Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - October 17

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2013, 9:05am

Post #1 of 3 (123 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 17 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 17, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company searches for the Hidden Door.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth) Search for the Hidden Door
..."...day by day they toiled in parties searching for paths of the mountain-side, if the map was true, somewhere high above the cliff at the valley's head must stand the secret door. Day by day they came back to their camp without success."

Pre-October 18, 3018 (S.R.1418)
1. From Flight to the Ford: is a precursor to October 18 extended post
...As quickly as they could they scrambled off the beaten way... ...until they peered out from among the bushes [and] they could see the Road... ...some thirty feet below them. The sound of hoofs drew nearer. They were going fast, with a light clippety-clippety-clip. Then faintly, as if it was blown away from them by the breeze, they seemed to catch a dim ringing, as of small bells tinkling.
...'That does not sound like a Black Rider's horse!' said Frodo, listening intently. The other hobbits agreed hopefully that it did not... ...They had been in fear of pursuit for so long that any sound from behind seemed ominous and unfriendly. But Strider was now leaning forward, stooped to the ground, with a hand to his ear, and a look of joy on his face.
...The light faded... ...Clearer and nearer now the bells jingled, and clippety-clip came the quick trotting feet. Suddenly into view below came a white horse, gleaming in the shadows, running swiftly. In the dusk its headstall flickered and flashed, as if it were studded with gems like living stars the rider's cloak streamed behind him, and his hood was thrown back; his golden hair flowed shimmering in the wind of his speed. To Frodo it appeared that a white light was shining through the form and raiment of the rider, as if through a thin veil.
...Strider sprang from hiding... ...leaping with a cry through the heather; but even before he had moved or called, the rider had reined his horse and halted, looking up towards the thicket where they stood. When he saw Strider, he dismounted and ran to meet him calling out: "Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!" His speech and clear ringing voice left no doubt in their hearts: the rider was of the Elven-folk... ...But there seemed to be a note of haste or fear in his call, and they saw that he was now speaking quickly and urgently to Strider.
...Soon Strider beckoned to them, and the hobbits left the bushes and hurried down to the road. 'This is Glorfindel, who dwells in the house of Elrond...'"

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 18 2013, 10:19am

Post #2 of 3 (59 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 18, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo, Fili and Kili find the Hidden Door
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...at last unexpectedly they found what they were seeking. Fili and Kili and the hobbit went back one day down the valley and scrambled among the tumbled rocks at its southern corner. About midday, creeping behind a great stone that stood alone like a pillar, Bilbo came on what looked like rough steps going upwards. Following these excitedly, he and the dwarves found traces of a narrow track... ...that wandered on to the top of the southern ridge and brought them at last to a still narrower ledge, which turned north across the face of the Mountain. Looking down they saw that they were at the top of the cliff at the valley's head and were gazing down on to their own camp below. Silently, clinging to the rocky wall on their right, they went in single file along the ledge, till ... ...they turned into a little steep-walled bay, grassy-floored, still and quiet. Its entrance which they had found could not be seen from below because of the overhang of the cliff, nor from further off because it was so small that it looked like a dark crack and no more. It was not a cave and was open to the sky above; but at its inner end a flat wall rose up that in the lower part, close to the ground, was as smooth and upright as mason's work, but without a joint or crevice to be seen. No sign was there of... ...threshold, nor any sign of bar or bolt or key-hole; yet they did not doubt that they had found the door at last.
...They beat on it, they thrust and pushed at it, they implored it to move, they spoke fragments of broken spells of opening, and nothing stirred. At last tired out they rested on the grass at its feet, and then at evening began their long climb down."

October 18, 3018 (S.R. 1418) [continued]
1. Glorfindel finds Frodo at dusk.
(from the appendices)
..."'Hail, and well met at last!' said the Elf-lord to Frodo. 'I was sent from Rivendell to look for you. We feared that you were in danger upon the road.'
...'Then Gandalf has reached Rivendell?' cried Frodo joyfully.
...'No. He had not when I departed; but that was nine days ago,' answered Glorfindel.... '...today I marked where you descended from the hills again. But come! There is no time for further news. Since you are here we must risk the peril of the Road and go. There are five behind us, and when they find your trail ... ...they will ride after us like the wind. And they are not all. Where the other four may be, I do not know. I fear that we may find the Ford is already held against us.'
...While Glorfindel was speaking the shades of evening deepened. Frodo felt a great weariness come over him. Ever since the sun began to sink the mist before his eyes had darkened, and he felt that a shadow was coming between him and the faces of his friends. Now pain assailed him, and he felt cold. He swayed, clutching at Sam's arm.
...'My master is sick and wounded,' said Sam angrily. 'He can't go on riding after nightfall....'
...Glorfindel caught Frodo as he sank to the ground, and taking him gently in his arms he looked in his face with grave anxiety.
...Briefly Strider told of the attack on their camp under Weathertop, and of the deadly knife. He drew out the hilt... ...and handed it to the Elf. Glorfindel shuddered as he took it, but he looked intently at it.
...'There are evil things written on this hilt,' he said; 'though maybe your eyes cannot see them. Keep it, Aragorn, till we reach the house of Elrond! But be wary, and handle it as little as you may! Alas! the wounds of this weapon are beyond my skill to heal. I will do what I can—but all the more do I urge you now to go on without rest.'
...He searched the wound on Frodo's shoulder with his fingers, and his face grew graver, as if what he learned disquieted him. But Frodo felt the chill lessen in his side and arm; and a little warmth crept down from his shoulder to his hand, and the pain grew easier. The dusk of evening seemed to grow lighter about him, as if a cloud had been withdrawn. He saw his friends' faces more clearly again, and a measure of new hope and strength returned.
...'You shall ride my horse... ...I will shorten the stirrups up to the saddle-skirts, and you must sit as tight as you can. But you need not fear: my horse will not let any rider fall that I command him to bear.'"

2. Gandalf reaches Rivendell.
(from the appendices)
..."'I reached here at last by a long hard road, up the Hoarwell and through the Ettenmoors... ...It took me nearly fourteen days from Weathertop for I could not ride among the rocks of the troll-fells, and Shadowfax departed. I sent him back to his master; but a great friendship has grown between us, and if I have need he will come at my call. But so it was that I came to Rivendell only three days before the Ring, and news of its peril had already been brought here—which proved well indeed.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 19 2013, 10:37am

Post #3 of 3 (95 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

October 19, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The camp is moved to the hidden bay.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Bilbo found sitting on the doorstep lonesome and wearisome—there was not a doorstep, of course, really, but they used to call the little grassy space between the wall and the opening the "doorstep" in fun, remembering Bilbo's words long ago at the unexpected party in his hobbit-hole, when he said they could sit on the doorstep till they thought of something...
......Their spirits had risen a little at the discovery of the path, but now they sank into their boots; and yet they would not give it up and go away. The hobbit was no longer much brighter than the dwarves. He would do nothing but sit with his back to the rock-face and stare away west through the opening,... ...If the dwarves asked him what he was doing he answered:
..."You said sitting on the doorstep and thinking would be my job, not to mention getting inside, so I am sitting and thinking." But I am afraid he was not thinking much of the job, but of what lay beyond the blue distance, the quiet Western Land and the Hill and his hobbit-hole under it."

October 19, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Glorfindel leads the Company towards the Ford of Bruinen.
(not from the appendices)
..."There was neither star nor moon. Not until the grey of dawn did he allow them to halt. Pippin, Merry, and Sam were by that time nearly asleep on their stumbling legs; and even Strider seemed by the sag of his shoulders to be weary. Frodo sat upon the horse in a dark dream.
...They cast themselves down in the heather a few yards from the road-side, and fell asleep immediately. They seemed hardly to have closed their eyes when Glorfindel, who had set himself to watch while they slept, awoke them again....
...'...Drink this!' said Glorfindel to them, pouring for each in turn a little liquor from his silver-studded flask of leather. It was clear as spring water and had no taste, and it did not feel either cool or warm in the mouth; but strength and vigour seemed to flow into all their limbs as they drank it. Eaten after that draught the stale bread and dried fruit (which was now all that they had left) seemed to satisfy their hunger better than many a good breakfast in the Shire had done.

......the Road bent right and ran down towards the bottom of the valley, now making straight for the Bruinen... ...there had been no sign or sound of pursuit that the hobbits could see or hear; but often Glorfindel would halt and listen for a moment, if they lagged behind, and a look of anxiety clouded his face. Once or twice he spoke to Strider in the elf-tongue.
...But however anxious their guides might be, it was plain that the hobbits could go no further that night. They were stumbling along dizzy with weariness... ...Frodo's pain had redoubled, and during the day things about him faded to shadows of ghostly grey. He almost welcomed the company of night, for then the world seemed less pale and empty."

2. Gandalf waits for word of the company in Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...In all his long years the wizard has never felt so helpless. He knew time was running out and the delays that separated him from Frodo while Black Riders hunted him in the wild could spell doom for the hobbit and all of Middle-earth. His only hope rested on his faith in Aragorn. Fear was ever in his heart as he brooded over the fate of the travellers.

October 19, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Discussions in the Dragon and over neighbor's hedges grew about the disappearance of Frodo Baggins. ..."He's off again for goodness knows how long this time. It's a wonder where he's gone to and who he's keepin' company with! Leastways that Sam had the good sense to stay put and tend to more important things. Finally learnt his lesson about crossin' the borders, it seems."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.