Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I sincerely hope they do NOT have any Nazgul breaking Gandalf's staff,

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 29 2013, 1:58am

Views: 186
Shortcut
I sincerely hope they do NOT have any Nazgul breaking Gandalf's staff, [In reply to] Can't Post

, especially with this weaker state of The Nazgul. I think I might "hates them forever" if that happens. Sauron causing the break I can work with, but not any of the Nine. Also hoping they do not go the eggregious route of having Gandalf imprisoned inDol Guldur. Been there and done that with Isengard. We need to see old Mithrandir dominate at least some supernatural foe before being trumped by Sauron The Great! Another important fact is that Gandalf is the one who informs the council of the peril. He goes into Dol Guldur, escapes (if just so) on his own power (perhaps assisted in flight by Radagast, I don't see a real problem with that) and warns the others. I'd hate to see the crux of that altered.

Hypotosizing on what has been seen thus fa, I would say the staff break itself isn't in the initial Dol Guldur investigation, sense there are scenes in the 11th Vlog showing that staff in use in Dale. In battle pictures the staves are changed (they may be Five Armies shots), but in the quiet, contemplative images, it is the first staff.

From what we have stated here, it seems likely by Peter's account that the lead up to the great collision will open in Desolation, but be concluded in the first or a very early act of the last filmmm.

In Reply To
So I am listening to the Hobbit commentary by PJ and Philippa Boyens (I will probably post another thread with all the tidbits relating to the future movies after I have finished) and during the 'Good Morning" scene, I believe that they may have let slip the where the Battle Of Dol Guldur will take place in the films.

Here's what they say:

PJ: "...his staff is actually different and the reason why his staff is different - it's not the staff that he has in the Lord Of The Rings, that's actually something your going to have to look at the movies to find out. It's not till the third Hobbit movie-

Philippa: "...end of the second."

PJ: "..no, no, no. It's the beginning of the third that we get to see exactly why his staff changes between movies. Yep you wait and see Philippa"

Philippa: "Well I mean it begins at the end of the second"

PJ: "mmm yeah kind of... kind of"

Philippa: "Yup"

Going by these comments I would have to think that the Desolation Of Smaug will end with a climax (well the Gandalf storyline anyway) where the Battle Of Dol Guldur is just getting underway.

As many of us have suspected Gandalf will eventually take hold of Radagast's staff (Due to it looking remarkably like Gandalf's FOTR staff.) and it looks as though it won't happen until There And Back Again.

If I had to hazard a guess, i'd say that when the shot in the 2nd trailer of the Orcs marching forth (mostly likely towards the Lonely Mountain.) from what appears to be Dol Guldur, Gandalf will be incapacitated or held prisoner in some way inside the ruins.

Then "There And Back Again" will open with the White Council coming to Gandalf's aid. Somehow Radagast's staff will come into Gandalf's possession. And Gandalf will then desperately make for The Lonley Mountain to warn everybody. (This bit is going by the screen cap of Gandalf on a horse with Radagast's staff riding at a great speed.)

Thoughts?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Oct 29 2013, 2:00am)

Subject User Time
The placement of the Battle Of Dol Guldur revealed? *Hobbit EE Commentary Spoilers* Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Oct 28 2013, 5:49am
    interesting... MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Oct 28 2013, 6:16am
    If that's the case Remus Send a private message to Remus Oct 28 2013, 6:27am
        Me too Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Oct 28 2013, 3:35pm
            Thanks Remus Send a private message to Remus Oct 28 2013, 4:49pm
    Well, I've been predicting Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Oct 28 2013, 7:17am
        I don't think so Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Oct 28 2013, 9:18am
            This redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Oct 28 2013, 3:28pm
                Exactly! It would be too rushed Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Oct 28 2013, 3:36pm
            Smaug will probably die at the end of DOS nhui06 Send a private message to nhui06 Oct 28 2013, 4:27pm
    How did you get the commentary? // Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Oct 28 2013, 8:44am
        From a less than savory source *wink wink* Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Oct 28 2013, 8:46am
            I understand....... Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Oct 28 2013, 8:58am
    Commentary Subtitles Alex Maglor Send a private message to Alex Maglor Oct 28 2013, 9:43am
    Originally... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Oct 28 2013, 12:53pm
        Yep I think your right Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Oct 28 2013, 1:06pm
            Theory about Azog's hunt... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Oct 28 2013, 1:43pm
        I was sure... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Oct 28 2013, 2:10pm
    Where does this screen cap appear trailer,vlog ? Michelle Johnston Oct 28 2013, 2:24pm
        It was in a Vlog Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Oct 28 2013, 5:31pm
    So what will happen to Radagast? Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Oct 28 2013, 3:44pm
    I don't know at this point Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Oct 28 2013, 6:42pm
    I sincerely hope they do NOT have any Nazgul breaking Gandalf's staff, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 29 2013, 1:58am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.