TIME - January 11
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 15 2008, 3:47pm

Post #26 of 31 (163 views)
Shortcut
*shudder* The look on Frodo's face [In reply to] Can't Post

along with the grief of the others said it all... but the music made it devastating.

Gandalf standing on that bridge and us watching from Frodo's pov was so thrilling. I remember I could hardly breathe, but was panting from overwhelming awe! That "crack" as Gandalf snaps his staff and Glamdring together as he cries out, "You Shall Not Pass" had me crazy and totally enthralled! They did the books such honour with this in the films. *blood rushes again* And Frodo's scream... followed by his absolute, devasted quiet was chilling.

omg. The book was hard enough...

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Morwen
Rohan

Jan 15 2008, 8:17pm

Post #27 of 31 (175 views)
Shortcut
This may be my favorite chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

My thoughts are a little scattered today, but I just have to share a couple of them.

...'One for the Shire!' cried Aragorn. 'The hobbit's bite is deep! You have a good blade, Frodo son of Drogo!'

II love how Aragorn takes the time to praise Frodo's courage, even in such desperate circumstances. He really is an incredible leader.

It's interesting that Legolas drags Gimli away from Balin's tomb. There is already a bond forming between these two rivals.

And Boromir, whatever his faults, is certainly a team player.

"It is required of every man," the ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide; and, if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 15 2008, 10:58pm

Post #28 of 31 (166 views)
Shortcut
One for the Shire! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it great that Aragorn not only gives praise to Frodo, but keeps him connected to the Shire... also giving praise to the other hobbits' bravery.

My g'son, when he was 6 and saw FotR at the theatre with me (he's 13 now!) said that Legolas was his favourite character because he was always pulling everyone to safety. *snigger*

It's so touching that he'd be the one to notice Gimli paying his last respects to Balin and pulling him away; because I don't know that the dwarf would have been able to walk away. He must have known that there would be no hope of reclaiming Moria for the dwarves now. Such a deep loss for Gimli and his kin.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 16 2008, 10:39am

Post #29 of 31 (188 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

January 16, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship makes its way through Lothlórien
(not from the appendices)
..."The morning was still young and cold when the Company set out again, guided now by Haldir and his brother Rúmil. 'Farewell, sweet Nimrodel!' cried Legolas. Frodo looked back and caught a gleam of white foam among the grey tree-stems. 'Farewell,' he said. It seemed to him that he would never hear again a running water so beautiful, for ever blending its innumerable notes in an endless changeful music.
...They went back to the path that still went on along the west side of the Silverlode, and for some way they followed it southward. There were the prints of orc-feet in the earth. But soon Haldir turned aside into the trees and halted on the bank of the river under their shadows.
...'There is one of my people yonder across the stream,' he said, 'though you may not see him.' He gave a call like the low whistle of a bird, and out of a thicket of young trees an Elf stepped, clad in grey, but with his hood thrown back; his hair glinted like gold in the morning sun. Haldir skilfully cast over the stream a coil of grey rope, and he caught it and bound the end about a tree near the bank.
...'Celebrant is already a strong stream here, as you see,' said Haldir, 'and it runs both swift and deep, and is very cold. We do not set foot in it so far north, unless we must. But in these days of watchfulness we do not make bridges. This is how we cross! Follow me!' He made his end of the rope fast about another tree, and then ran lightly along it, over the river and back again, as if he were on a road.
...'I can walk this path,' said Legolas; 'but the others have not this skill. Must they swim?'
'No!' said Haldir. 'We have two more ropes. We will fasten them above the other, one shoulder-high, and another half-high, and holding these the strangers should be able to cross with care.'
...When this slender bridge had been made, the Company passed over, some cautiously and slowly, others more easily. Of the hobbits Pippin proved the best for he was sure-footed, and he walked over quickly, holding only with one hand; but he kept his eyes on the bank ahead and did not look down. Sam shuffled along, clutching hard, and looking down into the pale eddying water as if it was a chasm in the mountains.
...He breathed with relief when he was safely across. 'Live and learn! as my gaffer used to say. Though he was thinking of gardening, not of roosting like a bird, nor of trying to walk like a spider. Not even my uncle Andy ever did a trick like that!'
...When at length all the Company was gathered on the east bank of the Silverlode, the Elves untied the ropes and coiled two of them. Rúmil, who had remained on the other side, drew back the last one, slung it on his shoulder, and with a wave of his hand went away, back to Nimrodel to keep watch.
...'Now, friends,' said Haldir, 'you have entered the Naith of Lórien, or the Gore, as you would say, for it is the land that lies like a spearhead between the arms of Silverlode and Anduin the Great. We allow no strangers to spy out the secrets of the Naith. Few indeed are permitted even to set foot there.
...'As was agreed, I shall here blindfold the eyes of Gimli the Dwarf. The others may walk free for a while, until we come nearer to our dwellings, down in Egladil, in the Angle between the waters.'
...This was not at all to the liking of Gimli. 'The agreement was made without my consent,' he said. 'I will not walk blindfold, like a beggar or a prisoner. And I am no spy. My folk have never had dealings with any of the servants of the Enemy. Neither have we done harm to the Elves. I am no more likely to betray you than Legolas, or any other of my companions.'
...'I do not doubt you,' said Haldir. 'Yet this is our law. I am not the master of the law, and cannot set it aside. I have done much in letting you set foot over Celebrant.'
...Gimli was obstinate. He planted his feet firmly apart, and laid his hand upon the haft of his axe. 'I will go forward free,' he said, 'or I will go back and seek my own land, where I am known to be true of word, though I perish alone in the wilderness.'
...'You cannot go back,' said Haldir sternly. 'Now you have come thus far, you must be brought before the Lord and the Lady. They shall judge you, to hold you or to give you leave, as they will. You cannot cross the rivers again, and behind you there are now secret sentinels that you cannot pass. You would be slain before you saw them.'
...Gimli drew his axe from his belt. Haldir and his companion bent their bows. 'A plague on Dwarves and their stiff necks!' said Legolas.
...'Come!' said Aragorn. 'If I am still to lead this Company, you must do as I bid. It is hard upon the Dwarf to be thus singled out. We will all be blindfold, even Legolas. That will be best, though it will make the journey slow and dull.'
...Gimli laughed suddenly. 'A merry troop of fools we shall look! Will Haldir lead us all on a string, like many blind beggars with one dog? But I will be content, if only Legolas here shares my blindness.'
...'I am an Elf and a kinsman here,' said Legolas, becoming angry in his turn.
...'Now let us cry: "a plague on the stiff necks of Elves!"' said Aragorn. 'But the Company shall all fare alike. Come, bind our eyes, Haldir!'

...'I shall claim full amends for every fall and stubbed toe, if you do not lead us well,' said Gimli as they bound a cloth about his eyes."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2008, 11:23am

Post #30 of 31 (146 views)
Shortcut
Rope bridges [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn and Boromir were probably no strangers to having to cross rivers or ravines that way, but I'd love to know what Gimli thought of that thin bridge! Come to think of it, I suppose the Bridge of Khazad-dûm was the Dwarven equivalent of one of these Elven-bridges.

And once again, Aragorn shows his true leadership skills, as he acts as both negotiator and delivers a solution which is the only fair one, under the circumstances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 16 2008, 4:10pm

Post #31 of 31 (154 views)
Shortcut
I'd never thought [In reply to] Can't Post

of Gimli's or the others and their reactions to that bridge... I always just crack up and mourn for Sam. Yet another terror for him to endure! ;)

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.