Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Galadriel and Gandalf the White

Yngwulff
Gondor

Oct 12 2013, 8:35am

Post #1 of 10 (796 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel and Gandalf the White Can't Post

Do you think Galadriel may have seen Gandalf in the white garb in her mirror prior to the events in AUJ, thus her deference to him over Saruman???

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 12 2013, 9:29am

Post #2 of 10 (350 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

We do not know for sure. It is possible. However, Galadriel has always been good with getting vibes from other people. He distrusted Sauron who was in disguise, and Saruman, after he fell from grace, knew that Galadriel never liked him from the start and told Gandalf as a parting shot that she never liked him, and always plotted for Gandalf.

GOM

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 9:31am

Post #3 of 10 (346 views)
Shortcut
I think she sensed in him, as Cirdan did, a greater wisdom and a greater majesty that was veiled and [In reply to] Can't Post

less desirous of being praised or adulated, or even acknowledged on account of that hidden greatness, whereas Saruman was already proud and overconcerned with his own station, despite still being of goodwill and generally well meaning.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 10:58am

Post #4 of 10 (320 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it. I think she is simply wise enough to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. the strength behind Gandalf's humility and the danger in Saruman's pride.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Oct 12 2013, 2:25pm

Post #5 of 10 (280 views)
Shortcut
How About this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently when Gandalf came to Middle Earth he carried with him the Elessar Stone. He gave this to Galadriel. This was the green jewel she eventually gave to Aragorn as a sign that he was king. This stone has an interesting history. My guess is that Gandalf always intended to align himself with the powerful elves still in Middle Earth. You notice that Saruman didn't really do this. He was a loner. BUt Gandalf recognized that he needed the help of others and sought it out.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 8:10pm

Post #6 of 10 (229 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE that scene with Gandalf and Galadriel. However, Saruman was not so much a loner [In reply to] Can't Post

as proud. It wasn't that he wasn't aligned with The Elves, but he went more among men, who were more likely to be more fully awed by his talents and skill (and daunted by his longevity and power).

In Reply To
Apparently when Gandalf came to Middle Earth he carried with him the Elessar Stone. He gave this to Galadriel. This was the green jewel she eventually gave to Aragorn as a sign that he was king. This stone has an interesting history. My guess is that Gandalf always intended to align himself with the powerful elves still in Middle Earth. You notice that Saruman didn't really do this. He was a loner. BUt Gandalf recognized that he needed the help of others and sought it out.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 13 2013, 5:52am

Post #7 of 10 (147 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

but she sensed Gandalf's inner strenght and wisdom. I like it how they portrayed their relationship in AUJ but it is a shame that those two characters never
met and talk in the LOTR because it would be very nice and we could also learn about what she thought of Sarumans betrayal.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2013, 7:10am

Post #8 of 10 (140 views)
Shortcut
G&G [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Galadriel surely are reunited in the movies at the Gray Havens to board the boat Into the West. After thinking Gandalf was dead, it is comforting that she was able to sail with him (and Elrond and Bilbo).

Elizabeth
Valinor

Oct 13 2013, 7:47am

Post #9 of 10 (129 views)
Shortcut
She saw the resurrected Gandalf before Aragorn et al. [In reply to] Can't Post

She is the one who sent the eagles, who took him to Lorien where she presumably gave him his white robes and new staff, as well as messages to the company.

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 13 2013, 10:53am

Post #10 of 10 (119 views)
Shortcut
She might have, but I think her preference was based purely on intuition [In reply to] Can't Post

She seems to have a particular talent for judging everyone's character, and to see in them the potential to either good or evil.

Cirdan also saw this in Gandalf. He could have given his ring to Saruman who arrived first, but it was Gandalf who he saw would put it to best use.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.