Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Scenes not included even in the EE?

Glum
Bree

Oct 28 2013, 12:32pm

Post #1 of 13 (1325 views)
Shortcut
Scenes not included even in the EE? Can't Post

I haven't seen the EE yet, but from what I've read about it, it seems that not everything possible has been included... If the rumours are true, more of Thror fighting and more of the "battle" with Trolls has been shot. And do you remember the trailer shot of Bilbo looking terrified in the cave while something is getting close to him? It might have been an alternative version of the goblin trap scene, but who knows? There was also a shot of the company running through a forest in one of the trailers. Apart from that, I remember seeing an unknown dwarf in one of the blogs who would have probably had a minor role during the prologue, had he been included in the EE, and I also remeber seeing a photo of a dwarv car/carriage somewhere, which might have been something connected to trade between Erebor and Dale in pre-Smaug days, so it would have been inluded in the prologue as well...
What do you think, am I right in my observations? Are there any other suggestions for left-off scenes? Thank you for your answers :)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 28 2013, 12:48pm

Post #2 of 13 (723 views)
Shortcut
Here are my guesses [In reply to] Can't Post

more of Thror fighting

I guess it will be in DOS with more Thrain-Moria material

more of the "battle" with Trolls

Hmm... if it's not in the EE it might be cut forever

Bilbo looking terrified in the cave while something is getting close to him

I agree it seems to be an alternate version of the trap scene

the company running through a forest

Could be part of their escape from Beorn in DOS?

an unknown dwarf in one of the blogs

I think it's just a Dwarf that follows Thorin after they left Erebor

dwarv car/carriage somewhere, which might have been something connected to trade between Erebor and Dale in pre-Smaug days

Perhaps part of the Girion backstory in DOS or TABA? I'm pretty sure we'll get more Dwarven flashbacks in DOS and TABA. Perhaps they're even on their way to Thranduils halls? Could be trade with Elves?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Pazeer
Rivendell

Oct 28 2013, 12:50pm

Post #3 of 13 (635 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember in one of the trailers/teasers or whatever, there was a scene in the Goblin Caves where Oin (I think) lifts one of the dwarfs up and away from the goblins while escaping!
I was expecting that to be in the EE.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 28 2013, 2:41pm

Post #4 of 13 (513 views)
Shortcut
Fili and Thorin - warg chase [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been mentioned before, but there's a scene that showed up in I think the Best Buy specials feature re Fili and Thorin talking behind a rock, kind of crouched down. Think the same feature showed DO as Fili wired up re the troll sequence - it was a green screen shot but I think that's what he meant about "standing on Kili's shoulders, fighting a troll".

Also at the end I've seen some trailer version where Thorin is saying "we will take back our homeland" after Bilbo's speech?

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Oct 28 2013, 2:41pm

Post #5 of 13 (499 views)
Shortcut
Sackville Bagginses [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone posted on another board that the Sackville Bagginses got cut out of the market scene.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 28 2013, 3:53pm

Post #6 of 13 (451 views)
Shortcut
Dori and Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Mark Hadlow said that he filmed a scene helping Bilbo up a tree. This would have been the scene from the book in Out of the Frying Pan and is not in the theatrical or the extended. It seems that due to the fact that Bilbo is the same height as the dwarves in the movies (or nearly so) they replaced the scene with Sting getting stuck in the warg. A shame really, as that is something that I and many others really liked in the book, but who knows, maybe they just changed the location of that scene to Mirkwood when Bilbo climbs another tree.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Oct 28 2013, 3:54pm)

Pazeer
Rivendell

Oct 28 2013, 5:41pm

Post #7 of 13 (336 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're absolutely right, perhaps Dori helps Bilbo climb the tree in Mirkwood, so it's the same thing, only in a different place, kinda like Ori hanging on to Dori when the tree is falling, instead of it being Bilbo hanging on to him during the eagle-flight!

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 28 2013, 6:36pm

Post #8 of 13 (304 views)
Shortcut
That was in a trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's missing from the EE. It's unfortunate because there's a scene in the EE where Bombur falls down two floors, but then in the next scene he's with them all together again. I'm pretty sure the trailer showed him being lifted up, so it's a pity they left that out.

The only other thing I wish they would have included is the Balrog in Moria. It would have made the prologue even longer and had more to explain, so I can see why they left it out, but I hope that they'll show it again if they revisit Moria, either as part of Thrain's story or if they show Balin leading the Dwarves away at the end of the trilogy.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 28 2013, 8:15pm

Post #9 of 13 (245 views)
Shortcut
Well we can hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you said they shift scenes around and give roles and lines to different people and all that, so it is very possible. The problem is that I know beyond a doubt that this scene was originally planned for "Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire". You see in that featurette called "A Hobbit's Tale: Part 1" (at least I think that's what it was from) there's a scene when Martin Freeman and Peter Jackson are talking on the Frying Pan set. Martin says something like, "In the script it says that I can't climb the tree myself because of my height but I'm actually not really that much shorter than the dwarves, so perhaps we could have it where the dwarves are just in my way to get up." So it sounds like it evolved from "Dori helps Bilbo up a tree because Bilbo is too short" to "Dori helps Bilbo up a tree because the dwarves were in the way" to "Bilbo can get up the tree just fine but it takes him a while because his sword is stuck in a warg."

However, just because they originally filmed the scene this way doesn't mean its impossible that it will be in Mirkwood. The crew shot pickups for an entire two months this year and we know that some of it involved Mirkwood. Perhaps Peter Jackson promised Mark Hadlow, "You know I know your big scene helping Bilbo was cut, but don't worry, we'll put it in the next movie when Bilbo has to go up an even bigger tree." So there's still hope!

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Pazeer
Rivendell

Oct 28 2013, 8:47pm

Post #10 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
We can only hope [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the scenes that like, you know are referencing the book, even though they are not exactly the same, so I hope it will be in it! Smile

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 28 2013, 8:55pm

Post #11 of 13 (242 views)
Shortcut
I was actually going to say that myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping they'd have some of that in it, but so far I've heard nothing. Unimpressed

We'll all just have to wait and see.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 28 2013, 9:55pm

Post #12 of 13 (222 views)
Shortcut
From the appendices, some great goblin dialogue [In reply to] Can't Post

especially a line where he's looking a Thrain's map after the dwarves are searched, and deduce what their quest will be. There is some other lines about their imminent and needless death and the song dwarven minstrels will song about their vain quest

Patty
Immortal

Oct 29 2013, 6:44am

Post #13 of 13 (136 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with ever seeing those [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still waiting for the super extended edition of Lord of the rings with all its deleted scenes that were not in the EE.

Permanent address: Into the West

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.