Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Just for the heck of it, and it will never happen, but...

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 24 2013, 8:22am

Post #1 of 10 (324 views)
Shortcut
Just for the heck of it, and it will never happen, but... Can't Post

What would happen if the following got the One Ring and decided to use it:

An Eagle

An Ent

The Shapeshifter (what's his name)?

Melian

Feanor

Arwen

and/or

The King of the Dead (the one that fought for Aragorn)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 8:43am

Post #2 of 10 (193 views)
Shortcut
Keep it away from Feanor. [In reply to] Can't Post

As far away as possible. I do not want to see that elf more hungry with power.

Melian reminds me a lot of Galadriel - well, they were in each other's company for a long time. And we remember G's reaction to the ring....Scary thought.

Arwen puzzles me, though. I've always seen her as a weak figure, even if I shouldn't. She does have a lot of emotional strength, but I don't think she'd last under its power.

What I'm wondering is, what would Bombadil have been like had he wanted the ring?

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it." - Cicero

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 24 2013, 8:28pm

Post #3 of 10 (144 views)
Shortcut
Bombadil would probably [In reply to] Can't Post

have used the power to FORCE everyone to dance and sing and caper.

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 24 2013, 8:32pm

Post #4 of 10 (137 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

The eagles have always struck me as very proud and solitary. I think they would use the ring, initially, to remove themselves from the rest of Middle earth. But then they'd start fighting among themselves for it.

And an Ent? Hmmm, I'm not sure, I know they wouldn't be too hasty at least. It depends on the ent, but I think it would either be like Gandalf having the ring (trys to do good with it) or Sam (remember his army of gardeners?)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 12:33am

Post #5 of 10 (114 views)
Shortcut
i'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

... force everyone to listen to his singing.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

nandorin elf
Bree

Oct 25 2013, 1:09am

Post #6 of 10 (107 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's a terrifying thought. Tongue

Wayward
The Shire

Oct 25 2013, 1:16am

Post #7 of 10 (108 views)
Shortcut
Bombaringo! [In reply to] Can't Post

If Tom put on the ring, he'd likely forget he was wearing it and go about his merry business. Frolicking and joy would ensue throughout all of Middle Earth. And it would be adorable. Okay, I'm a Bombadil fan, you've caught me.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 4:34am

Post #8 of 10 (124 views)
Shortcut
Calculating.... calculating... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm. Not sure an eagle or an Ent could even get the Ring on their finger/talon/branch/whatever. The implication seems to be that the Ring must be worn to be used, although it can still corrupt its bearer without being worn on a finger. So I'm not sure what to say here.

Beorn? Dunno. Maybe go kill all the orcs, and then take to killing everyone else who threatens his animals.

I don't think Melian would touch the Ring.

Oh, GOSH, don't let Feanor have it!!! While he might be able to resist its corrupting influence out of sheer contrariness, he might just REVERSE-ENGINEER the thing and make a Ring of his own. Can you say 'we have a problem'?

Arwen... I honestly have no idea. I got the impression that she's quite different from her grandmother, so I wouldn't think she'd be tempted by the Ring. Then again, we don't know enough about her to say.

The King of the Dead? Hmm. Do you have to be alive (sort of) and/or have a corporeal body to use the One Ring? If you do, I can't see what he'd do with it.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 25 2013, 4:53pm

Post #9 of 10 (100 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

An Eagle

As their sheep seemingly sprout invisible wings and fly off, local farmers are struck by the commercial possibilities of ovine aviation.

An Ent

Saruman suspects his initial formula is off as he begins to notice Uruk-Hai randomly deflate and flatten for no discernible reason.

The Shapeshifter (what's his name)?

Tauriel is stumped by the invisible heffalumps and woozels that are stealing the Elf-King’s huny!!!

Melian

When Thingol dies, she does not diminish, nor go into the West, nor remain Melian.

Feanor

Galadriel starts mysteriously losing hair.

Arwen

No longer when Aragorn was abroad from *afar* she watched over him *in thought*, and coincidentally Eowyn started getting black eyes from running into things that weren’t there.

and/or

The King of the Dead (the one that fought for Aragorn)

A ring that turns a ghost invisible seems rather redundant….

Three meals for the Elven-kings high on the sky flet,
Three for the Dwarf-lords meat ripe off the bone,
Three for Mortal Men doomed to diet,
Seven for the Halflings of Hobbiton,
In the Land of the Shire where the taters fry.

Seven meals to rule them all,
Seven meals to find them,
Seven meals to bring them all
And at the Party bind them
In the Land of the Shire where the taters fry.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 25 2013, 10:26pm

Post #10 of 10 (103 views)
Shortcut
Feanor would be the worst, IMHO. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Sauron is a flaming eyeball of power, the ring would make an Ent burn up! Wink

Permanent address: Into the West

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.