Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
MrCere's 3rd on set report.

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 30 2013, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 19 (1144 views)
Shortcut
MrCere's 3rd on set report. Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...desolation-of-smaug/

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 30 2013, 9:24pm

Post #2 of 19 (500 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lucky to meet Evangeline at a charity event in Wellington, and she was great. She was an unrecognized part of the crowd until my friend deej recognized her, and she was just lovely.

I'm interested to see the character Tauriel, and don't have any prejudices regarding her character.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2013, 9:37pm

Post #3 of 19 (474 views)
Shortcut
Another fantastic read. [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved it, especially the parts before MrCere spoke with EL. He's dead on with the production side of things. Great to see someone actually work that into an article, as much of that is very understated.

EL is just great. She's so approachable (obviously only going from interviews--but also her interaction with fans on Twitter) and easy-going. I'm sure Nov. 4th (and all other promotional junkets) will be a great time with her added presence to the cast.

Can't wait to check out Part 2 tomorrow!

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2013, 9:44pm

Post #4 of 19 (479 views)
Shortcut
I just saw another actress in a movie, also from Canada, who [In reply to] Can't Post

would have made a good elf maiden too...Kristin Kreuk. She is half Dutch and half Chinese so she has a hint of exotic look to her that would have worked as an elf.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/...kreuk_short_hair.jpg

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 19 (473 views)
Shortcut
Refreshingly private actress. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that. I hope she will appease some with Tauriel :) I am sure she has the skills to pull it off.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Oct 30 2013, 11:39pm

Post #6 of 19 (400 views)
Shortcut
So as many of us suspected.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that wasn't Evangeline Lilly in some of those video logs.

Kim
Valinor

Oct 30 2013, 11:42pm

Post #7 of 19 (365 views)
Shortcut
Another nice read - looking forward to tomorrow's report // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 12:09am

Post #8 of 19 (393 views)
Shortcut
Another great report - but wow, one bit really floors me... [In reply to] Can't Post

This:

ďThere was this other element that came into play. When ĎLord of the Ringsí first came out in the theaters, I refused to see it because I thought they were going to massacre Tolkienís work and I was like ĎIím not honoring this, Iím not going to see this, Iím not paying money.í Ē (E.L.)

Angelic

*Wow*. As a decade-plus (at the time) JRRT fan who refused to see FOTR until the last day of February (taken along rather against my judgment, wouldn't take my coat off...) for precisely those same reasons, I get this. A lot. 100% actually. And I'm sincerely impressed at her view and her familiarity with the works prior to filming.

I agree with Entmaiden: I have no preconceived notions of how it will work, I'm simply looking forward to seeing it. This was great to read.

Thanks again Mr. Cere and Moahunter for posting!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Oct 31 2013, 12:39am

Post #9 of 19 (378 views)
Shortcut
Evie L. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some actors, Tom Hanks bring a prime example, just seem to possess an inherent likeability. I think the same of EL which makes me optimistic about Tauriel.

But what I really appreciate about Mr. Cere's report is his description of the set itself, the atmosphere, how production works, even if it's just an explanation of how the canteen operates. I love movies to watch but I'm also fascinated by how such a huge and complicated endeavor comes together. I'm sure we'll be reading many interviews with Evangeline Lilly, but few also offer such a "you are there" glimpse of the set we all wish we could visit -- heck -- work on.

Thanks so much for that!

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 1:23am

Post #10 of 19 (326 views)
Shortcut
Great report Mr. Cere, certainly up to the standard of the previous two. [In reply to] Can't Post

Brings back so many happy memories.
The canteen was a great place, not just for eating, but for star watching.
I remember my first sighting of Evi there...."Be still my beating heart".
I got such a gorgeous smile from her.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 5:40am

Post #11 of 19 (282 views)
Shortcut
Food! Glorious food! [In reply to] Can't Post

(photo from one of the vlogs)

Again, great description of a very fun place, Mr. C. The catering tent was, indeed, a lively, welcoming setting, if not exactly glamorous (except that we were in Stone Street Studios!Cool). If the extras weren't waiting in a holding area closer to set (also provided with snacks and drinks), we spent hours waiting here in the cafeteria, spread out around the far end talking, knitting, reading, playing instruments, sleeping at times; the main actors would be sitting precisely where this blond fellow is sitting. There was always nice music playing, always food and drink available. I'd describe the two main meals each day as - no exaggeration - 5-star hotel by-the-pool buffet dining, minus the gin and tonic. And they would indicate which were gluten- and dairy-free selections. And there was morning and afternoon tea as well - and pizza or Chinese food before we left wardrobe if we worked late. Unbelievable!

Are you getting the idea that this place is run by hobbits? Wink
Cheers!

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 6:06am

Post #12 of 19 (272 views)
Shortcut
My second choice as well [In reply to] Can't Post

If Evangeline hadn't been available, Kristin would have been the alternative best to play Tauriel. We can be content with seeing Kristin in the "Beauty and the Beast" reboot.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 10:28am

Post #13 of 19 (214 views)
Shortcut
Kristin Kreuk? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, did the movie Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li prove that Kristin isn't ready for feature films? Or did it merely indicate that this wasn't the best project for her? At least it would have physically prepared her for the role of Tauriel. Her role of Lana Lang in Smallville might actually give a better indication of her range.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 31 2013, 12:38pm

Post #14 of 19 (191 views)
Shortcut
We have an Expression in Theater, Arenas, Opera, Symphony ,and Film! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Bad Stagehand...?

NO Donut.."

Bomby

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 5:30pm

Post #15 of 19 (147 views)
Shortcut
Good read! I'm honestly excited to see Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

because she represents the side of Elven societies I've always been curious about: the commoners. And of course because it's fun to have more girls. Smile

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 5:58pm

Post #16 of 19 (134 views)
Shortcut
Feel very much the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Nov 1 2013, 3:56am

Post #17 of 19 (87 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I am always quite worried about putting too much "I was there" stuff in because the story shouldn't be that I was there but what I saw there. I try very carefully to not do that and I hope I keep a good balance. Because of this fear, your words are really encouraging and I appreciate them. So thanks.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Nov 1 2013, 11:30am

Post #18 of 19 (60 views)
Shortcut
Your welcome! And thank you again ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

for Part 2 of your interview.

Well that does it, Evie -- anyone who backs up my man Andie because his significant achievements have failed to get the recognition they so richly deserve is aces with me! Smile

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 1 2013, 11:48am

Post #19 of 19 (71 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I am pretty sure people will look back at the start of mocap in a couple of years and recognize him, Weta and PJ as the people who really teared down some walls. Ultimately that might be more rewarding and more important than an Oscar now.

Always nice to see though that there are actors like Evangeline Lilly out there who are very aware and also critical of the business they are part of.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.