Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
There and Back again epilogue ?

shaundobson
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 3:42pm

Post #1 of 19 (1110 views)
Shortcut
There and Back again epilogue ? Can't Post

After guessing how much of the story will be used in the desolation of smaug, which i believe will end with the defeat of smaug, that leaves there and back again with not that much of the story left.

It may just be the battle of dol guldur and the battle of the five armies left. If this is the case then what do you think they will do to fill in the gaps ?

I hope they personally flesh out and end with bilbo's return to the shire, Sauron's return to Mordor, Gollum leaving the Misty Mountains and maybe even having a scene where Balin mentions his intention to return to Moria.

These 4 events would certainly tie up the events of the hobbit and the LOTR alot better than just ending it at the Battle of the five armies.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 3:59pm

Post #2 of 19 (579 views)
Shortcut
Gollum... [In reply to] Can't Post

... should not feature in the movies again to leave his reveal in FotR intact. Imho him leaving the mountains is completely unnecessary.

Sauron's return to Mordor should also not be too graphical. No flaming eye bursting out over Barad-dur or anything like this.

I think it is enough to have the Bilbo, Gandalf and Balin conversation at the end... With Balin mentioning Moria (could probably also be left to the EE). Sauron's rising will be highlighted much earlier than the epilogue anyway, I think. But in this last conversation Gandalf might mention again that Middle-earth is facing a dangerous and darker future.

But I am still not certain about Smaug dying in DoS anyway.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 29 2013, 4:02pm)

nhui06
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 4:15pm

Post #3 of 19 (517 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess first off I wouldn't use the term 'just' Dol Guldur and the Battle of the 5 Armies'; there is plenty of story to tell here. Let's assume DOS ends with Smaug's death. We now have the Men of Laketown and the Elves plotting to get a share of the treasure from the Dwarves (planning). We also have Thorin slipping into greed as he does not want to give away any of his treasure, which leads to friction with Bilbo. Then we have the Siege of Erebor, followed by Gandalf returning to warn them about the incoming Orc army. Don't want to go into too much detail here, but there is more on Thorin and the Dwarves around this time. Finally we have the journey home.

I am sure there will be more FOTR - link storylines placed into the end of TABA; wasn't this one of the reasons why the movie is now in 3 parts? The scene where the Eye first opens in Mordor will be epic.

I am hoping maybe for an Avengers-like mid-credit sequence where the credits stop and we see Gollum emerge out of the Misty Mountains. Then we have Gandalf sensing this far away, and is concerned, but someone comes from behind him to begin the hunt, and that will be our Aragorn cameo! I don't know, just what I would like to see.

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 4:54pm

Post #4 of 19 (429 views)
Shortcut
I like most of that [In reply to] Can't Post

but I really don't want an Aragorn cameo. It would be cool to watch Gollum leave the mountains under the moonlight, shake his fist at the sky, and scream, "BAGGINS!!!!!" somewhere during/after the credits. But end-credit scenes are foreign to LOTR/Hobbit movies so I don't expect it.

But I'd personally love to see Balin & Co. setting out for Moria.

The movie should officially end with Ian Holm sitting in Rivendell, putting the finishing touches on his book. Maybe he could be reading it to Elrond or something.

gliido
Bree

Oct 29 2013, 4:56pm

Post #5 of 19 (450 views)
Shortcut
Barad-dur still under construction at the beginning of FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The scene where the Eye first opens in Mordor will be epic.

This would cause a continuity error with FOTR since Barad-dur is not yet completely rebuilt at the beginning of that film.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 5:09pm

Post #6 of 19 (426 views)
Shortcut
Yes, would really hate anyting like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and especially any mid or after credit stuff Avenger style.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 29 2013, 5:26pm

Post #7 of 19 (406 views)
Shortcut
I wonder where Sauron hung out during construction. [In reply to] Can't Post

Was there a trailer on-site with a huge flaming eye in it?

What business does a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, a dwarf, and a hobbit have in the Rivenmark?

nhui06
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 5:59pm

Post #8 of 19 (353 views)
Shortcut
...but [In reply to] Can't Post

if I remember correctly, Sauron's eye was already at the top in FOTR. They can still show Barad-dur under construction (or at the beginning) when the eye opens at the top.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:10pm

Post #9 of 19 (377 views)
Shortcut
Back Again: [In reply to] Can't Post

- Dain becoming King under the Mountain, Bard rebuilding Dale

- Balin, Oin & Ori leaving Erebor to try and retake Moria

- Bilbo returning to the Shire, encountering Otho and Lobelia at the Bag End auction, being welcomed back by Drogo & Primula, eventually adopting and raising a young Frodo

- Sauron reappearing in Mordor, possibly beginning to send Orcs to harass Gondor (though IMO Gondor needn't be mentioned until FotR)

- Gandalf visiting an older Bilbo (Martin Freeman in Ian Holm make-up?) and young Frodo in the Shire, the final conversation from the end of Tolkien's TH?

A great closing shot would be Gandy riding out of Hobbiton, which would nicely lead into his returning years later in the first scene of FotR.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 6:19pm

Post #10 of 19 (330 views)
Shortcut
This... [In reply to] Can't Post

... would be my ideal ending shot:

A great closing shot would be Gandy riding out of Hobbiton, which would nicely lead into his returning years later in the first scene of FotR.

gliido
Bree

Oct 29 2013, 6:26pm

Post #11 of 19 (311 views)
Shortcut
Barad-dur [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
if I remember correctly, Sauron's eye was already at the top in FOTR. They can still show Barad-dur under construction (or at the beginning) when the eye opens at the top.

At 32:30 of the FOTR EE (I don't the the theatrical version on-hand), you can clearly see the unfinished Barad-dur without its main tower. In fact, I believe one of the commentaries states that this scene shows Barad-dur still under reconstruction.

However, by the end of the film the tower is fully rebuilt, based on Frodo's vision at Amon Hen.

Remus
Lorien

Oct 29 2013, 6:26pm

Post #12 of 19 (312 views)
Shortcut
I approve of this message [In reply to] Can't Post

Really liked this.

But for me i am happy as long as we see Sauron do something. Like Darth Vader coming and standing next to Darth Sidious, both of them overlooking the construction of the first Deathstar.

One particular thing for me would be to see the INSIDE of Bara dur and even the dark throne itself! Shocked Then i would explode out of happiness.

But i really wanna see that, i wanna see that scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dûr and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 6:46pm

Post #13 of 19 (292 views)
Shortcut
I think Balin retaking Moria might be more than just a mention // [In reply to] Can't Post

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 7:15pm

Post #14 of 19 (268 views)
Shortcut
A lot of the stuff mentioned above, I think, could be mentioned *after* BO5A but not as an epilogue. [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, I believe The Desolation of Smaug could just end when Thorin has taken back Erebor and the dragon has left (but has not yet arrived in LakeTown) - if some of you recall, The Desolation of Smaug is also a location on the map which is the land that been laid to waste around Dale and Erebor.
At the end of The Two Towers, it was merely the victory of Helms Deep, so I think they'll end it on a happy yet sinister note (aka leaving the audience with a cliffhanger).

Secondly, I don't think Andy Serkis did any other scenes other than the Riddles in the Dark scene with Bilbo.

Thirdly, Sauron's return to Mordor sounds good but not as an epilogue, in my opinion - perhaps when Bilbo goes back to Rivendell and the elves have news about Sauron's return.

Fourthly, concerning Balin and his "intention" to return to Moria, Balin decided to go there 40 years after the dwarves took back Erebor - when Erebor was growing prosperous. Personally, after what Balin has been through in general, I think he would not just launch into an expedition, or even consider the idea.

And finally, as the ending of the film, I would like it to end in a similar way to the LOTR; the closed door of Bag-End. No Gollum, no Sauron, no Gandalf walking away from the Shire - just the simple door of Bag-End.

Remember, these are just theories, but I believe these things are worth considering - before you all get excited! Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 7:18pm

Post #15 of 19 (277 views)
Shortcut
Just had a cool thought! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll type it now before I forget. Tongue I just imagined that at the end of TABA we get a montage of things that happen between then and the start of LoTR. Barad-Dur gets it's flaming eye, Balin travels to Moria with Oin and Ori. The final scene is where each race sends an envoy to the council of Elrond. Thranduil sends Legolas, Dain(?) sends Gimli and we have already seen Denethor send Boromir in TTT EE. All of this is silent with some awesome music from Shore playing over it and there is a smooth transition into the credits....the last time we visit Middle Earth on the big screen.....Cool

I simply walked into Mordor.

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 8:20pm

Post #16 of 19 (244 views)
Shortcut
I would love an epilogue with Bilbo speaking 'The road goes ever on and on...' [In reply to] Can't Post

Begins with Martin Freeman saying it then fades into Ian Holm. We then see him go back to his chest, delve further in and take out....the Arkenstone!!! :D no, maybe not that, he takes out the helmet and we realise it's Thorin's. Or something else of Thorin's. He smiles, then we fade to black.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 1:26am

Post #17 of 19 (167 views)
Shortcut
Even before the Battle of Five Armies... (Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides the attack on Dol Guldur we must have the company exploring the interior of Erebor while the survivors of Lake-town assess their situation. The armies of Men and Elves and Goblins must muster and Thorin needs to send to Dain in the Iron Hills for help.

Many of the details of Bilbo's return trip might be saved for the Extended Editon or be skipped altogether. We should get at least a brief look at the stop over at Rivendell. We know that Bilbo should return to Hobbiton to discover that Bag End is being auctioned off. I also expect to see Gandalf and Balin's visit that takes place several years later.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 30 2013, 3:25pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 30 2013, 2:35pm

Post #18 of 19 (72 views)
Shortcut
This is gold. Thanks for the laugh!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder where Sauron hung out during construction. Was there a trailer on-site with a huge flaming eye in it?

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 30 2013, 4:45pm

Post #19 of 19 (60 views)
Shortcut
He did seem to hang out in bars.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....with words like "prancing" in their name, get all red-eyed, then chase people with furry feet all around the room.

There's a term for people like that.

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.