Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
You are right RD -

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 10:13pm

Views: 36
Shortcut
You are right RD - [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, I have to wonder how much of Dain PJ & Co. will show us--just battle scenes, or will we get to know him, and immediately understand why he refused to come?

I had always assumed that it was because it was kind of ridiculous to expect a small group (or even a largish group, short of a huge army) to get rid of or plunder the dragon that conquered the entire Dwarven army of Erebor, so Dain was just being practical.

Also remember that in the appendices of ROTK, Dain refused to accompany Thrain in retaking Moria after Azanulbizar. He knew Durin's Bane was in there, and he knew the foe was beyond any of them (Smile). I think the same logic is at work here in regard to the dragon. However, the movie is a whole 'nother story, so we will see!

Will have to see how it plays out. I agree, its very logical NOT to go...so it may set up a dynamic between Dain and Thorin.

It may give us an arc for Dain - which of course the book really doesn't give us. Starting out more practical and then coming to Thorin's aid when he needs it most. Because at the end I think we are going to have to like Dain one way or another. Though nothing will compensate for the end in any case.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: Thorin Oakenshield FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 18 2013, 1:44pm
    I *love* the picture of Thorin at the top! Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Oct 18 2013, 4:48pm
        Why, thank you, Silwen! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 9:02am
            You're welcome. Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Oct 19 2013, 8:34pm
                Well now that screencap Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 19 2013, 8:36pm
                    Very true, Kim. FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 9:26pm
                        It's one of my favorite pictures from the new trailer too... Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Oct 19 2013, 10:13pm
                            Great point about the refusal of Dain, et al Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 19 2013, 11:15pm
                                Dain's refusal Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Oct 21 2013, 12:11pm
                                    You are right RD - Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 22 2013, 10:13pm
                            Ah, more excellent answers! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 20 2013, 8:44am
                How did you know that was a favourite screencap of mine!? FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 8:40pm
                    Well, while we're sharing favorite screencaps from this scene Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 19 2013, 11:52pm
                        I was *so* close to posting that image to you yesterday!// FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 20 2013, 8:46am
                    Glad you like it // Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Oct 20 2013, 4:30pm
    Ah, a subject dear to my heart! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Oct 18 2013, 6:52pm
        Lion's mane..... Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 18 2013, 8:23pm
            Too tired to respond to the OPs very long post at the mo. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 18 2013, 10:20pm
                on Thorin's side..... Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 18 2013, 11:08pm
            This one I may have to split in half, since this could take a while... Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Oct 18 2013, 10:55pm
                Great analysis so far, Queen of Erebor! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 9:15am
    re scene thoughts Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 18 2013, 7:05pm
    You forgot the best Thorin screencap of them all thomasofrohan Send a private message to thomasofrohan Oct 18 2013, 11:00pm
        awwww *melting* Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 18 2013, 11:10pm
    Finally! Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 18 2013, 11:19pm
        I knew you'd find your way here! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 8:45am
        LOL! I love that you remembered that Kim! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 19 2013, 11:10pm
    I'm really pleased you chose this screencap ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Oct 19 2013, 9:09am
        Agreed. FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 9:44am
        Interesting screencap. Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Oct 19 2013, 8:26pm
            Oh! Good ideas! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 8:38pm
    This is part of my favourite section of the movie, which includes the scenes from "Good Morning" to Bilbo running out the door to join the quest Noria Send a private message to Noria Oct 19 2013, 3:09pm
    Dinner Discussion!!!! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 19 2013, 7:45pm
        Great analysis, Brethil! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 8:15pm
    A little note about Question 10 FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 8:18pm
        Oh darn! I forgot to answer it!!! Thanks for the reminder! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 19 2013, 8:39pm
            Haha, no worries! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 19 2013, 8:43pm
    Du Bekar! Esmeralda Send a private message to Esmeralda Oct 20 2013, 3:13pm
        Fabulous answers, Esmeralda! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 20 2013, 3:46pm
    Hello, your majesticness! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Oct 21 2013, 2:05am
        Great answers there, Riven Delve! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 21 2013, 9:20am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.