Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"I do not think that you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly silvan elf"

boldog
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 5:16am

Post #1 of 13 (1424 views)
Shortcut
"I do not think that you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly silvan elf" Can't Post

what do you all think of this line by Tauriel. From what I get, is that she wants Thranduil to accept her as Legolas' love, but he doesn't see it possible at all.
Then again we saw in the new trailer, Tauriel smiling at Legolas (I think). I think the shot where she smiles is from that same sequence as "this is our fight".
But yeah what do you think of this. It seems to me that there is more eveidence of a Legoirel theme, rather than a taurilli, as I havnt seen anything about them two at all.
I reckon that legolas/tauriel could be far greater even if it does end in tragedy. Today just seemed to add more confirmation on this matter

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Nov 5 2013, 5:19am

Post #2 of 13 (803 views)
Shortcut
Didn't make the cut? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems com the vlog that she made faces behind Thranduil's back during this scene. I don't know if I should be relieved that it did not make the cut and she was fooling around on set or worried that something that ridiculous is in.

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

boldog
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 5:22am

Post #3 of 13 (752 views)
Shortcut
No i think it is an actual scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Just she decided to be funny in sticking her finger up behind his back. The scene suites well for her to do that anyway! But obviously the final cut wont have a rude tauriel!

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Symbelmine
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 3:02pm

Post #4 of 13 (416 views)
Shortcut
Legolas was so cool before The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I was so naive to believe PJ when he said there wasn´t any romantic connection between the two.

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Nov 5 2013, 3:08pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 4:29pm

Post #5 of 13 (317 views)
Shortcut
Just a rehersal [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked like it was just a rehearsal and Evangeline was joking around. I think the scene is definitely real but there's no way Tauriel will be making faces behind Thranduil's back or giving him the finger.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 4:43pm

Post #6 of 13 (334 views)
Shortcut
Definitely a continuation of the scene from the second trailer. A few observations... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure that Tauriel is necessarily asking Thranduil to accept her as Legolas' love. In fact, it sounds like Thranduil is the one who brought up the subject because he sees that Legolas is "fond" of Tauriel. It's hard to tell at this point if Tauriel feels the same way about Legolas, but her statement "I do not think that you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly silvan elf" seems to be a response to Thranduil's "Legolas has grown very fond of you" and she is trying to casually brush it off like, "Oh, it's no big deal. After all you wouldn't allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly silvan elf...(would you?)" Then (assuming it's even his real line) Thranduil responds "No, you are right, I would not. Still, he cares about you. Do not give him hope where there is none."

The question now is, did Tauriel realize, before Thranduil told her, that Legolas cares about her, and does she feel the same way? For that matter, if she didn't know, has she even thought about this before?

Somehow, I don't think Tauriel necessarily has to be attracted to either Legolas or Kili no matter how both of them may feel about her and I don't think it has to end in tragedy. Let me rephrase that: I don't want it to end in tragedy!Frown

Nellas

Nov 5 2013, 5:16pm

Post #7 of 13 (311 views)
Shortcut
Aw man [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope they were just joking around during rehearsal, or deliberately toying with the fans. I can live with a romance subplot, if they insist to have one, but any "you are a lowly silvan elf" rubbish would piss me off.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 5 2013, 6:30pm)

Oin K
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 6:29pm

Post #8 of 13 (268 views)
Shortcut
So she decides to show him what she really thinks about class differences and hooks up with a dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

She was never into Leggy anyway. Poor Legolas is going to get friend-zoned! And passed over for a dwarf, no less!

I still think it could happen that way, and when Kili's end breaks her heart and causes her to drift away in grief, Legolas will harden his own heart against dwarves, and it will take a special friendship with a certain son of Gloin to melt it again.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

Cillendor
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 8:11pm

Post #9 of 13 (216 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil was a Sinda of Doriath. He ruled over the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood, but that doesn't mean he can't have a haughty, better-than-thou attitude toward them.

Nellas

Nov 5 2013, 8:57pm

Post #10 of 13 (192 views)
Shortcut
I remember reading... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in the Unfinished Tales that the Sindarin princes who went to settle in the east after the War of Wrath did so at least in part to go "back to nature" and adapt the ways of the silvan elves, which they thought more peaceful. That's why a better-than-thou attitude from Thranduil towards them just doesn't sit right with me.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 5 2013, 9:23pm

Post #11 of 13 (183 views)
Shortcut
I still don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

I still don't think Tauriel is interested in Legolas. I'm bummed about how they made Thranduil the conservative father - what a cliche - and I think he is a total jerk! Now I am really mad at him Crazy

It is sad because I really want to like him (Lee Pace is amazing!) but this is just confirmation that he is a terrible father to Legolas and I don't like that. I know he was kinda proud in the book but still, I want to see a soft side of him or I will get so annoyed every time I watch the movie Frown

Boromir: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2013, 9:39pm

Post #12 of 13 (168 views)
Shortcut
It's still hard to tell if that scene had the real lines from the movie or not. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible, since they were clearly not doing a serious "take" (Evangeline Lily being able to joke around without anyone calling "cut") as well as the fact that there were many, many script revisions that the line we hear Thranduil say in the vlog is not that one that will be in the final movie. If it is the real line then I think you are reacting exactly they way they want you to. It is possible that they want us to think Thranduil is a jerk (it's working so far) so that we can see clearly that he is corrupt.

However, him having an antiquated notion that a high elf should not be pledged to a lower elf doesn't necessarily reflect how he has been as a father to Legolas otherwise. Even if he is a jerk of a father too, I think there will be a fair amount of character development in store for Thranduil in both DOS and TABA. After all, something has to convince him to come out of his forced isolation and become involved in the troubles and darkness of the outside world.

I want to like Thranduil too (I love Lee Pace!) and I would definitely like to see a softer side to him. Even if he starts out as a jerk, I suspect something will make him change and eventually become a better person.

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Nov 5 2013, 9:46pm

Post #13 of 13 (170 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he meant [In reply to] Can't Post

He wouldn't allow his son to marry a servant? Maybe lowly is referring she is a guard and not a silvan elf of status.
To me that would make more sense than Thranduil is against his son being with a silvan elf. All of the elves had different classes in themselves. So I could see a King not wanting his only son to marry the 'help'.
I don't think Elrond would have wanted his daughter with the cook..Aragon had to become King before he would allow them to marry.
So don't toss Thranduil under the bridge.....yet! Tongue

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.