Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Concerning the impending reviews...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 11:13am

Post #26 of 38 (242 views)
Shortcut
I guess I mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

unnecessary in terms of them not adding anything to AUJ as a standalone film. They invited comparisons to the LOTR at every opportunity (Gandalf doing his room-going-dark thing in Bag End is another instance) and it inevitably couldn't live up to those expectations.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 12:43pm

Post #27 of 38 (235 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I also predict awards buzz!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2013, 6:41pm

Post #28 of 38 (177 views)
Shortcut
I dont give a rip about what reviews say, but I hope they like it better. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many critics are just paid to talk for the sake of hearing their own heads roar, and usually, if the critics hate a movie I know I'll like it. Even still, I hope the critics like DOS better than AUJ because I know bad reviews turn some people away from seeing really good movies and that is unfortunate.

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 6:47pm

Post #29 of 38 (168 views)
Shortcut
Your words in God's ears... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I cannot help myself but thinking that awards buzz will be close to zero.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 29 2013, 7:47pm

Post #30 of 38 (149 views)
Shortcut
Possibly there won't be but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's hope and vote for it at the awards decided by the fans(Empire, MTV)!

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 29 2013, 8:30pm

Post #31 of 38 (140 views)
Shortcut
To get better reviews it needs to be pacey and action-packed, not stretched out [In reply to] Can't Post

The biggest beef critics have with these movies is their length and how many 'walking shots' etc. there are. The trick is not giving critics enough time to think during the movie. Keep the pace fast and essential. If Peter has pulled this off in the DoS edit then there will be no problems.

Also, if Smaug is crap (unlikely) they will jump on that like nothing else.

imin
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 9:02pm

Post #32 of 38 (128 views)
Shortcut
I think the scores/reviews will be better for DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I am going to guess something similar on IMDB, around the high 70's, low 80's on RT and metacritic score of around 65.

the critical reception of AUJ was very mixed with most critics thinking it was ok, i think this will have lowered the expectations of many, meaning even if DOS isn't much different, it will be seen as better.

As others have said on here, i'm not concerned with critics, though i find their reviews interesting to see their points of view. I have found the people i interact with in real life have really mixed views on AUJ, some love, some hate, most think its alright. It will be really interesting to see if this changes for DOS (hopefully in a positive direction).

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 29 2013, 11:04pm

Post #33 of 38 (104 views)
Shortcut
A lot of unfair reviews based in excessive or erroneous expectations, and there was also a LOT of imitation [In reply to] Can't Post

of other reviewers. Also, I think the pushing of HFR, the changing of the number of films in medeas rez etc. also turned a lot of critics sour. Some of us were irritated about some of these things, and felt Peter et al might be getting carried away with themselves, and I do not doubt that some of the critics felt the same, so that barring an absolutely ecstatic onto spritually orgasmic experience, they would have found reasons to let the film crew know, "your not as clever as you think you are."

I think Desolation would get better reviews even without being a "better" movie.

In Reply To
Had went in a kind of negative spirale me thinks.

Yes, some of the criticism was legit, I do not dispute that. But I was sometimes surprised reading through the reviews that the end verdict was rotten.

This was often only explainable to me, especially compared to other movies, that this was highly influenced by insane expectations. HFR added a lot of negative buzz as well

So logic tells me if DoS is a little more carefully edited and harder decisions regarding EE material are made, plus darker story and new landscapes and characters come to the forefront, this should all contribute to higher scores.

However, a part of me says that HFR, the general look of the movie and ESPECIALLY the three movie split might again harm reviews greatly. Some critics imho are decided that this was a mistake the movies will suffer from until the end... I guess especially the breaking point between DoS and TABA will have a major influence.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 29 2013, 11:16pm

Post #34 of 38 (103 views)
Shortcut
I discounted every critic who complained about things like Bag End or the prologue. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were the very things that helped elevated above being just an action flick. I laud the moments when Steel Magnolias and The Ten Commandments shine through The Avengers (all analogy and metaphor here, mind), and any critic who can only appreciate the great aspects of movies like the first two in movies specific to that genre, and wants Enchanted Realm, superhero and Sword and Sorcery to have nothing of that calibur, needs to consider another profession, as they marginalize the entire medium.

In Reply To
The biggest beef critics have with these movies is their length and how many 'walking shots' etc. there are. The trick is not giving critics enough time to think during the movie. Keep the pace fast and essential. If Peter has pulled this off in the DoS edit then there will be no problems.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2013, 3:58am

Post #35 of 38 (67 views)
Shortcut
But i LOVE the walking shots!// [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2013, 4:02am

Post #36 of 38 (69 views)
Shortcut
I read very few rave reviews of AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 2, maybe three. The majority of positive reviews were of the "it's a fun ride" variety. The critical enthusiasm just wasn't there, even for those that liked it.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 30 2013, 4:41am

Post #37 of 38 (70 views)
Shortcut
Forbes, of all things, had a review that not only raved, but lambasted as lazy and sheeplike [In reply to] Can't Post

the critics who went on ad nausem about the Bag End scene. "Were we watching the same movie," the asked sharply. lol

In Reply To
Only 2, maybe three. The majority of positive reviews were of the "it's a fun ride" variety. The critical enthusiasm just wasn't there, even for those that liked it.

Jerry Cornelius
The Shire

Nov 2 2013, 5:54pm

Post #38 of 38 (46 views)
Shortcut
Respectfully [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They were the very things that helped elevated above being just an action flick. I laud the moments when Steel Magnolias and The Ten Commandments shine through The Avengers (all analogy and metaphor here, mind), and any critic who can only appreciate the great aspects of movies like the first two in movies specific to that genre, and wants Enchanted Realm, superhero and Sword and Sorcery to have nothing of that calibur, needs to consider another profession, as they marginalize the entire medium.

In Reply To

They were moments that should have elevated AUJ. The theatrical cut gave me very little in the way of character development in those particular scenes. Not to shortchange Boyens' writing; I loved the development she gave Balin, Thorin, and Bilbo. I had hoped that extra time would be used to flesh out some of the other members of the dwarvish company. That was my main critcism when it came to those extra scenes at the beginning of the film. I truly don't want my favorite Sword &Sorcery series, if it reaches the film medium, to have anything of the Bag End scenes' calibur. There simply wasn't enough character development outside of the excellent backstory on Thorin and his oaken shield.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.