Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Listen to and buy The Desolation of Smaug closing credits song I See Fire on iTunes!

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 5 2013, 8:02am

Post #1 of 14 (415 views)
Shortcut
Listen to and buy The Desolation of Smaug closing credits song I See Fire on iTunes! Can't Post

Desolation  of Smaug soundtrack special edition As you probably know by now, the closing credits song for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a tune entitled I See Fire by English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran.

At yesterday's Fan Event, Peter Jackson said Sheeran became involved in the production after his daughter Katie introduced the artist to her parents after attending one of his shows back in March/April. They noted at the time that Sheeran had a "great voice" and "great sensitivity", then put it on the back-burner for a few months.

As Peter told fans in Wellington, the musicians always see the film before they write and record their tune. Inevitably that means it occurs late in the production process.

Peter went on to add that I See Fire was recorded only a couple of weeks ago. Sheeran flew out to Wellington and viewed a rough cut of the film, and then wrote and recorded the tune on the very same day at Park Road Post in Wellington. He told fans that, in a way, it the song represented Sheeran's immediate response to watching The Desolation of Smaug. Considering that the tune seems to channel the inner-thoughts of Richard Armitage's character, Thorin, this may (or may not) be significant.

You can stream-listen to I See Fire yourself right now, or buy it directly from iTunes, using the links below.

[Listen to I See Fire] | [Buy I See Fire on iTunes]

LordotRings93
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 1:35pm

Post #2 of 14 (231 views)
Shortcut
Well now I can't stop listening to it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Really love this song now, haha. I'm not buying it from iTunes, though. I wanna wait till the whole soundtrack comes out, then rip it from their to my Ipod. But this soundtrack's gonna be fantastic!!

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

smtfhw
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 2:48pm

Post #3 of 14 (185 views)
Shortcut
Outside the US [In reply to] Can't Post

Be nice if it was also available to buy outside the US.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 5 2013, 2:57pm

Post #4 of 14 (179 views)
Shortcut
have you seen the link for streaming? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.alterthepress.com/...song-i-see-fire.html

It's not available for purchase there but perhaps it will tide you over till it becomes available for you.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

smtfhw
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 3:01pm

Post #5 of 14 (169 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's been on repeat since about 08:00 this morning... but thank you anyway!

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 3:25pm

Post #6 of 14 (158 views)
Shortcut
Digging the song [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually like it more than the one at the end of AUJ but I will say the three LOTR ones are my faves.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 5 2013, 3:31pm

Post #7 of 14 (151 views)
Shortcut
Better than the AUJ one indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it didn't match the ones from LOTR. Especially the ones from Enya and Annie Lennox.

Obviously they try to go another way this time. It has (as far as I can see) nothing to do with Shores music. At least Neill Flynns song did.

And what is he singing? Thorins sons?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 3:31pm

Post #8 of 14 (155 views)
Shortcut
This one [In reply to] Can't Post

is very good rhythm and I like the feel of it. The lyrics are outstanding. Unlike most I did not care for Gollum's song. The words were fine and yes it fit the movie I just didn't care for the sound at all. Into the West and May it Be were my favs followed by Neil Finn's song. This one may be up there close to May it Be. I need to play it a few more thousand times. Sly

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 3:37pm

Post #9 of 14 (143 views)
Shortcut
Its different [In reply to] Can't Post

but at the same time it feels like it belongs with the others.

I'm not sure. I'll have to go over the lyrics in one of the other threads.

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 3:39pm

Post #10 of 14 (143 views)
Shortcut
like this!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Impressed as don't think it's THAT easy to tie a script line into a song without it sounding forced, but think ES nailed it and just seems to me the movie "spoke" to this artist as imagery is coming through so strongly in the lyrics. Nice arrangement - one tiny tiny quibble for me would be wish it sounded a bit more Celtic/Irish like AUJ but for me that's a minor thing. Beautiful, mournful.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 3:39pm

Post #11 of 14 (143 views)
Shortcut
Rhythm [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think it has a good rhythm and feel to it. The start of the song grabbed me right away. Into the West is my fave of all of them so far. That song I admit makes me cry everytime. I hear ya. I gotta go over it and over it a few times to totally decide.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 3:45pm

Post #12 of 14 (139 views)
Shortcut
Into the West [In reply to] Can't Post

By far my favorite song of the films thus far. A lot of that has to do with how well it fits with the end of the movie and the lyrics and melody were perfect for that. I have to say the first time I heard it when it was release prior to RoTK I did not like it. After listening though and seen the movie it quickly became my favorite of the LOTR trilogy and remains the best.

I think I See Fire is up there. It has a great feel to it anyway as far as what I like.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 3:56pm

Post #13 of 14 (125 views)
Shortcut
My fave [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, It very much fits with how ROTK ends. Its really perfect I think. I can see myself liking this one quite a bit over time. I need to hear it more to totally decide but I like what I hear so far. :)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 5 2013, 4:42pm

Post #14 of 14 (106 views)
Shortcut
Durin's sons I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.