Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Would Azog have looked better like this?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2013, 9:04pm

Post #26 of 34 (135 views)
Shortcut
He does look more frightening IMO... [In reply to] Can't Post

The scraggly hair gives him a sort of ancient Crypt-keeper type of vibe. I think it looks better than what we got.

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 2 2013, 12:03am

Post #27 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
Azog was like a step back, a CGI character from the Mummy films or something [In reply to] Can't Post

He may well be improved in DoS but I think, as he is, he's the one of the worst-executed CG creations across Peter's Middle-earth.

Turn Azog blue and he would fit in Avatar quite nicely (except with worse CGI) but not Middle-earth.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 2 2013, 12:21am

Post #28 of 34 (107 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I'm missing something too [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks the same to me, only with straggly hair.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 2 2013, 1:18am

Post #29 of 34 (95 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... I don't think orcs cannot be pale. I just thought that his particular colour grading might be what is throwing some people

Considering high orcs, this was just my word for it. I think they say in the appendices something along the lines of because orcs are a sort of evil image of the elves Azog would be something closer to that than most of the others.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 2 2013, 1:21am

Post #30 of 34 (106 views)
Shortcut
Allelujah ane Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Azog's design and CGI was fine. I don't get the hate he's getting, like, at all.

What irks me about Azog is the fact that the writers took this 142-years-dead character and gave him an active role in the story as one of the major villains, just because he was an enemy of the Dwarves once upon a time, long long ago (and apparently because they really liked his name Mad). Azog's small role in The Hobbit was as a long dead historical figure, and to take him and make him into such a prominent active character in the story is just going way too far IMO.

To me, it is akin to taking Celebrimbor, reviving him, and giving him an active role in LotR, just because once upon a time, long long ago, he had something to do with the Rings of Power.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Thranderz
Rohan

Nov 2 2013, 9:13am

Post #31 of 34 (77 views)
Shortcut
There [In reply to] Can't Post

really isn't much difference. Tongue

I simply walked into Mordor.

Cillendor
Lorien

Nov 3 2013, 10:35am

Post #32 of 34 (39 views)
Shortcut
Not that it helps, [In reply to] Can't Post

but they also cut out 100 years of that 142 years. It makes practical sense, as how do you convey the proper age of the Dwarves to the audience without outright explaining things, which is bad form for a movie. But where Smaug was sleeping for 160 years in Erebor in the book, it was only 60 in the movie.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Nov 3 2013, 11:46am

Post #33 of 34 (43 views)
Shortcut
If I recall correctly... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only clue to the exact time frame was when one of the Dwarves mentions that the Dragon hasn't been seen for 60 years, which isn't much of a clue at all. The fact that Smaug hasn't been seen in 60 years doesn't exactly mean that Smaug only took Erebor 60 years prior to the story. I expect the time frame will be made clearer in one or both of the next films, and you may very well be right.

But regardless of that, Azog surviving Azanulbizar and chasing Thorin, Bilbo, Gandalf, and Co. is still a massive departure from canon, and a very annoying one at that.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Nov 3 2013, 11:47am)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Nov 5 2013, 1:57am

Post #34 of 34 (31 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ&co have said specifically that Fili and Kili have never seen Erebor in the character bios, so that would mean that Smaug would have had to take Erebor at LEAST 82 years prior, if not 83 (to account for Fili being conceived, but not born yet, as we do not know the month of his birth).

He may have not been seen in 60 years, but it had to have been longer than that- I would imagine it took him quite a while to a) gather all that gold in one place, given that I am sure that both Dale and Erebor had many stashes of it (more than just the chamber of Thror) and b) he likely spent quite a lot of time eating any remaining dwarves or occupants of Dale before going into his 60 year hibernation, much like bears will eat a great deal before entering theirs.

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.