Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Question on production issues that have to be worked around

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 7:31pm

Post #1 of 17 (985 views)
Shortcut
Question on production issues that have to be worked around Can't Post

Right now, I am battling a bad cold / ear infection / cough etc. and it made me think how illness is handled when shooting. With so many people on set and off, colds and other illnesses are in fertile ground. Even injuries...ankle strains, back strains, cuts etc. The cast must come down will illness at times. If you have a speaking role and are stuffed up and coughing for a week it must force revisions into what is shot...if possible.

I was watching THE HOBBIT, Production Video #7 and it just made me think how so many such issues must be dealt with.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 7:38pm

Post #2 of 17 (549 views)
Shortcut
they work through it... [In reply to] Can't Post

i know towards the end of shooting the mummy returns Brendan Fraser said he broke his ankle doing a jump and they had his double take all the scenes where he was running around and he simply had to keep working, although he said he would never work with that director again.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Oct 31 2013, 7:40pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 17 (520 views)
Shortcut
Most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

they go through it bad cold and all:

in other words "Thag you very buch.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 17 (537 views)
Shortcut
I know in the LOTR extras we learned of some injuries [In reply to] Can't Post

...Sean Astin's foot puncture/cut, Viggo's various injuries - broken toes and digits etc.
Any indication in the AUJ EE of such incidents?

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 31 2013, 9:02pm

Post #5 of 17 (439 views)
Shortcut
That's what insurance is for. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hcc.com/...bid/332/Default.aspx

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 9:36pm

Post #6 of 17 (386 views)
Shortcut
But insurance does not solve the shooting disruption. [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume the shooting schedules can have a certain degree of flexibility, but other times, short window of time. I suppose dubbing their voices over the scene is an option.

architecthis
Lorien

Oct 31 2013, 10:41pm

Post #7 of 17 (357 views)
Shortcut
I would hope that for millions of dollars [In reply to] Can't Post

the cast would be expected to work regardless - unless they were truly very sick.

At least for the people who are paid big bucks...

(This post was edited by architecthis on Oct 31 2013, 10:42pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 10:51pm

Post #8 of 17 (341 views)
Shortcut
Even a cold can ruin your voice or cause laryngitis. [In reply to] Can't Post

The production could lose 3-7 days.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 31 2013, 11:19pm

Post #9 of 17 (331 views)
Shortcut
PJ's ulcer... [In reply to] Can't Post

...did delay the start of production.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 11:25pm

Post #10 of 17 (310 views)
Shortcut
but he's the director [In reply to] Can't Post

once the filming begins thats it.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 3:56am

Post #11 of 17 (253 views)
Shortcut
Surely the only excuse for not turning up for work....... [In reply to] Can't Post

would be a Death certificate, unless, of course ita a zombie movie.
Or you are the murder victim.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 8:18am

Post #12 of 17 (206 views)
Shortcut
Robert Downey and Weta Digital [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably the best example of a workaround would be "Iron Man 3". Robert Downey Jr. broke his ankle and was laid up for 6 weeks. Filming went on using a body double, with Weta Digital replacing the double's face with Downey's in post production.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

smtfhw
Lorien

Nov 1 2013, 9:55am

Post #13 of 17 (171 views)
Shortcut
Even a cold... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes but that's one of the things that additional dialogue recording (ADR) is for...

star
Rivendell

Nov 1 2013, 1:30pm

Post #14 of 17 (146 views)
Shortcut
You may find this helpful [In reply to] Can't Post

You need to make up some Thieves Oil, or you can buy some online or from a good health store.( This really works ) I don't know if you know about thieves oil but in case you don't read on.
Back in the 15th Century, during the Bubonic plague, there was a few thieves that would rob the ill searching through their cloths for items of value, rings etc, they would also break into houses. They did not get effected by the Bubonic plague, in fact they were the only ones who did not get infected. The authorities at the time caught them and said that they would spare their lives from execution if they told them how they where immune to the plague. So the thieves gave the authorities their secret formular, a powerful blend of oils.
This blend of oils is being used today in the world ( In the houses of the wise are many oils ) OT. This blend of oils are antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral they are very powerful together at protecting the immune system. Research has proven that the oil blend kills 99% of all airborne bacteria. You will not be effected or catch a cold, flu, sore throat again. It protects the respiratory and circulatory systems too. Its worked for me, its worked for friends. It is also natural and safe but powerful.
Here is the reciepe, although there are some variations between one and two oils. Euclyptus and tee tree that were not around in the 15th century have made the oil even more potent to disease. Alone each oil is powerful but togther better.
80 drops of essential oil Clove Bud
70 drops of ^ ^ ^ ^ Lemon
40 drops of ^ ^ ^ ^ Cinnamon
30 drops of ^ ^ ^ ^ Eucalyptus
20 drops of ^ ^ ^ ^ Rosemary
10 drops of ^ ^ ^ ^ Tea tree or lavender
There should be 250 drops in a 15 ml bottle, make sure it is a dark brown or green bottle. Shake well.
Or you could just buy some. Here are some links www.secretofthieves.com and www.thieves-oil.com This oil blend will protect you, family and friends from some really bad outbreaks and epidemics, but please do the research yourself and see how powerful it is. I have worked with herbs and oils for a long time and now I am studying to become a naturopath and starting a herb farm.
By the way after the thieves had told the authorities their secret formular in exchange for their lives, they hung them anyway. hope you fond this interesting.

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 1 2013, 4:22pm

Post #15 of 17 (114 views)
Shortcut
This is really interesting Star [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a conventional medic, but I'm also pretty much into complementary therapies, especially herbs and acupuncture. I'll have to try and make up some of this oil, to ward off all the cough and cold bugs which come my way through the winter! I have used all of these for various things, but not in this combination. Can you use lavender AND tea tree, or is that a bit much?

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

star
Rivendell

Nov 1 2013, 10:57pm

Post #16 of 17 (74 views)
Shortcut
Hello there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to make your aquaintance Smile I would just add one of the oils, lavender or tea tree to the recipe, both is too much, some people even add cedar instead. A good carrier oil is sweet almond oil or grape seed oil, but any carrier oil will do. The best place to rub the thieves oil is on the soles of the feet, it is very effective. It also makes a good air cleanser and diffuser. I will send you this link that has some good ideas on how to use the thieves oil in many ways.
www.natural-aromatherapy-benefits.com

There are some amazing herbs out there. If you are interested there is a book by a lady here in Australia, she lives up in the warmer regions of Queensland and has a herb farm. She has an excellent knowledge of herbs and her book is very indepth, especially about herbs such as Goto Kola and Herb Robert, which are actually very powerful herb. You may have even read the book or know about her, she is very well respected. her name is Isabell Shipard, Her book is titled " How can I use herbs in my everyday life " the link to her site, " Herbs are special " is http://herbsarespecial.com.au She has the best compiled book on herbs I have come accross yet. She has DVD's too. She is definitely worth a read.

elaen32
Gondor

Nov 1 2013, 10:59pm

Post #17 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Star [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll look into theseSmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.