Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
MrCere's Set visit exclusive -Extras: living large in the background of The Hobbit.

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 12:44am

Post #1 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut
MrCere's Set visit exclusive -Extras: living large in the background of The Hobbit. Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...round-of-the-hobbit/

Kim
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 1:28am

Post #2 of 20 (411 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the fun report on the life of an extra/background artist. I'm so excited we finally get to start reading MrCere's set reports!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 1:40am

Post #3 of 20 (383 views)
Shortcut
Another Worldwide Win! for ALL of us here @ TORn...Go Go!/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2013, 5:31am

Post #4 of 20 (337 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a great read, Mr. Cere! You know we are all eager and interested to hear lots of details, so don't worry about running too long. The more immersive, the better. Thanks for being our eyes and ears on set! Cool

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Endor Dweller
Bree

Oct 18 2013, 8:08am

Post #5 of 20 (289 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you MrCere! Great read!

So after your fourth or fifth viewing, spare some attention for the excellent ink blots in the faint distance and raise your coke cup to the background talent, citizens of Lake-town.

I will Smile

Can't wait to hear more!

- Good morning.
- What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning...or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?

- Good evening.
- Yes, yes it is. Though I think it might rain later.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2013, 9:17am

Post #6 of 20 (263 views)
Shortcut
This was a fantastic read, thank you MrCere. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've all been waiting patiently to finally hear about your visits and experiences on The Hobbit set.

Thank you.

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 12:57pm

Post #7 of 20 (203 views)
Shortcut
Excellent - very much enjoyed reading that... [In reply to] Can't Post

And MrCere, don't worry about the length of the amount of detail. You give a real sense of what it was like to be there. Thanks for recapturing it all for us.

nhui06
Rivendell

Oct 18 2013, 3:55pm

Post #8 of 20 (178 views)
Shortcut
Interesting note [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the direction about the 'attack from above' very interesting. Was this really part of DOS? If so, do we have a semi-confirmation then than Smaug will be attacking Laketown in DOS?

patrickk
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 10:37pm

Post #9 of 20 (114 views)
Shortcut
There is no way the extras (background artists) will know what movie they are shooting [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 10:56pm

Post #10 of 20 (109 views)
Shortcut
Great post! Thanks!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed it so much I read I twice. Its great to feel that the people we like to watch so much are a genuinely lovely bunch, even under the stress of work.

Thanks Mr. Cere! And I second others opinion - the longer and more detailed your reports are the better! Cool

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 11:23pm

Post #11 of 20 (108 views)
Shortcut
We certainly knew what the movie was. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't understand your statement. Do you think extras/background artists are hired to work on some anonymous movie and told nothing.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Oct 19 2013, 12:10am

Post #12 of 20 (103 views)
Shortcut
Back in those day [In reply to] Can't Post

When this segment of the movies was filming, it was still believed that there would be only two films. The segment filmed was definitely destined for the then second film. Since the move into three, there is no way to know what fits where.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Oct 19 2013, 12:13am

Post #13 of 20 (97 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you SL and everybody else who said "thanks" and appreciated the first piece. I am disappointed that it doesn't contain photos yet. I think it would read better with those images. I DO appreciate all of you making comments and reading. I hope I can live up to your expectations.

Many of you will not know me now, but these boards were definitely my first social experience on TORn and one of my first social experiences on the internet. To me, y'all are still family. Cool

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 19 2013, 1:20am

Post #14 of 20 (95 views)
Shortcut
"Background artist"! I do like that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Mr Cere, for an exciting first report - these little details, and the voices of those involved in them, bring the movies all the more "alive"! Cool

And somehow, it reminds me of Frodo's visit to Lorien, and the clarity he experienced there...Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 19 2013, 2:34am

Post #15 of 20 (89 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the cool report! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey MrCere, glad you had a good time! Thanks for giving us an inside look at the film, It made me appreciate extras (and journalists) more.

...a far green country under a swift sunrise. As the ship approached the edge of the world and the undying lands came into view, Frodo could not help but wonder: "How long? How long? How long to the Point of Know Return?

patrickk
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 6:42am

Post #16 of 20 (77 views)
Shortcut
It could be either movie two or theee [In reply to] Can't Post

The main cast do not know where the break (between DOS and TABA) is and have said so (e,g Cate Blanchett) , so why would the extras be told. They weren't told it was a dragon attacking but something big like an aeroplane, so given this why would they be told which of the two possible film it is. My point is that this is not clue it is in DOS. Do not assume extras are told what movie they are doing as they are can be a big source of clues despite their confidentiality agreements.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 19 2013, 6:59am

Post #17 of 20 (76 views)
Shortcut
We'll be happy to see those photos [In reply to] Can't Post

whenever you can post them!

Many of you will not know me now, but these boards were definitely my first social experience on TORn and one of my first social experiences on the internet. To me, y'all are still family.

This is true for me as well. I hope to cross paths with you again someday. Smile

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 7:53am

Post #18 of 20 (70 views)
Shortcut
You could have made it clearer...... [In reply to] Can't Post

that you meant Dos or TABA.

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 8:01am

Post #19 of 20 (70 views)
Shortcut
I think this comment from the Homepage reaction to the OP of MrCere's article is worthy of a repost. [In reply to] Can't Post

MattKJ • a day ago

I was an Elf extra in The Lord of the Rings. I was in the Prologue scenes, the opening sequences of The Fellowship of the Ring and in Helm's Deep. Everyone, from the extras to the crew to the Weta Workship teams to the make-up artists to the production office staff felt that we had to give beyond 100%: this was New Zealand's chance to shine and we knew we had one shot at it. The work people put into those films was phenomenal. It was a fantastic experience too; I was on set with Viggo Mortensen (who hand wrote and posted letters to 200 extras, including myself, thanking them for their work), Orlando Bloom, Bernard Hill and Hugo Weaving (whom I got to meet - really decent bloke; VERY tall). I am glad that The Hobbit films have given others a chance to enjoy the wonderful experience and have something that they can tell the kids (plus I get to "freeze frame" on the one scene in The Two Towers where my face is seen).
The incredible thing about is that a number of us, including myself, went on to make short and feature films for ourselves. Some have been successful, others not so much, but we found the experience something that changed our lives.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 19 2013, 3:42pm

Post #20 of 20 (63 views)
Shortcut
"life changing" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
MattKJ • a day ago

I was an Elf extra in The Lord of the Rings. I was in the Prologue scenes, the opening sequences of The Fellowship of the Ring and in Helm's Deep. Everyone, from the extras to the crew to the Weta Workship teams to the make-up artists to the production office staff felt that we had to give beyond 100%: this was New Zealand's chance to shine and we knew we had one shot at it. The work people put into those films was phenomenal. It was a fantastic experience too; I was on set with Viggo Mortensen (who hand wrote and posted letters to 200 extras, including myself, thanking them for their work), Orlando Bloom, Bernard Hill and Hugo Weaving (whom I got to meet - really decent bloke; VERY tall). I am glad that The Hobbit films have given others a chance to enjoy the wonderful experience and have something that they can tell the kids (plus I get to "freeze frame" on the one scene in The Two Towers where my face is seen).
The incredible thing about is that a number of us, including myself, went on to make short and feature films for ourselves. Some have been successful, others not so much, but we found the experience something that changed our lives.

Yes, it would be. When the literature that you already love comes alive in the hands of such talented yet genuine people - life changing. Excellent choice of words. Angelic

(I hadn't seen this comment - thanks for putting it here Moahunter.)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.