Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chapter of the Week: Thorin Oakenshield
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 8:40pm

Post #26 of 41 (163 views)
Shortcut
How did you know that was a favourite screencap of mine!? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's soo hot majestic! Heart

I am most touched by such a gift! Thanks, Silwen! Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 8:43pm

Post #27 of 41 (159 views)
Shortcut
Haha, no worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Great statement!

Oooh, good choice of weapon.
I think I'd go with a sword too. Might try an axe if Dwalin gave me one. Sly

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 9:26pm

Post #28 of 41 (155 views)
Shortcut
Very true, Kim. [In reply to] Can't Post

Screencaps, I love screencaps! Thorin all around! Heart
Here's one for you, Kim: here you go! Smile

(How did I know you would be the first one to reply to Silwen concerning Thorin pictures? Sly)

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Oct 19 2013, 10:13pm

Post #29 of 41 (155 views)
Shortcut
It's one of my favorite pictures from the new trailer too... [In reply to] Can't Post

and after Monday, I'll be using it for the background image on my Facebook page... Wink

It seems that I missed one, so I'll answer it first:

14) What did you like most about the scene up to this point? The dialogue, the layout, the facial expressions? Or was there one moment in particular? I love it how Thorin paces around Bilbo as an effort to size him up, so to speak. That would really make me nervous. Actually, just being around Thorin would make me nervous.Wink

Now to continue on where I left off...

I think that the part that mostly stands out to me is when Dwalin asks Thorin “Is Dain with us?” and he slowly lowers his soup spoon and replies slowly “They will not come. They say this Quest is ours and ours alone.” I found this quite a significant moment as everyone seems quite disappointed, especially Dwalin.
18) This scene has a lot of moments when we are shown characterisation. Some are through dialogue. Most are though facial expressions, and there are a lot of things that go unsaid. Are there any moments that stand out to you and why? I was wondering why it was that Dain refused to help. Was he afraid to face the dragon or did he have other duties? Or perhaps he thought that Thorin and the rest of the dwarves were enough to accomplish the task at hand.

19) The only character in this scene who does not know of the details about the Quest is Bilbo. Do you like how this is used in order to explain to the audience, both in the film and the book, the purpose of this meeting?

I think it was appropriate to explain to the audience what was at stake and leave Bilbo a little in the dark at the moment. If Bilbo were to know more of the details, he probably wouldn't have been so eager to go on this little adventure (which turned out to be much bigger, but not as big as LotR) in the first place, since I don't see Bilbo as the adventurous type (even if he is partly a Took, he's more in tune with his Baggins side).

I thought the map is very important as it symbolises hope and their fate.
20) How significant do you think the map is in this scene?

It's a good idea to show the audience (especially those that haven't read the book yet) exactly how far Erebor is from Bag End, and how far Bilbo will be travelling to take part in this little venture.

21) Whilst the dwarves are arguing, Bilbo is pleading for them all to calm down and Thorin quickly rises to his feet and says in Dwarvish “Silence!” and they all sit down, clearly showing that Thorin has authority over them all. Do you think he heard Bilbo or did he just decide the dwarves were going too far?

He was probably getting a little impatient with them, since they seemed to be bickering like spoiled little kids. I don't think what Bilbo was trying to do had any influence on Thorin's actions at this point.

I think the way Thorin was able to motivate the dwarves like that shows how influential he is to them.
22) How did you react the first time you saw Thorin’s speech? I'm not sure how I reacted at the time, but now I pay more attention (I think most of you know why). It shows the audience just how dangerous this quest may be, and it also shows how horrifying it would be if someone (even Bilbo) would walk in and claim the treasure for their own (if it wasn't for Smaug residing in the area, that is).

23) After Thorin’s triumphal moment, Balin states that “there is no way into the mountain.” How did you feel when you heard this?

Since I've read the book, I knew this wasn't the case. I was also curious how Gandalf came across the key (hopefully either the Extended Edition or the upcoming DoS will shine some more light on this). I'm not sure if I was expecting Gandalf to hand Thorin the key at this moment, since it may have been a while since I read the book, and I may not been able to recall what happened in the book at this moment.

Gandalf produces the key and explains to the bemused Thorin that Thráin had given it to him. I am surprised Thorin did not question him any further about how exactly he had come across his father.
24) Do you think they will have anything extra about how Gandalf had found the key in the Extended Edition? Either that or in the upcoming DoS, since I was a little curious about this myself.

”The answer lies hidden somewhere in this map and I do not have the skills to find it. But, there are others in Middle-Earth who can.”
25) When you first saw this, did you know who he meant (as you had read the book)?

I kind of figured he was referring to Elrond. I just wasn't sure how Thorin would take the news if Gandalf actually revealed this to him. This is probably why Gandalf kept this information to himself at the moment.

There are moments in the scene, like when Gandalf makes the room grow dark and when he asks Thorin to trust him and even having the map, I think relates the audience to LOTR.
26) Do you like this link to LOTR? I like it, since it shows the audience how scary Gandalf can be if you cross him. He did a similar thing to old Bilbo when he accused Gandalf of wanting the Ring for himself. There are some people you just don't want to cross.

27) The contract in the book was short. Do you like the fact that the contract is very long (so much for a “usual brief summary”) and full of things that have been added in?
I like the fact that it takes Bilbo a while to read it, and I particularily like the "incineration" part. I'm sure that thought hadn't crossed Bilbo's mind before he read it.

”I cannot guarantee his safety.”
“Understood.”
“Nor will I be responsible for his fate.”
“...Agreed.”

I think Thorin says this to Gandalf because even though his says this in a harsh tone, deep down this shows that he is worried about Bilbo.
28) Why do you think Thorin says this to Gandalf?

Even if he doesn't like him, he probably is a little concerned for Bilbo's safety. The one thing that I like about Thorin (there are a lot more than one) is that's he willing to stand up to a Troll in order to save your life, even if he doesn't particularily like you. And like the new trailer for the DoS shows us, he's not willing to risk the quest for the safety of one burglar (I liked that part).

”Oh aye, he'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye... Think furnace with wings... Flash of light, searing pain and ‘poof’ – you're nothing more than a pile of ash!”
29) Do you think Bofur was trying to make Bilbo laugh, or was he trying to wind Bilbo up?

I'm not sure what Bofur's purpose was. Perhaps just to tell Bilbo what could happen to him if he angered Smaug enough (like stealing his cup for example).
My favourite quote is Kíli’s "Gandalf will have killed hundreds of dragons in his time" – you underestimate wizards, Kíli! Smile
30 [final question] ) What is your favourite quote from this scene?

I like when Dori asks Gandalf how many dragons he's killed and asks him for a number, even if Thorin and most of the audience know that Gandalf is not that kind of wizard.

And to answer your axe or sword question, I'd have to go with sword, since I'm more used to handling them (even though most of the ones I've handled are the plastic kind used for props for many of my Halloween costumes).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Oct 19 2013, 10:21pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 19 2013, 11:10pm

Post #30 of 41 (134 views)
Shortcut
LOL! I love that you remembered that Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

23) After Thorin’s triumphal moment, Balin states that “there is no way into the mountain.” How did you feel when you heard this?
I love someone else’s comment on this in a previous thread “Balin, you’re harshing my Du Bekar buzz”.

I do feel like there is a bit of conflict inherent there - that crestfallen look Thorin has when Balin says that there is no way in...but not surprised - like they've talked about it before, and Thorin is just as disappointed to think upon it again. It also makes Thorin seem younger, less sure of himself for an instant. Which I think is why their private talk in the hall in the next scene (Bilbo's Choice) is a turning point for them both.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 19 2013, 11:15pm

Post #31 of 41 (135 views)
Shortcut
Great point about the refusal of Dain, et al [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I think that the part that mostly stands out to me is when Dwalin asks Thorin “Is Dain with us?” and he slowly lowers his soup spoon and replies slowly “They will not come. They say this Quest is ours and ours alone.” I found this quite a significant moment as everyone seems quite disappointed, especially Dwalin.
18) This scene has a lot of moments when we are shown characterisation. Some are through dialogue. Most are though facial expressions, and there are a lot of things that go unsaid. Are there any moments that stand out to you and why? I was wondering why it was that Dain refused to help. Was he afraid to face the dragon or did he have other duties? Or perhaps he thought that Thorin and the rest of the dwarves were enough to accomplish the task at hand.

I'm interested too Queen in how this will play out. Its significant story debt really, to explain the why the refusal later on down the road. Is it the victory of Sense and Reason over Honor? A sense of calculation (JRRT does rather write Dwarves that way) of risk versus benefit.... was Dain overridden by older, more influential Dwarves? The answer to this question will be a big key to understanding Dain.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 19 2013, 11:52pm

Post #32 of 41 (137 views)
Shortcut
Well, while we're sharing favorite screencaps from this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

here's one more:

Gotta love the smirk (shades of Guy, Roheryn?)

Evil

Rohan

Oct 20 2013, 8:44am

Post #33 of 41 (105 views)
Shortcut
Ah, more excellent answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your time to post them, Queen of Erebor. Smile
Oooh, sword - good choice. I've weilded like 100 different swords when I was little, being as tomboyish as I was. Laugh

P.S. Are you reading the posts on "flat mode"? Sometimes I find it quite confusing as people sometimes reply to the wrong people. I'd reccomend changing it to "threaded mode". *points to right-hand side of website* There's a little button up there (beside Previous Thread, Next Thread, Watch Thread, Print Thread) that should say "Chamge to Flat Mode". You could maybe see which mode you prefer. Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Oct 20 2013, 8:46am

Post #34 of 41 (102 views)
Shortcut
I was *so* close to posting that image to you yesterday!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Esmeralda
Bree

Oct 20 2013, 3:13pm

Post #35 of 41 (117 views)
Shortcut
Du Bekar! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) This is the first time since the prologue that we encounter this character. What are your impressions of him now?

It was a pretty stunning entrance. Something about the noble profile and the ease and confidence with which he greeted Gandalf and took charge of the situation. He was quiet, measured, but still came off as a force to be reckoned with.

2) Do you like the fact that Thorin arrives late?

Yes, they definitely played his arrival for maximum impact. And boy did it work.

3) Why do you think the filmmakers decided, of all people, that Gandalf should open the door?

There was something RA said in an interview about how Ian McKellan bowed to Thorin during his introduction, giving him immediate status, which allowed Richard to instantly embrace the nobility of his character. I don't think we see Gandalf bowing, but he most definitely introduces Thorin with the intent of emphasizing what a truly 'important dwarf' he is. Several other dwarves do bow, so we all know that here is someone of rank and high standing among them.

4) What do you think of his attitude towards Gandalf?

He seems pleased to see him. Perhaps especially because Gandalf is willing to help on this quest while his own kinsmen are not. Thorin desperately wants to take this journey, he wants to return to the mountain, and with the wizard, they might actually have a chance.

5) A little fun question: How do you think he managed to lose his way (twice) to Bag-End?

Maybe there was a mist or a light rain that reduced visibility? That would explain the cloaks that we don't see again. He's also coming from a different direction than the other dwarves, so maybe Gandalf's description didn't translate well. Or he was using the iphone map-app.

6) What do you think of the composition and camera angle in this screencap?

I think we're at hobbit-eye-height here, which gives and impression of how tall and massive Thorin seems, even compared to Gandalf. Dwalin may have been more immediately intimidating, but Thorin has more elegance and a sense of restrained power, which makes him even more imposing.

7) What do you think about Bilbo’s reaction to the mark on the door?

The whole evening has been a long string of frustrations and confusions, where everyone knows more about what's going on than he does, with dwarves taking over his private little hole and pretty much doing as they please. He's trying to assert his position as home-owner and (involuntary) host, only to be wrong once again.

8) Did you notice the smile Thorin gives to Kíli during Bilbo’s flustered statement about there being no mark on his door? Do you think that this hints to the face that they are related?

It's certainly significant, considering how seldom Thorin smiles. There's clearly some kind of intimacy there, though the nature of that intimacy is not yet revealed.

9) What do you think of Thorin’s first impressions of Bilbo and his “interrogation” (in comparison to Gandalf’s during the Good Morning scene)?

"So, this is the Hobbit." Again, he clearly knows more about the situation than Bilbo, who must be mystified at being labeled *the* hobbit by this unknown dwarf. Everything is geared towards keeping Bilbo uncomfortable and off-balance.

10) Bonus Question here: “Axe or Sword, what’s your weapon of choice?” 

I understand that swords take quite a bit of practice to use effectively, whereas I know I can chop pretty well with an axe. So axe it is.

11) Do you think Bilbo’s reply was more to be funny but when he realises Thorin is being serious the joke becomes lost?

Again, Bilbo has no idea what's going on and replies to what he must consider a ridiculous question with sarcasm that falls flat, because, of course, the question was serious, even if Thorin probably didn't expect Bilbo to be able to answer as a warrior would.

12) In the book, this line was said by Glóin. Do you like that they included this from the book and that they gave them to Thorin?

In the book, it's an important line. It's the moment Bilbo's Tookish spine stiffens and he determines to be considered as fierce, rather than a red-faced, puffing hobbit. It makes sense to give the line to Thorin, since he's the one judging Bilbo at this point, and it's his attitude that will be reflected by the other dwarves.

13) What does Gandalf’s exasperated expression tell us about the situation?

I agree with others who say it appears to be a sigh of relief that Thorin didn't just turn around and stomp out of Bag End after meeting Gandalf's burglar, or say something unforgivably bad-tempered, which we know dwarves are quite capable of doing when introduced to non-dwarves (Gimli, I'm looking at you!) Gandalf wants this to work out, but he's not at all sure how or if it really has any sort of chance. But at least Thorin is willing to come in and sit down to discuss it.

14) What did you like most about the scene up to this point? The dialogue, the layout, the facial expressions? Or was there one moment in particular?

Our first view of Thorin at the door, really. That's the moment I wanted to watch over and over. It's such a beautiful shot.

15) After the feast the other dwarves have had, would you say this is a "meagre meal" for Thorin to have?

It certainly gives the impression of restraint, once again setting Thorin apart from the company. He is not up for much in the way of indulgence and nonsense. He's got too much weighing on his mind and heart.

16) Do you find the lighting quite effective for this scene?

As someone else pointed out, it mirrors a quote from the book - "dark for dark work" or something of the sort.

17) What are your thoughts on this?

They don't argue at this point, though the eye-rolling and rude noises indicate that not everyone buys into the prophecy thing. Thorin gives Oin's claims at least a practical significance - that others might see and believe them and make a move on the mountain on the chance that Smaug could be dead and the treasure unguarded.

18) This scene has a lot of moments when we are shown characterisation. Some are through dialogue. Most are though facial expressions, and there are a lot of things that go unsaid. Are there any moments that stand out to you and why?

It seems like each dwarf gets a moment that reveals something of their character. I think I like Nori's comment "'ere, 'oo you callin' dim?" in response to Balin's "not the best nor the brightest." Though watching Dwalin's reaction at the moment you mentioned brings me back to Azinulbizar, where he fought alongside Thorin. According to the appendices, Dain and his people were there as well, presumably at the behest of King Thror. But their losses were so devastating, it seems likely to be the reason for refusing to follow Thror's grandson on a similarly dangerous and fruitless mission. "Not again."

19) The only character in this scene who does not know of the details about the Quest is Bilbo. Do you like how this is used in order to explain to the audience, both in the film and the book, the purpose of this meeting?

A common device. It's also the source of much of the humor, with Bilbo being so thoroughly out-of-the-loop.

20) How significant do you think the map is in this scene?

I love that map. I went back to it constantly when I read the book. I'm so happy I own a full-sized copy now :). It's got everything a map ought to have - mysterious runes, secret writing, and the prerequisite 'Here be dragons' warning. Its introduction is hugely significant for any number of reasons. It shows that Gandalf has a personal connection to this quest - he produces the map, not Thorin. It also draws Bilbo out of his corner into the discussion. And it brings us back to the land revealed in the prologue. This is our goal, our treasure map, the mountain is our 'X'.

21) Whilst the dwarves are arguing, Bilbo is pleading for them all to calm down and Thorin quickly rises to his feet and says in Dwarvish “Silence!” and they all sit down, clearly showing that Thorin has authority over them all. Do you think he heard Bilbo or did he just decide the dwarves were going too far?

I've always interpreted this scene slightly differently - I think the dwarves are wagering on how many dragons Gandalf has killed, much like they wagered on whether Bilbo would show up or not. Thorin interrupts them because he has more important concerns than their urge to gamble. But yes, while he doesn't command them often, when he does, it is with the expectation that they will obey. And they do.

22) How did you react the first time you saw Thorin’s speech?

I was thinking how much better Thorin is at motivational speeches than Aragorn :).

Well, I *knew* there was another way into the mountain, so I appreciated the line as the clear set-up it was for Gandalf's big reveal.

But I giggled at someone's description of Balin as "Harshing my Dubekar buzz." Duuuuuuude.

24) Do you think they will have anything extra about how Gandalf had found the key in the Extended Edition?

I think it's clear from early trailers that Gandalf was supposed to be attacked by Thrain in the first movie, but then the split happened. We see similar shots in the trailers for DOS, so I think we will see a flashback with old Thrain in DOS, and presumably that's when Gandalf gets the key.

”The answer lies hidden somewhere in this map and I do not have the skills to find it. But, there are others in Middle-Earth who can.”
25) When you first saw this, did you know who he meant (as you had read the book)?

Again, I knew exactly who he was talking about, though I thought it odd that Gandalf knew there was something hidden on the map but couldn't see what. In the book, Elrond finds the hidden script by accident. Gandalf's statement in the movie is clearly a set-up for the need to see the elves, which grumpy movie-Thorin is very much against.

26) Do you like this link to LOTR?

Up to this point, Gandalf has been trying very hard to come across as a kindly old duffer who just wants everyone to get along. His sudden transformation seems a bit of an overreaction to the questioning of Bilbo's burgling abilities. But it was an effective way to stop the bickering and show how serious Gandalf was about including Bilbo. It also reveals how sure Gandalf is that Bilbo has the qualities necessary, even if they won't emerge up until needed.

The similar scene in LOTR was much more serious, with greater stakes. If Gandalf had not shocked Ian-Bilbo out of his Ring-induced paranoia, the hobbit might never have found the strength to surrender the ring voluntarily. Remember, Bilbo is the only creature *ever* to manage that. I can only think that Gandalf's 'Voice of Doom' played a part in making it possible.

27) The contract in the book was short. Do you like the fact that the contract is very long (so much for a “usual brief summary”) and full of things that have been added in?

I love that contract, I've read the whole thing and it is hysterical. I have to think that WETA was inspired by horrific predatory contracts and agreements from the entertainment industry.

Visually, it gets this idea across wonderfully. Fabulous job by WETA.

I think he wants the wizard to be responsible for Bilbo, so Thorin doesn't have to worry about him. But as we see, Thorin makes the choice to save Bilbo twice, at great risk to himself and the company, and resents it terribly.

29) Do you think Bofur was trying to make Bilbo laugh, or was he trying to wind Bilbo up?

I don't think he was trying to make Bilbo laugh. I think he was teasing Bilbo for dwarfish amusement, just like he teased Bilbo about blunting the knives and forks while pounding them on the table. It's not a nice sort of teasing, but I'm guessing it's the kind of humor that dwarves indulge in. Not malicious, but not for the faint-of-heart. Or faint-of-hobbit.

Thorin's "How came you by this?" When Gandalf reveals the key. It's the first time we see Thorin really shaken and moved. It shows that beneath his power and confidence, there is uncertainty and a deep yearning for what has been lost.

Rohan

Oct 20 2013, 3:46pm

Post #36 of 41 (94 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous answers, Esmeralda! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like your favourite chosen quote from Thorin: "How came you by this?" It really shows his amazement and wonder about how Gandalf found the key.
I'm still wondering if there will be a flashback scene on how he got the map and key. It looks as if, when he enters Dol Guldur after leaving the company (before the dwarves enter Mirkwood), he meets Thráin. I find it quite confusing, but I suppose all will become clear once we see DoS. Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Oct 20 2013, 4:30pm

Post #37 of 41 (90 views)
Shortcut
Glad you like it // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2013, 2:05am

Post #38 of 41 (111 views)
Shortcut
Hello, your majesticness! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

1) This is the first time since the prologue that we encounter this character. What are your impressions of him now?
2) Do you like the fact that Thorin arrives late? Well, to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what I thought of the older Thorin at first. I certainly didn't like the way he treated Bilbo. It wasn't until the conversation with Balin in the hallway of Bag End ("There are a few warriors amongst us"..."There is no choice, Balin. Not for me.") that I decided I liked Thorin. (I mean, besides his physical appearance. Angelic) I'm glad Thorin had his own entrance. He definitely needed to be featured here.

4) What do you think of his attitude towards Gandalf?
I'm guessing that the tension between Gandalf and Thorin, and Thorin's attitude toward Bilbo, is pretty puzzling if you hadn't read the background of the quest in Unfinished Tales. But I think it's plain that Gandalf is worried Thorin is going to go all Stubborn Dwarf on him...and Thorin is very reluctant to agree with Gandalf on this particular point.

”I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way. Twice. I would not have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door.”
5) A little fun question: How do you think he managed to lose his way (twice) to Bag-End? I don't know, but I feel a tiny bit sorry for the Dwarves he eventually led to the Blue Mountains. I wonder how long they "wandered the wilderness"...Tongue

6) What do you think of the composition and camera angle in this screencap? 8) Did you notice the smile Thorin gives to Kíli during Bilbo’s flustered statement about there being no mark on his door? Do you think that this hints to the face that they are related? I think this is a visual clue that we viewers are supposed to like Thorin. Not only do we see a soft side, but it's kind of a personal one-on-one moment with Thorin, when no one else in the picture is involved.
I think the smile gives a hint, but it's not clear they're related. Actually, I missed this moment the first time I saw the movie, and was kind of blown away on the second viewing! (Wow! He can smile!) Smile

9) What do you think of Thorin’s first impressions of Bilbo and his “interrogation” (in comparison to Gandalf’s during the Good Morning scene)?
10) Bonus Question here: “Axe or Sword, what’s your weapon of choice?” Wink
”Well, I have some skills with conkers if you must know... though, I fail to see why that’s relevant...”
11) Do you think Bilbo’s reply was more to be funny but when he realises Thorin is being serious the joke becomes lost? Thorin's first impressions seem to be exactly what Bilbo later proves when he passes out from the mere description of the dragon. (I mean, compare Ori's stand on facing dragons! Laugh) I don't think Bilbo's reply was meant to be funny at all. On his walks Bilbo might have scared off a wild animal or two with a well-placed stone or acorn (hence the buttons??), and this was his idea of excellent defense.

15) After the feast the other dwarves have had, would you say this is a "meagre meal" for Thorin to have? I think this is what Thorin chose to eat...the other dishes on the table don't seem to be leftovers, so I don't think he's just getting the dregs.

16) Do you find the lighting quite effective for this scene?
Yes, there is a sense of mystery. Smile

When the dwarves stand up and argue, I think, shows that even though they are supposed to be a team, their personalities clash.
17) What are your thoughts on this?
I think that's the idea, but I found their fight kind of confusing, because of all the things to argue about, why this?

18) This scene has a lot of moments when we are shown characterisation. Some are through dialogue. Most are though facial expressions, and there are a lot of things that go unsaid. Are there any moments that stand out to you and why? You are so right about the nonverbals here. We get a ton of them: Bombur steadily eating his way through the entire conversation; Bofur upbeat, enthusiastic--and mischievous; Kili so excited he can hardly contain himself; Bifur in his zone; Fili calm and thoughtful (what a contrast to the dinner scene!)--there are plenty more. Very insightful, especially watching the characters when the camera is not focused on them.

20) How significant do you think the map is in this scene? The map is important because it explains to the audience about the unexpected secret door...but I think the key is more significant. It's like Thorin's forebears have officially bestowed the burden to restore Erebor on him.

21) Whilst the dwarves are arguing, Bilbo is pleading for them all to calm down and Thorin quickly rises to his feet and says in Dwarvish “Silence!” and they all sit down, clearly showing that Thorin has authority over them all. Do you think he heard Bilbo or did he just decide the dwarves were going too far? If Thorin heard Bilbo, I'm sure it didn't influence him in the least. He was just tired of the noise. Tongue

22) How did you react the first time you saw Thorin’s speech? Give me a pony!!! Cool

Balin = Party pooper.

24) Do you think they will have anything extra about how Gandalf had found the key in the Extended Edition? I certainly hope we get more footage on this somewhere, because it's pretty confusing otherwise, especially once we hear that the father who had given Gandalf the key for safekeeping went missing from Azanulbizar, mad with grief!

25) When you first saw this, did you know who he meant (as you had read the book)? Yes, I knew of the existence of the Rune Reader 3000 TM. Wink

There are moments in the scene, like when Gandalf makes the room grow dark and when he asks Thorin to trust him and even having the map, I think relates the audience to LOTR.
26) Do you like this link to LOTR? Meh. I thought it was a bit too obvious a link, but it's okay.

”I cannot guarantee his safety.”
“Understood.”
“Nor will I be responsible for his fate.”
“...Agreed.”

I think Thorin says this to Gandalf because even though his says this in a harsh tone, deep down this shows that he is worried about Bilbo.
I think Thorin is really worried about Bilbo dying--not because he cares about him particularly, but because Gandalf does--and Thorin really needs Gandalf's help on the quest. However, Thorin does take his responsibility to his followers seriously (as we see as he rescues Bilbo later on). I think he's also letting Gandalf know that he knows that Bilbo is going to be a liability, and his blood is on Gandalf's head! (Fortunately Bilbo finds his, er, courage.)

”Oh aye, he'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye... Think furnace with wings... Flash of light, searing pain and ‘poof’ – you're nothing more than a pile of ash!”
I'm pretty sure he was trying to wind him up. Bilbo hasn't laughed a whole lot up to this point and doesn't seem a likely candidate.

My favourite quote is Kíli’s "Gandalf will have killed hundreds of dragons in his time" – you underestimate wizards, Kíli! Smile
That's a great one, but I'd have to say, "Du Bekar!" Cool

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 9:20am

Post #39 of 41 (82 views)
Shortcut
Great answers there, Riven Delve! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'd say "Du Bekar" is definitely a favourite quote from us Thorin fangirls. Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2013, 12:11pm

Post #40 of 41 (76 views)
Shortcut
Dain's refusal [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I have to wonder how much of Dain PJ & Co. will show us--just battle scenes, or will we get to know him, and immediately understand why he refused to come?

I had always assumed that it was because it was kind of ridiculous to expect a small group (or even a largish group, short of a huge army) to get rid of or plunder the dragon that conquered the entire Dwarven army of Erebor, so Dain was just being practical.

Also remember that in the appendices of ROTK, Dain refused to accompany Thrain in retaking Moria after Azanulbizar. He knew Durin's Bane was in there, and he knew the foe was beyond any of them (Smile). I think the same logic is at work here in regard to the dragon. However, the movie is a whole 'nother story, so we will see!

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 10:13pm

Post #41 of 41 (61 views)
Shortcut
You are right RD - [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, I have to wonder how much of Dain PJ & Co. will show us--just battle scenes, or will we get to know him, and immediately understand why he refused to come?

I had always assumed that it was because it was kind of ridiculous to expect a small group (or even a largish group, short of a huge army) to get rid of or plunder the dragon that conquered the entire Dwarven army of Erebor, so Dain was just being practical.

Also remember that in the appendices of ROTK, Dain refused to accompany Thrain in retaking Moria after Azanulbizar. He knew Durin's Bane was in there, and he knew the foe was beyond any of them (Smile). I think the same logic is at work here in regard to the dragon. However, the movie is a whole 'nother story, so we will see!

Will have to see how it plays out. I agree, its very logical NOT to go...so it may set up a dynamic between Dain and Thorin.

It may give us an arc for Dain - which of course the book really doesn't give us. Starting out more practical and then coming to Thorin's aid when he needs it most. Because at the end I think we are going to have to like Dain one way or another. Though nothing will compensate for the end in any case.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.