Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why I favor the Hobbit movie over the book...

swampB
Bree

Oct 18 2013, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 15 (870 views)
Shortcut
Why I favor the Hobbit movie over the book... Can't Post

I know we have people complaining about PJ butchering T's work, creating fan fiction, not using the exact lines from the book... These are all valid points IMO and I can see why other people are frustrated... but I have more enjoyment watching the movies and I think I nailed down the real reason why... It's the music. I enjoy music as an art form much more than literature.

And the music is a part of Middle Earth to me...

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 5:48pm

Post #2 of 15 (454 views)
Shortcut
Movie v Book [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the book more but I also love the movies. I find myself liking certain things more from one vs the other a lot. In the end I get everything I want from Middle-earth and that leaves me happy.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 6:58pm

Post #3 of 15 (392 views)
Shortcut
I like the movie more than the book as well... very much so... [In reply to] Can't Post

... However, for me it is the actual storytelling. Tolkien never got me with TH. PJ, FW and PB did so far (despite some issues).

And no, I am not a thirteen year old action loving fankiddy who has no appreciation of the real arts ;) :P

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 18 2013, 6:59pm)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 7:03pm

Post #4 of 15 (403 views)
Shortcut
I've always liked the idea of "The Hobbit" combined with "The Quest of Erebor"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but my main complaint about Jackson's take is all of the inaccuracies regarding Dwarven history and the White Council/the Necromancer. Personally, I didn't mind most of the revisions to "The Hobbit" proper. I know many people don't much care that most of the background lore presented in the film was almost completely rewritten, but it bugs me, and at times makes me feel like I'm watching Peter Jackson's story as opposed to Tolkien's. I'd say I liked a good 70-80% of AUJ, but that 20-30% that I didn't like sticks out like a sore thumb. Still looking forward to the EE though.

Anyway, I am in total agreement about the music. The music has been excellent in all 4 films so far, and I didn't mind the rehashing of the LotR themes used in AUJ, although still not quite sure what to think about the Nazgul theme playing during the Azog/Thorin duel.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 7:40pm

Post #5 of 15 (341 views)
Shortcut
both have thier place [In reply to] Can't Post

but re the Hobbit. in general I'd say I'm liking the films better, the Hobbit to me still reads as a children's tale, tho indisputably like many "fairy" tales a rich classic with much depth and meaning, like the Velveteen Rabbit. But tho I love folklore, mythology, fairy tales and have taken classes etc., for a "general read" I'm always going to pick up LOTR.

Between book and movie, happily I've never had an issue - the book is on my shelves permanently, and now thanks to PJ there's a rich re-telling of the story that I am in love with, for the most part, everything from the colors to the locations to the costumes to the music and most importantly a wonderful group of dwarves and a hobbit. And I like the Hobbit movies better than the LOTR movies because I feel closer to the characters - the Hobbit movies have all been magic for me, overall.

sam90
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 8:10pm

Post #6 of 15 (322 views)
Shortcut
Everyone has their opinions. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a valid point of view and I know some people who haven't read the book and enjoyed the first movie.

The problem is when a movie, the adaptation of a story overshadow the book. Because, the mastermind behind this is J.R.R Tolkien, the one who created this imaginary world. My concern is that people who watch the film and then discover the book will disregard it, deeming it childish and unworthy.

The Hobbit has been disfigured, not necesserely negatively but it bears little ressemblance to the book. It's hollywoodised and they stretched it in 3 big blockbusters.

Of course, a positive side of this is that we talk about Hobbits, Dwarves and Men of this imaginary world. But in the years to come, Tolkien's work should not be put in the sideline or disregarded. The Hobbit and LOTR should make us think of Professeur Tolkien and not exclusively and mostly of the filmaker Peter Jackson.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Oct 18 2013, 8:14pm)

demnation
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 8:23pm

Post #7 of 15 (303 views)
Shortcut
I can understand that, I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing but respect and admiration for all the hard work Howard Shore has put into these films, even though much of the music for LOTR and TH is not to my personal taste. As for book vs. movie, I long ago stopped caring and just tried to enjoy myself.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 19 2013, 8:38pm

Post #8 of 15 (170 views)
Shortcut
I like them all [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked AUJ, but the book is better in some aspects to me, and of course I love music, and the soundtrack is great. It's that reason alone why I don't think you're crazy. Wink

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 9:30pm

Post #9 of 15 (166 views)
Shortcut
Technically, the "Nazgul theme" (you seem to call it) is actually a theme that Howard Shore said was for evil in general [but he mainly used it for the Nazgul in LOTR]. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had wondered that myself last year, but I figured it out with the help of websites. Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Oct 20 2013, 5:48am

Post #10 of 15 (137 views)
Shortcut
That's because [In reply to] Can't Post

you are watching Peter Jackson's story instead of Tolkien's. Some may see this as a bad thing and I would too if I didn't think that Jackson knew how to handle the material well. I like Jackson's take but Tolkien's original story will always rule for me.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 20 2013, 5:11pm

Post #11 of 15 (98 views)
Shortcut
I like the movie better than the book [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's saying a lot, considering how much I like the book! However, in the movie I particularly loved the fleshing out of the dwarves in general and Thorin in particular. In the book, the dwarves were, for me, indistinguishable, and I didn't care one iota about the Thorin character nor that he met his end as he did. Even the LOTR films made Gimli into the stereotypical dwarf. This film has made me care about the characters, and for that I am eternally grateful. I've since re-read The Hobbit, of course, and actually have found it more enjoyable. And now when I re-watch the scene in Moria when Gimli finds Balin's tomb it is so much more touching to me, knowing who Balin was and knowing that the skeleton on the floor holding the book is dear little Ori.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kim
Valinor

Oct 20 2013, 10:11pm

Post #12 of 15 (68 views)
Shortcut
It's the same for me [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie just brought the characters of the dwarves to life and has made me care about them and their fate much more than the book. When I first read the book as a kid, the characters that stuck with me were Bilbo, Gandalf and Gollum. I didn't read it again for several years, and honestly, I barely remembered there were dwarves in the story! I love that the movie has presented them as fully fleshed out characters, and I think it's equal parts character design on the part of SPJ/Weta, and the wonderful job the actors have done to really make them individuals. I can't wait to see what's in store for them in the next 2 movies!

In response to the OP, while the music isn't the sole reason I love the movie, it is a big part of it--this is the first movie soundtrack I've bought in years, and listen to it over and over.

Smile

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2013, 1:52am

Post #13 of 15 (58 views)
Shortcut
I didn't find anything from Shore (I didn't look very hard though)... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but supposedly Doug Adams commented that there was some connection between Azog and the Nazgul, although I couldn't find an exact quote and so I don't know if it's true or not.

This led to speculation on those boards that Thorin could possibly be carrying Thrain's Ring, and that Sauron sent Azog after Thorin to retrieve the Ring. Interesting thought!!

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2013, 2:35am

Post #14 of 15 (51 views)
Shortcut
Is it Jackson's story though? [In reply to] Can't Post

He is adapting Tolkien's story, not telling a story of his own. Some minor changes I'm fine with - I'm not some book purist who accepts nothing that didn't come from the hand of Tolkien. But sometimes I think he needs a crash course in learning how to present things in a subtle manner. His style tends to be very OTT, which I feel works great sometimes (Balrog/Gandalf confrontation), not so great other times (stone giants silliness).

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Oct 21 2013, 4:20am

Post #15 of 15 (48 views)
Shortcut
Well sure, [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand he is adapting Tolkien's work but in doing that with a different medium from literature he has to find a way to tell it in his own way. Thus, that is why I say he is telling his own story.

Telling it how Tolkien wrote it most likely would fail at the box office. He has to "dumb it down" so to speak for audiences of today, many of whom will not read the books and his style seems to appeal to a large amount of movie-goers.

As far as his style, it is over the top sometimes. That's just his style, I guess. I agree the stone giants stuff was mystifying and a little silly. I didn't care for how Radagast was portrayed but for me it's still head and shoulders above what weh had when only the Rankin/Bass and Bakshi films were around.

I don't know about you but those made me ashamed to tell people who didn't understand The Hobbit or LOTR that I was a Tolkien fan. Frown

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.