Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2013, 3:49am

Post #1 of 6 (261 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Just a quick fly-by here to get our thread going: How go the journeys? Whither have your feet/wheels/fins trod/rolled/swum this week on Earth, and where have they brought you in Middle Earth? Do tell!

RL got hectic for me the past couple weeks, but tomorrow seems calmer (at the moment...Crazy) so I hope to catch up Beamer's and my miles then.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 6 (129 views)
Shortcut
Some fun miles [In reply to] Can't Post

I have 122.34 miles to report since I last checked in, for a total of 691.63 on this part of my journey. This puts me just starting the 4th day of Bilbo and Co.'s long, dark and weary journey through Mirkwood. I'm not looking forward to spiders.

Part of my miles last weekend were hiked in the dark, though. I was on a scout camp weekend, one designed for adult leaders to recharge and learn new things, and I was the leader of the night hikes on Friday evening. I had carefully hiked and scouted some broad, even, well-groomed trails through forest and field while it was still light, and then at 9:00 led a group of 25 or so off into the dark for an adventure with flashlights strictly forbidden. We did fun in-the-dark-activities, designed to teach about sensory adaptation, that they could do with the their troops at campouts in the future. However, I underestimated how really, really, REALLY dark it is in the woods at night, with no moon or stars. We felt our way along the trail with our feet, we watched overhead for the sky-river that helped us know we were still on the path, and I missed a turnoff in the dark and ended up on a path where I knew (but they didn't) that I had no idea where we were, where we were going, or what was ahead. Fortunately, getting back wasn't any more difficult than turning around and retracing steps after the activities were finished, and nobody was the wiser. As a matter of fact, I got high marks on my evaluations for "was the facilitator prepared?" And at 10:00, I led the second group along exactly the same path, missed the same turn, and ended up in the same place. 10 miles for that evening, between all three hikes, and another 3.6 the next morning trying to figure out what the heck I had done wrong. (Not all those who wander are lost, eh? I was!)

More than once, I thought of Frodo and friends, enjoying walking in the dark of the Shire at the beginning of their quest, unsure of what was ahead, but on the whole unconcerned about any danger and occupying themselves with trail snacks, quiet songs and jests. Looking forward to the Golden Perch, perhaps, and content with each others' company. What a beautiful night it was!

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

(This post was edited by FantasyFan on Oct 11 2013, 5:06pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2013, 12:23pm

Post #3 of 6 (116 views)
Shortcut
Zoooommmm! Thar she goes!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Howdy All

I'm still working on the roof of my garage... making it way more complicated than I need to. I'll be writing up a story of my mini-quest, but I'm having fun working around 6 different kinds of singles... I mean, 7 different kinds now ;) PICS TO COME!

In the meanwhile, I've been stacking up the miles as I spend HOURS hauling and planting shingles, wood and nails. I'm racing the cold weather promising to move in by next weekend, so I'm outta here to go hammer some more!

I hope everyone is having a great week/weekend and gathering miles as they go :)

Miles covered in 2 weeks: 103 miles (58 on 10/3 & 45 on 10/10)
Cumulated miles: 2614
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2013, 12:27pm

Post #4 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahaha! How appropriate you're entering Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

After the crazy episode you had! That was so scary and such a great adventure! You will ALWAYS remember this one... but you did a great job of bringing the troops home safe and sound ;) I wish I'd been there with you :D

GREAT MILEAGE you're getting there! WOW!

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Angharad73
Rohan

Oct 12 2013, 4:18pm

Post #5 of 6 (114 views)
Shortcut
It's getting colder... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and darker, especially in the mornings, which is when I usually go for a nice long walk. Ah well, it's autumn, after all, and walking in the forest is still very nice with all the new colours. Now, I just have to finally get someone to fix our heating system becasue I would like to turn the radiators back on.

My progress for the last two weeks: 77 miles
Cumulative miles: 1327
Challenge: There and Back Again

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Oct 12 2013, 10:33pm

Post #6 of 6 (230 views)
Shortcut
Vacation mles [In reply to] Can't Post

I have dozens of pictures from my week off last week. I'll have to spread them out over the Winter when things get slower. But I'll share two of my favorites.

Miles since last post: 26.33
This challenge: 338.08
Total miles: 418.18
Yet to go: 628.92

That officially get me to the Troll Hoard. Somewhat fitting as my first picture of mountains in the distance could pass for the Trollshaws.
Logan (left) and Pruitt (middle and right) Mountains six miles as the dragon flies from the top of Hughes Mountain where I got soaked taking this photo. (Did I mention how much it bugs me that they made Erebor visible from the Carrock at the end of AUJ? The curvature of Middle-Earth would have made that impossible, much less the atmospheric haze!)

And a free fish pedicure in Coonville Creek. I'll share the reason for that picture another time.

Good walking to you all!
Joe

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.