Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The appeal of the making of these films or this Middle Earth genre in general

TheOneTony
The Shire

Oct 31 2013, 2:28am

Post #1 of 4 (153 views)
Shortcut
The appeal of the making of these films or this Middle Earth genre in general Can't Post

I have to say, I'm a big Sci-Fi fan, mostly a Trekkie and most things that have the first word of "Star" in the front of it.

I wasn't much that much of a fan of these stories or films to begin with, but as I matured, perhaps into my late 30's, I've come to realize the "deepness" of these stories.

I think I came to this realization as I'm in the Environmental field and outdoor enthusiast.

I saw one of the video blogs of Peter Jackson filming in New Zealand and how they took great care in providing scaffolding as to not damage the fauna in one of the well known global parks. Being the environmentalist that I am, I was hooked on these lengthy blogs. I am not usually one to go through too many of the special bonus features on Blu-Rays, but somehow I have no qualms about sitting through Peter Jackson's informative video blogs and other treasures.

Funny thing, I keep thinking of Frodo and Samwise as they long to be home and how they're always thinking of home to keep their mind off the dread they feel.

I some how tie it into my long trips into the great outdoors when out kayaking it's pouring rain and it's somewhat cold outside and I keep thinking the same thing ....how I wish I was home being warm, being with family and friends and not sticking my hands between my legs in a leaky tent. LOL

Also, I have some kind of old-fashioned values and ties with my immediate friends and family and in The Hobbit, Baggins, though he's stepped right out of the Shire into this dangerous world, was able to relate to the dwarfs exile from Erebor and fight for a cause HE supported for someone else he barely knew.

It was right then that Gandalf knew that he had chosen wisely.

Tolkien was an active Catholic Christian , so maybe those warm feelings had something to do with it and it was reflected in his writings.

I'm about to head to bed, I do apologize that this post was a bit pieced together, but these were random thoughts put together in no particular order....but there's just some kind of feeling of "coming home" when I watch these films as compared to the flashy lazer beams and transporter special effects.

There is some kind of realism to these films even though it's fictitious. In fact, the actors and crew are "roughing it" as the dwarves and Baggins did. lol I read the recent article about the "Food Tent" and how everyone is lined up for chow as equals.

If anyone can relate to ME relating to LOTR of The Hobbit films and the feelings it gives you, please feel free to share. :-)

Tony - Geek Culture Examiner

Patty
Immortal

Oct 31 2013, 3:42am

Post #2 of 4 (65 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, TheOneTony! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay with us, and you'll find many kindred spirits here.

(I like that you said you came to Tolkien as you matured!)

Permanent address: Into the West

star
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 4:32am

Post #3 of 4 (63 views)
Shortcut
Hello The One Tony [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I can certainly relate to you relating to the Hobbit and LOTR films. As our world grows colder and darker I am always drawn to the special bond and innocence of the young Hobbits in LOTR, especially Sam's devotion to Froddo, and Bilbo's compassion to Gollum, to know when to spare a life with a sword. I also commend Bilbo's strengths to leave the comforts of the Shire and help the Dwarves fight for their home, and Tolkien was always aware of people in our world displaced from their homeland like the Jews were before 1948. I know many missionaries who like the little Hobbits leave the comfort of their little shires to go off and find homes for others in the world that are diplaced like the Dwarves, their journeys are also perilous.

I love beauty in nature, I am surronded by that where I live in Tasmania. The environment is very important to me, friends of mine have made a documentary film called, "The Worm in the Apple" regarding environmental issues in Tasmania. I am training to be a naturopath and starting an organic Herb farm, and believe in healing by nature. God gave us every plant for our healing. I am drawn to the beautiful scenery in the movies and to my other love soundtracks. Howard Shores movie score is brilliant, and I do think music does make a movie. I used to be a big John Williams fan, ( I'm still a Star Wars fan ) I very much like the music of Hans Zimmer now.

Just remember when you are out in the wilds away from the comforts of home, family and friends, that home is actually where your heart is, you can take it anywhere with you and not be alone, it can warm and comfort your heart and light up the night better then any camp fire. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 2 2013, 2:21pm

Post #4 of 4 (47 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome TheOneTony!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So much of what you've shared is exactly how I feel. Especially thinking about home when travelling out in the world. I completely relate to Frodo and Sam, too. They stay grounded in home and friends/family... which is so true for me. I was homeless for about a year in 1971 (+ and -), so their longing for the comfort-of-heart of the Shire resonated with me. Bilbo in An Unexpected Journey really put it so well when he spoke to Thorin and Company about missing his home and that that is where he belongs.
Hearing how Tolkien's work has touched your heart and life is so wonderful :) I'm glad you found your way to TORn where you can geek out all you want in celebration of that! *high five* WELCOME!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.