Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Dwarves to "trip" through Mirkwood! ***SPOILER***
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 1:10pm

Post #26 of 30 (196 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

If anything, this strikes me as something that could work even better on film than in a book, taking full advantage of the fact that film is a visual medium. Great cinematic potential here, imo.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 1 2013, 1:12pm)

Avandel
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 3:17pm

Post #27 of 30 (164 views)
Shortcut
True, adds to despair too [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves are tough, but speculate being hot, hungry, w. substance-addled minds (sounds like waking up after surgery!!!), then having to fight, getting captured, forcibly marched, confronting a "snooty elven king" LOL, then stripped of your possessions and put in a cell would cause a lot of despair e.g. when Bilbo says in the TV spot "you can't give up now!" think the Mirkwood prisons will be the low point. Could be wrong but go, Bilbo!.

(I can't wait for this movie!!!! - how many more days now..........)

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Nov 1 2013, 5:35pm

Post #28 of 30 (152 views)
Shortcut
Stoner dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

I have less problem with Dwarves getting stoned from breathing mushroom spores than I do with the idea of Legolas "rescuing" them from the spiders instead of Bilbo, which is what looks like is happening to me. Legolas captures at least SOME of the Dwarves, but I know the spiders also capture some, too. Anybody have any input on THAT?Mad

Cillendor
Lorien

Nov 1 2013, 5:50pm

Post #29 of 30 (150 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he treats pipe-weed as cannabis. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if you smoke tobacco or not, but I'll smoke my pipe or have a cheap cigar every once in a while. If it's been a long time since I smoked, I'll often feel really buzzed and dizzy because I'm not used to the lack of oxygen to the brain caused by the nicotine. Once, I hadn't smoked in well over a year and then I tried a filtered cigar, and within a few breaths I was feeling really buzzed. Now I've never tried cannabis to know if it's anything similar, but to me I just interpret Radagast's reaction as being unfamiliar with oxygen asphyxiation. At any rate, if he's lived in Mirkwood for ~1,000 years, I'm sure he'd have eaten cannabis before then if it's native to that part of the world. Raw, it is actually super healthy for you and to my knowledge doesn't get you high.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 1 2013, 7:30pm

Post #30 of 30 (143 views)
Shortcut
Others have speculated [In reply to] Can't Post

That Bilbo will rescue the dwarves from the spiders and the dwarves will run away just like in the book. What could happen though is that instead of finding the elf circle and safely sleeping in there for the night, they get attacked by the spiders again after having already escaped. Hence the line "They're coming back!" by one of the dwarves in Mirkwood in one of the production videos. So now this second battle would be when Legolas and the elves come in to save the day. I think it's a good theory and I hope they filmed it this way.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.