Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
(Tenuous?) Evidence for Bolg in DOS?

HelmHammerHand
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 11:14am

Post #1 of 16 (860 views)
Shortcut
(Tenuous?) Evidence for Bolg in DOS? Can't Post

I remember a line that PJ said in the last vlog - something like 'A new blog is coming in from the North! Ah!'

Is it possible that PJ is misquoting a line from Gandalf along the lines of 'Bolg is coming from the North!' reminiscent of that great scene in the book when Gandalf appears between the two armies.

Perhaps Ian McKellan deliberately or otherwise said 'blog' instead of 'bolg' and that is the context to what PJ says in the vlog.

slightly desperate speculation...Smile

Incidentally - presumably Dain is not in DOS?

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 12:01pm

Post #2 of 16 (417 views)
Shortcut
Interesting indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hah, never thought about it that way - it would make sense though, to some extent Wink.

"A new Bolg is sweeping in from the North"? hmmm - who knows ...Wink

Unfortunately, the set in which PJ states this seems to be the desolated Dale and perhaps a reference to Film 3, thus possibly still no Bolg in DoS Unsure

Incidentally - presumably Dain is not in DOS?

I'm so hoping he is! No Bolg, no Dain, no White Council ... ahh! Crazy

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 12:27pm

Post #3 of 16 (433 views)
Shortcut
We know bolg will be in DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

From empire magazine, as pj talks about his role in DOS numerous times, like how he will join up with azog to Pursue the company, how he is the scariest Orc they've revert created, and how there will have a father son relationship with azog. This is confirmation enough. Bolg will be in dos. They just are keeping him a surprise.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 12:29pm

Post #4 of 16 (409 views)
Shortcut
That's what I've always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

but considering the lack of any mention of Conan Stevens and the general rumours of an image change, I wondered whether PJ decided for a last minute emendation to his original statement in the Empire interview.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

deskp
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 3:31pm

Post #5 of 16 (299 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Even the lego set was intended to have Bolg in it, but he was taken out and replaced by a generic orc. SO either hes not in this film or he has been redesigned.

Kierkegaurdian
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 4:06pm

Post #6 of 16 (283 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

they have to give Bolg a lot of screen time in DOS for him to be an effective bad guy at the BOFA. He won't seem as threatening or dreadful if he is absent for a while, then suddenly there.

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 4:46pm

Post #7 of 16 (252 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gothmog was a RotK exclusive.

Lio
Lorien

Oct 19 2013, 1:33am

Post #8 of 16 (152 views)
Shortcut
I don't know how, but I totally misread that as [In reply to] Can't Post

"He will join up with Azog and the Talking Purse"

I think it's time to get some sleep.

(On second thought, that would be amazing. Laugh)

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Lio
Lorien

Oct 19 2013, 1:47am

Post #9 of 16 (181 views)
Shortcut
Further NEW evidence for Bolg in DoS? [In reply to] Can't Post

Over in the Gaming & Collecting forum, there is the following thread:

Ravensburger DOS puzzle

If you look at the close-up of the first puzzle, there are outlines of a group of Orcs at the bottom. The last one is clearly Azog on his Warg. But look at the Orc leading the line. Based on his size, weapon, and general outline, it seems to be Bolg! And the original design too. Maybe Bolg isn't being redesigned after all?

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 1:58am

Post #10 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely him.

It could be, like Bridge Direct, this merchandise was designed before any Bolg shake-up but let's hope that's not the case. My only fear for DOS is that they'll replace Bolg's involvement in Dol Guldur with Azog.

It wouldn't be the end of the world since Azog has grown on me but Bolg is such an impressive and beautiful prosthetic design. It'd be a shame to have that insanely creepy character fall to the wayside.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Oct 19 2013, 2:20am

Post #11 of 16 (150 views)
Shortcut
I agree completely [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, on the subject of Azog replacing Bolg, could it be they're switching them around for DOS and TABA? If they're replacing Bolg with Azog, and Azog with Bolg, that could explain why Bolg would be getting a CGI makeover all of a sudden. One potentially good thing to come out of this could be that Bolg will now reclaim his rightful position as main orc later on in the trilogy and lead the orc army at the BOFA, with Azog possibly dying before then.

Of course, this is assuming his original role as Dol Guldur torturer was a smaller part, secondary to Azog's. It's hard to make sense of all this, time will tell. Crazy

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 19 2013, 4:05pm

Post #12 of 16 (103 views)
Shortcut
While this is great news [In reply to] Can't Post

How can u tell. I might be looking at the wrong thing and I don't see anything but sillouetes of orcs at the bottom. Are you sure it's him?

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 19 2013, 4:11pm

Post #13 of 16 (111 views)
Shortcut
Looks to me like Bolg has been cut. And I think it's a good thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the original idea was that Bolg tortured prisoners at Dol Guldur?

Looking at the Dol Guldur Lego sets it seems Azog is going to be involved in the attack. So I think Bolg has been replaced with Azog somehow?

Why is this good?

Because it's much closer to the book! Bolg was never anything to do with Dol Guldur and it looks to me like his part in these films is back in its rightful place - In TaBA he will lead the orcs from Gundabad to the Bo5A to avenge his fallen father.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 19 2013, 4:14pm)

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Oct 19 2013, 5:18pm

Post #14 of 16 (84 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty much what I was getting at as well. Here's hoping we're right. While I've grown quite fond of Bolg's original design and would be disappointed if he's getting a drastic redesign, if this means he's getting an expanded part I'm all for it. I just hope then his new design is something really mean and special.

Lio
Lorien

Oct 20 2013, 8:38pm

Post #15 of 16 (43 views)
Shortcut
I'm, oh, let's say, 90% sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on the mace and the shape of the armour, it sure looks like the Bolg design. Wink What's interesting is that the pose is from an angle we haven't seen before in the promotional materials!

Orcs are mammals!

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 6:11pm

Post #16 of 16 (34 views)
Shortcut
My guess on how the storyline will play out... [In reply to] Can't Post

As we all know, Azog's minions are in pursuit of the Company as the ride the barrels down to Long Lake. After Bilbo and the Dwarves escape, I think we'll get a scene showing Azog being forced to abandon his pursuit of Thorin and make his way to Dol Guldur where his master (the Necromancer) needs him.

Taking Azog to Dol Guldur is probably the best solution to the dilemma of why he wouldn't simply carry on hunting Thorin and company.

At Dol Guldur, Gandalf will confront the Necromancer who will demonstrate his ability to raise the dead by summoning Azog from the shadows. We get a flashback to the moment of Azog's resurrection. The Necromancer was able to use the imprisoned Thrain's life essence to resurrect Azog. Thrain still exists but just as a zombie, a slave bent to the Necromancer's will. Gandalf says 'there was only one being in this world capable of such twisted evil' and we see the Necromancer smile. 'Very good, Olórin,' he says....

While I may be living in fantasy land with that scenario...I really do think it will be revealed that Azog was brough back by the Necromancer. Bolg won't appear until the Bo5A.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.