Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How would you rank the Middle Earth films so far and where do you think DOS will fit in?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Nevrast
Bree

Oct 30 2013, 11:57pm

Post #26 of 44 (284 views)
Shortcut
Which word would you remove to make it perfect? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2013, 12:15am

Post #27 of 44 (291 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

RotK was my favorite of the 3 LotR films, but like Daniel and Dormouse, I tend to watch all 3 EEs in a row (usually over the course of a couple of days), instead of watching the movies individually. Anyway, as far as what order I'd rank them individually, I'd go RotK, FotR, and TTT.

AUJ was not on par with any of those films IMO. I mostly enjoyed it, but Azog being alive, the CGI Orcs, and the Looney Tunes-like spectacle that was the Goblin-town escape marred it for me.

I have a feeling that DoS will be better than AUJ on the strength of the brand new locales and the darker tone - but I expect most of the issues I had with AUJ to remain.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 31 2013, 12:17am)

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 12:48am

Post #28 of 44 (283 views)
Shortcut
I love all of them [In reply to] Can't Post

4. AUJ (8/10)- Great: Prologue, Unexpected Party (Dwarf's Song), Azanulbizar, The White Council, Goblin King, Riddles in the Dark, Eagles.
Disappointing: Radagast, Azog, Too much goofy humor and CGI.
3. TTT (9/10)- Great: Opening, Smeagol/Gollum, Gandalf's Return, Theoden and Eowyn, Helm's Deep, Elrond and Arwen, Sam's speech.
Disappointing: Faramir, The Ents (except the last few scenes), Gimli silliness.
2. ROTK (9.5/10)- Great: Voice of Saruman, Everything in Minas Tirith, Shelob's Lair, The Ride of the Rohirrim and the Battle of Pellennor Fields, Final march on the Black Gate, ALL the Multiple Endings.
Disappointing: Paths of the Dead.
1. FOTR (10/10)- Great: Literally Everything. A perfect film

I'm assuming DOS will be better than AUJ, but still not as epically great as any LOTR film.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Oct 31 2013, 12:48am)

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 1:12am

Post #29 of 44 (257 views)
Shortcut
Ah--interesting. Hadn't heard of it before. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 2:19am

Post #30 of 44 (266 views)
Shortcut
With their scores (out of 10) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Fellowship of the Ring 10.0
2. The Two Towers 10.0
3. The Return of the King 9.5
4. An Unexpected Journey 7.5

These are for the EEs. The only time i see the TEs is when i catch them on TNT.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Oct 31 2013, 2:24am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2013, 2:37am

Post #31 of 44 (252 views)
Shortcut
The edit time is seriously waaay too short on this site... [In reply to] Can't Post

DoS will almost certainly be better than AUJ, probably 8-8.5, although i don't really see these Hobbit films coming close to the greatness of LotR. And if they are indeed serious about these films lining up with LotR in tone, i could see TaBA going as high as 9 for me. although there are some elements that seem inherent to this trilogy that i just don't see myself warming to. I really hope i'm wrong, though. It would be great if AUJ is the only disappointment in an otherwise great, great series of films. We shall see...

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 2:44am

Post #32 of 44 (242 views)
Shortcut
How I'd rank them... [In reply to] Can't Post

1 - ROTK - 10.0
2 - FOTR - 9.99 (probably equal in quality to ROTK, but I prefer ROTK ever so slightly because of the sense of resolution and finality it brings)
3 - TTT - 9.8
4 - AUJ - 8.9

AUJ is a great film, better than most films I see, but not *masterpiece* level like LOTR. Not sure how I will like DoS; it could very well be my least favorite. AUJ's opening was near perfect. And I suspect I will like TABA for alot of the same reasons I like ROTK.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 31 2013, 2:51am

Post #33 of 44 (248 views)
Shortcut
I'll rank the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

of each film but won't include DOS because I haven't seen it yet.

1. FOTR 9.75
2. ROTK 9.50
3. TTT 9.25
4. AUJ 9.20

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 3:22am

Post #34 of 44 (248 views)
Shortcut
1. FotR 7.5/10 [In reply to] Can't Post

2. RotK 5.8/10
3. TTT 5/10
4. Auj 4/10

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 1:12pm

Post #35 of 44 (180 views)
Shortcut
"She" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 31 2013, 1:35pm

Post #36 of 44 (168 views)
Shortcut
Which part? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is "she" referring to Rosie, Luthien, Arwen, Gilraen or Galadriel?

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 1:58pm

Post #37 of 44 (160 views)
Shortcut
At the ford. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wince whenever I hear that line. It's a shame as it's a very good scene otherwise, and Liv Tyler does an excellent job. But the line is straight out of Conan the Barbarian or a Dungeons and Dragons game or something equally cheesy. You could scrap 'elf' as well - superfluous and a bit clunky, and the line would be fine.

It's a bit like Bilbo 'having a reaction' near the beginning of AUJ - a line straight out of an episode of Friends or something equally modern - it takes me out of the film for a few seconds.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Oct 31 2013, 3:49pm

Post #38 of 44 (145 views)
Shortcut
Best to worst [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FOTR - My favorite movie in general and the most polished of the series.

2. ROTK - Some editing and story changes keep it from being AS good as FOTR, such as Arwen "dying", Frodo sending Sam home and Sam actually obeying, how Frodo and Sam escape from the orcs after being seen and the orcs are just like "move along", the reveal of the ghost army BEFORE the black ships land at Minas Tirith in the EE, etc.

3. AUJ - Nearly flawless and actually a better adaptation than any of the movies so far, IMO, but the book just isn't on the same level as LOTR.

4. TTT - Still one of my favorite movies, but it's the least polished. It feels like half the movie was shot by the second unit. Aragorn falling over the cliff, Sam's self conscious speech at the end, the design of the wargs, etc.

I'm predicting DoS will be between ROTK and AUJ. It won't compare to ROTK, but I will like it better than AUJ and TTT.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 31 2013, 4:03pm

Post #39 of 44 (145 views)
Shortcut
Middle [In reply to] Can't Post

Worst:
9. FOTR-EE
8. ROTK-EE
7. AUJ-EE
6. AUJ-TE
5. DOS-TE
4. TTT-TE
3 OTR-TE
2. ROTK-TE
Best: 1. TTT-EE

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 31 2013, 4:05pm)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 4:07pm

Post #40 of 44 (147 views)
Shortcut
Ranking [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FotR - The best mainly for bringing Middle Earth to life visually and advancing the narrative through the slowest paced part of the books in away that involved all the main characters and emotionally immersing the audience in the story.

2. AUJ - Martin Freeman as Bilbo is the closest thing to buying into a character as we get aside from Ian Mckellan as Gandalf and Andy Serkis as Gollum. We get all three and we get all the highlights of the book along with a greater view of the happenings of Middle Earth during this time.

3. RotK - The final stage of Frodo and Sam's journey is the most emotionally compelling part of the LotR and the "many endings" allows the emotional payoff for all the main characters and closure for the audience.

4. TTT - Great movie, Gandalf's Return and Helm's Deep are handled wonderfully and meeting Gollum happens here but it just doens't carry the weight of the 1st and 3rd parts of the story.

Ranger
The Shire

Oct 31 2013, 7:54pm

Post #41 of 44 (109 views)
Shortcut
AUJ is high-quality worst [In reply to] Can't Post

My ranking from worst to best:

4. AUJ 9.0 (CGI, disrespect for physics and too much slapstick ruined the perfect score)

1c. FOTR 10.0
1b. TTT 10.0
1a. ROTK 10.0

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 31 2013, 9:57pm

Post #42 of 44 (85 views)
Shortcut
Spot on! And I will add that... [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR is the most stunning piece of movie-making I have ever seen. ROTK has many of those wonderful moments, and TTT is great too.

The Hobbit on the other hand - wonderful movie but - not in the same cathegory. And it is not a screw-up by the film makers. The Hobbit never had the same potential as the LOTR trilogy to become fantastic on screen. Lets face it, some books are better as books and The Hobbit is a perfect example of that.

Maybe PJ will blow me away, but I cannot imagine right now that any of the Hobbit films will end up on my top 3 films list but I hope that all parts of it reaches my top 4-6 Smile

Boromir: ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR...

Gandalf: FLY, YOU FOOLS!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2013, 7:57am

Post #43 of 44 (22 views)
Shortcut
"She-elf" [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not going to like the recent MTC clip. Wink

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Nov 11 2013, 11:49am

Post #44 of 44 (16 views)
Shortcut
I've avoided all recent clips/trailers etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

in the hope that I will be positively surprised in the cinema. But phrases like that are too redolent of the almost universally sh*t fantasy genre - something that Tolkien would have loathed. I really think PJ should have got Stephen Fry or someone equally conscious of the subtler nuances of English to consult on the screenplay and filter out the odd bit of dodgy writing.

Incidentally, in The Hobbit, I also wince when Bilbo says he's 'having a reaction' to the horse hair - it's the kind of phrase I'd expect to hear in an episode of Friends or some other urban modern piece. It doesn't sit well with Tolkien's era at all.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.