the dwarves, moved by the fact that they have joined in his song. Here the dwarves are once again drawn together, united by the events of the past. I like the little nod of acknowledgment Thorin gives them before walking amongst them. Itís a very touching moment.

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: The Battle of Moria Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Nov 8 2013, 11:36pm
    Quick response. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 8 2013, 11:52pm
    .... vinsanity Send a private message to vinsanity Nov 9 2013, 1:03am
    On the road again... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Nov 9 2013, 4:34am
    What IS making that screeching noise, anyway? Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Nov 9 2013, 3:41pm
        And here are the remaining four questions... Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Nov 9 2013, 10:52pm
            And my remaining answers... Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 9 2013, 11:36pm
            my answers vinsanity Send a private message to vinsanity Nov 10 2013, 1:15am
            It is well known, if Gandalf finds Thrain in Moria, not Dol Guldur, I very much want a hint of Balrog, the TRUE AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Nov 10 2013, 8:19am
            Remaining answers Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Nov 10 2013, 4:06pm
    My response and a photo Kim Send a private message to Kim Nov 9 2013, 10:39pm
    I'm sorry this is late but I'd really like to comment on this scene Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Dec 6 2013, 11:47am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.