Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Orlando Bloom on Legolas / Tauriel
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 7:51pm

Post #26 of 33 (327 views)
Shortcut
I like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Adanel
The Shire

Oct 11 2013, 7:52pm

Post #27 of 33 (332 views)
Shortcut
I think they were in Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

Fighting Saurons forces there. Didn't Celeborn and Thranduil meet up and divide the Greenwood between them? Legolas and Gimli do have a discussion at some point as to why their people cant help them.

When given time there are actually heaps of plausible reasons you could come up with why Tauriel is absent but you need something simple and obvious so people new to the LOTR movies don't become distracted from that story trying to figure it out IMO.

Also it would seem odd to me why Legolas never mentions he left someone back home, especially when Aragorn is spending time moping about Arwen , you'd expect he might bring it up. Then it gets even more bizaare after the ring war when he packs up and moves to Ithilien to be close to Aragorn and spends most of his time tripping round middle earth with Gimli. Unless she dumped him of course, or the whole romance thing just didnt work out!

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 7:56pm

Post #28 of 33 (332 views)
Shortcut
Well, Legolas really didn't say very much in the movies anyways [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

(This post was edited by Imladris18 on Oct 11 2013, 7:57pm)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 9:06pm

Post #29 of 33 (289 views)
Shortcut
As I mentioned in another thread [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone who drinks expensive wine not intended for them, while on duty, and as a result gets drunk and passes out, enabling 13 important prisoners to escape from the dungeons - is going to be sacked, demoted or at the very least, moved into a desk job where they can do less harm. That is what will inevitably happen to the Captain of the Guard, and is why she does not appear again.

----------------

3 more posts?? I've lost count.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 12 2013, 12:13am

Post #30 of 33 (262 views)
Shortcut
We are not thinking as the Eldar [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see a need to kill Tauriel off and I see no need to rush any romance. I think that is what Orlando was hinting at. We are thinking as mortals with a short life span.
If you read the HOME series and other tales Tolkien points out the differences between each race and how romance is different.
In the Laws and Customs of the Elder (Morgoth's Ring) Tolkien gives us some insight on love, marriage, sex, children, death and rebirth. The eldar, immortal, had no need to rush marriage, romance, or weddings. Some were betrothed for long periods of time. Legolas and Tauriel have no need to rush a romance...they have forever. It does not need to be a focus for them and can easily take a backseat considering all that is going on around them.
Tolkien made it very clear that the Eldar had children and wed in times of peace. He supported that with three examples. 1) Nimrodel - Amroth was taking her to Valinor so they could wed. 2) I forgot the names but it was the only male elf who fell in love with a mortal woman - they did not wed because it was a time of war. 3)Arwen - again she could not wed until peace and Aragorn was made King. (Tauriel could be based on either of these women)
Tolkien also made it clear that while woman could fight, most of the time they didn't. Those who give life - women and healers - didn't take life on a regular basis. (yes yes there were exceptions - Elrond) So that would make it hard for Tauriel to marry and have kids AND still be the captain of the guard. Maybe she took an oath that she would not wed when she became a captain?? who knows...but it would make some sense...why would you make someone your top person if you can't depend on them being around for awhile?!?
So my take:
Legolas has developed feelings for Tauriel.
She may have feelings for him...may not....I think she does.... keeps it secrete... maybe due to her guard status??....
They both don't act on it and it never comes full circle because war is coming...they both know any marriage is off due to war regardless of their feelings...so they put it on the back burner...Legolas goes to Rivendale...joins to fellowship to end the war...Tauriel stays behind because she is the captain of the guard and they have their own forces to battle...once peace is in the land they can hook up...or not...
No need for any death...they have an immortal life and they have no need to rush any romance or wedding..they can afford to wait...100 years or 10,0000 if needed...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2013, 3:19am

Post #31 of 33 (219 views)
Shortcut
you are thinking of... [In reply to] Can't Post

[dragonrnbw]
I forgot the names but it was the only male elf who fell in love with a mortal woman - they did not wed because it was a time of war.
[/dragonrnbw]

you are thinking of aegnor (the male elf) and andreth (the female edain).

also to add.... great post. you did a fine job of referencing how tolkien generally viewed elves, and the males (neri) and females (nissi) of the eldar. tolkien emphatically writes about their equality, both in the social sphere and general talents. he did write that more nissi chose to be healers and generally found that calling incompatible with one of death-taking (warriors), but it did not automatically preclude it. it just was a general tendency.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 13 2013, 6:35am

Post #32 of 33 (158 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't seem over the top to me [In reply to] Can't Post

for some romance / affection / attraction to exist between Legolas and Tauriel. I don't want to see this become the major driving force of their story or the plot of DOS because it pulls people out of the main threads involving Thranduil, the dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf.

But it seems like a very non-stretch for such sentiments to exist - especially in a non-overt way. In fact I would find it very natural and believable for something like this to develop between the likes of such characters over time.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2013, 6:32pm

Post #33 of 33 (82 views)
Shortcut
Nice *Mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Great insight. We 'humanize' a lot of these characters,(and understandably so), but of teen we forget they are NOT human. I find that even cultural differences can make history seem a little weird until explained.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.