Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
COMBAT...That's Where IT's... AT!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 2:41am

Post #1 of 12 (574 views)
Shortcut
COMBAT...That's Where IT's... AT! Can't Post

They didn't HIRE Bob Anderson for Nothing...
Swords & WAR, is the Story.

How many Encounters
were in PJ's Movies.,.

COUNTLESS!

In the MOST
CREATIVE
Wayzz!

A Sword Fight in the Name of Freedom?
Oh! YES Bomby can get behind THAT!

They don't call it
"Swords & Sorcerey" Fiction for nothing..
& WE Know him,
who invented it 75 Years ago....

"the Length of Tolkien's ARM has grown Large!
Indeed."

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2013, 4:19am

Post #2 of 12 (273 views)
Shortcut
I want to [In reply to] Can't Post

kneel and genuflect just hearing the name Bob Anderson. And I'm not even Catholic.

Aure entuluva!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 12:57pm

Post #3 of 12 (190 views)
Shortcut
J.R.R. Tolkien was also Robert E. Howard?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They don't call it
& WE Know him,

Indeed."

I can't say that I've ever included any of Tolkien's writings under the category of Swords & Sorcery. While The Hobbit might fit comfortably under the label of Fairy Tale, I consider The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion to be High Fantasy (or Romance Fantasy?), whereas Conan the Cimmerian, King Kull, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and the other inhabitants of the sub-genre Swords & Sorcery to be Low Fantasy.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 1:24pm

Post #4 of 12 (173 views)
Shortcut
O-s, maybe YES, maybe NO? [In reply to] Can't Post

Potential writers of Fantasy,
look to JRRT for inspiration..
so many have...
and an ENTIRE
Industry was born
from HIM!

Some took the High Road,
Some took the low road.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Oct 12 2013, 1:38pm

Post #5 of 12 (170 views)
Shortcut
Low vs High Fantasy [In reply to] Can't Post

The distinguishing factors are based on semblance to our reality. Low fantasy has magical or unexplainable elements but set within the typical world we know. High fantasy takes place in a secondary world full of different but coherent laws either outside or within our own logical world. Sometimes the distinction is superficial and may depend on the level of magic and fantastical elements found in the fictional setting.

Tolkien vehemently opposed the idea that Middle Earth was a world different from ours just set in the far past, however we know that he was somewhat deluded in his ideas on allegory and different art media such as movies. Sword and Sorcery has many fantasy elements but if the world is less fantastic or common then it is low fantasy, if it has magical beings such as dragons, vampires, and trolls within a world with different laws of physics governed by magic then it would be considered High fantasy.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 2:06pm

Post #6 of 12 (160 views)
Shortcut
YES! it is a Strange Nebulous Border? [In reply to] Can't Post

That anyone would Consider
A STATE of
High or Low
Fantasy...

Bomby doesn't know?
Where that Border on the Horizon is is is is ..

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 12 2013, 2:11pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 6:56pm

Post #7 of 12 (135 views)
Shortcut
Sword & Sorcery [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, my usage of "low fantasy" is derived more from fantasy gaming tradition than from literary conventions. Odd, because I grew up with associating the phrase with the sword & sorcery genre. Still, I can see how it can be equally applied to works such as Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and the type of supernatural horror usually found in the books and stories of H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, etc.

Nonetheless, I can't lump sword & sorcery tales together with the type of epic, high fantasy typical of Tolkien, Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain, Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea, and the like. The heroic fantasy protagonists of sword and sorcery are more earthy than most high fantasy heroes-eschewing lofty goals for drinking, wenching and high adventure, where gold and treasure is a stronger motivation than saving the world.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 7:31pm

Post #8 of 12 (126 views)
Shortcut
Likely a Generation Gap GOing on? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby was born in 1950
O-s was born in 1960?

Bomby Explored Shangi-La ("Lost Horizon" book& film)
other works, etc.
BUT @ 16 years old in 1966?

Those Paperback books were EXACTLY
what a confused TeenAGER needed to

..."Hinge His Reality"

to ....for 45 years
it's has been
a Hobby of
Bomby's
since MiddleEarth is Much like Colorado

Unlikly that some would Understand
THAT?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 12 (120 views)
Shortcut
Well, roughly half a generation... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bomby was born in 1950
O-s was born in 1960?

Exactly right. Except for paperback reissues of a lot of pulp-era material, there wasn't a lot of "low fantasy" being published during my childhood until Stephen King came along. The main exceptions being from the Science Fiction Book Club. Strangely, my first experience of Lovecraft was a paperback collection of Mythos tales issued by Scholastic Books.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 8:04pm

Post #10 of 12 (131 views)
Shortcut
I HATE the term fantasy. Swords and Sorcery or Enchanted Realms is MUCH more appropriate. Or just generic Speculative Fiction. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantasy is an inch away from ridiculous dellusion, and in a universe of Dark Matter, Entanglement and possibly upwards of 11 dimensions, I just can't abide the scoffing.
Actually the "high" and "low" is more denoted by setting. Low tends not to be entirely set in the ancient and epic environment. Harry Potter is Low more so than Conan.

In Reply To

In Reply To
They don't call it
& WE Know him,

Indeed."

I can't say that I've ever included any of Tolkien's writings under the category of Swords & Sorcery. While The Hobbit might fit comfortably under the label of Fairy Tale, I consider The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion to be High Fantasy (or Romance Fantasy?), whereas Conan the Cimmerian, King Kull, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and the other inhabitants of the sub-genre Swords & Sorcery to be Low Fantasy.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Oct 12 2013, 8:05pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 13 2013, 3:57pm

Post #11 of 12 (84 views)
Shortcut
AO, Bomby is soo pleased we agree since [In reply to] Can't Post

You are held in High Respect in Bomby's Hobbit Hole.
And TORn is a much better place with you in it.

One Day Bomby will make it to Valinor,
and Bomby will be at your service!

Lets make a date to have a Sword Fight!
Bomby will LET ??
you WIN!

Namarie'

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 13 2013, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 12 (61 views)
Shortcut
Ample appreciation to you, good forest Master. [In reply to] Can't Post

That respect and admiration is deeply appreciated, and mirrored in return.

Smile

In a time far off by count of Men but not far in The Great Accounting, may we meet on the blessed shores of Aman.

Namarie`

In Reply To
You are held in High Respect in Bomby's Hobbit Hole.
And TORn is a much better place with you in it.

One Day Bomby will make it to Valinor,
and Bomby will be at your service!

Lets make a date to have a Sword Fight!
Bomby will LET ??
you WIN!

Namarie'

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.