Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Are PJ & Co. "lurking" on TORn's MBs & Facebook page? What a silly thought...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 1:32pm

Post #26 of 40 (248 views)
Shortcut
Reaching and Aggresive [In reply to] Can't Post

I really think you're reaching to create something that isn't there as a whole. I do think we and social media are paid attention to but I think the way you're coloring it is not how it is. Not to mention how aggressive you come across that you're right and you've had a gotcha moment. It makes it easy to ignore your posts going forward if this is the route you choose to take.

As far as The Happy Hobbit girls. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. They're sweet girls who I know personally that just love Middle-earth. Jackson has had no impact on how they react to things. They've been hardcore like that in the few years I've known them.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2013, 1:59pm

Post #27 of 40 (229 views)
Shortcut
Just wondering where you got this idea from... [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, it seems that even people who hate the previous movie(s) will see the next ones, if only to criticize.

I haven't seen any comments from folks who outright hated LotR or AUJ say that they would go see the next installments. In fact, those who claim to hate Jackson's adaptations seem to be few and far between, and from those few who do claim to hate the films, I usually see "I will wait for it to come to cable", or "I will not be seeing it". The majority who criticize were simply disappointed in some way or another, doesn't mean they hated it. I was mildly disappointed with some of the liberties taken in AUJ, and yes, I make my share of criticisms regarding those liberties. And I will still absolutely go see the next films, because I want to love the films, not because seeing them will give me fodder to come here and complain.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2013, 2:20pm

Post #28 of 40 (189 views)
Shortcut
Amen to that // [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

Noria
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 2:35pm

Post #29 of 40 (189 views)
Shortcut
Just an oversimplification [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm sorry if it offended you. Didn't mean it that way. People will see DoS and TaBA for many reasons of course.

My main point was that even some Tolkien book fans who didn't like PJ's previous ME movies seem to be planning to see the next ones, so PJ doesn't have to worry about attracting either AUJ lovers or haters. We will see the movies and push up the box office take regardless.

There seem to be a number of people here who voice nothing but complaints about AUJ, so I think I can be forgiven for thinking they don't like it.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2013, 4:24pm

Post #30 of 40 (201 views)
Shortcut
Wrong on several points [In reply to] Can't Post

It's well-established that removing Arwen from Helm's Deep was a decision made by the film crew without any input from fans.

I have personally met the Happy Hobbits and your characterization could not be more incorrect. They are genuine fans of Tolkien and the movies.

I know it strokes people's ego to believe that Peter and the film crew read these message boards and adapt the movies to what they read, but that's not true. WB does have staff monitoring all fan sites to take down copyrighted material, however there is no conduit back to the film team. Peter is a professional and has enough confidence in his own vision to avoid fan influence.

Noria
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 4:46pm

Post #31 of 40 (166 views)
Shortcut
This is how I see it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's well-established that removing Arwen from Helm's Deep was a decision made by the film crew without any input from fans.

I have personally met the Happy Hobbits and your characterization could not be more incorrect. They are genuine fans of Tolkien and the movies.

I know it strokes people's ego to believe that Peter and the film crew read these message boards and adapt the movies to what they read, but that's not true. WB does have staff monitoring all fan sites to take down copyrighted material, however there is no conduit back to the film team. Peter is a professional and has enough confidence in his own vision to avoid fan influence.

Entmaiden, you know much better than I how TORN works but what you say makes sense to me. I thought those Happy Hobbit were cute.

My reading of Peter Jackson himself from interviews and commentaries is that he makes his movies as he sees fit and while he may make last minute changes at any point, they are for his reasons. If he can resist notes from the studio in making LotR, he isn't going to worry about the relatively small number of book fans who don't like his movies. That's the same quality that enabled him to push through the obstacles that almost prevented the making of these movies.

That being said, I hope he knows that a lot of of us do love AUJ.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2013, 5:55pm

Post #32 of 40 (149 views)
Shortcut
Any creative person [In reply to] Can't Post

has to listen to their own voice and not allow others to interfere. Otherwise, they'll end up with a mess on their hands.

I don't KNOW anything, but the consistency in the message from the cast and crew of the films is the same: They are very aware of fan interest and appreciate our support, but at the end of the day they have to make their movie, not a fan-made movie. Peter Jackson is essentially shy, from what I can observe, so mingling with fans doesn't seme to be easy for him. But he stayed at the NZ premier party for hours, shaking hands and signing autographs. I was fortunate to shake his hand on the red carpet and thank him for all his work, and he seemed genuinely pleased to see all of us. He's a professional artist and knows how to keep his vision separate from his appreciation from the fans.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2013, 9:34pm

Post #33 of 40 (98 views)
Shortcut
No I didn't take offense :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I just figured I'd weigh in and let it be known that many of those who do criticize certain aspects of the film didn't necessarily hate it.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 11:35pm

Post #34 of 40 (99 views)
Shortcut
Del Toro used to come here though, unless I am much deceived, and that was [In reply to] Can't Post

truly lovely.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 23 2013, 12:26am

Post #35 of 40 (80 views)
Shortcut
You're right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ziggy IS a hero! And I will do that name good. This Ziggy is just a misunderstood hero. Cool

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2013, 12:36am

Post #36 of 40 (91 views)
Shortcut
He did, but he didn't lurk [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo Del Toro registered for the message boards and talked about the Hobbit with many of us, at least as much as he could tell us. He didn't discuss details, and in fact we had a warning message that he could not discuss the script and would not respond to questions or comments. Fortunately, most of the message board members respected his wishes.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 1:18am

Post #37 of 40 (93 views)
Shortcut
If they are... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they know that although some of us have previously expressed concerns about Tauriel -- the possible size of the role and her amount of screen time -- while trying to remain somewhat neutral and undecided until the movie's release...Well, I mean no disrespect to Ms. Lilly, but the, IMO, aggressive marketing involving this character -- particularly when at the expense of more important ones -- has soured me on her to the point of honestly half hoping that her story arc will end thusly:

;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 2:12am

Post #38 of 40 (82 views)
Shortcut
She'll get you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and your little Purina dog too.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Oct 23 2013, 8:01am

Post #39 of 40 (51 views)
Shortcut
it would be rude not to. [In reply to] Can't Post

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Oct 23 2013, 11:27pm

Post #40 of 40 (43 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

"coined the phrase, "I don't like hairy feet" of which she is probably more in/famous for now than any of her acting roles."

You live in a very strange bubble.

Also, this whining about Phillipa Boyens is really getting annoying, and dare I suggest misogynistic.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.