Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Localized Trailers

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 5:49pm

Post #1 of 16 (650 views)
Shortcut
Localized Trailers Can't Post

Are there any others out yet?

Here is - finally - the German one.

Usually I could care less, as I try to watch the OV when I go to the cinema here. However, I was wondering because usually the localized versions, at least the German ones, come out only hours after the English releases.

So hopefully the buzz will also kick in here soon :)

Though I do not like localization, this one is bearable. I thought Smaug would be a catastrophe, but is at least tolerable.

Maybe someone here is also interested in our characters speaking German ;)

http://www.stern.de/...tergeht-2063559.html

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 6:32pm

Post #2 of 16 (279 views)
Shortcut
I just came back from work to show it to you [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you found it also.

Yeah... Smaug was ok. But I still don't like Bilbo and Thranduil... well I have to see more. But I have to watch it in English.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 6:34pm

Post #3 of 16 (257 views)
Shortcut
Thanks you thought of me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will certainly see it in English at first as well... Maybe later in German with my dad over Christmas.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 9:55pm

Post #4 of 16 (197 views)
Shortcut
Interesting and thank you, but...... [In reply to] Can't Post

to my ears everyone sounded as if they were in the same vocal range, not very distinguishable. So used to Richard Armitage's rich voice to me the Thorin dubbing was traumatic, for lack of a better word. Smaug was all right, at least they tried there.

Guess if I were in a country where I had to watch a dubbed English version of a film I'd be grateful - if I didn't speak the local language - so at least I could watch the film. But for DOS I think people will be missing a lot if they can't view it in English - if that's a typical example of what dubbed films are like. Remember watching clips of POTC that had been dubbed and some of those were just plain funny to my ears. Except for Gandalf and Smaug I wouldn't be able to tell who was talking in this version, everyone kind of sounded alike to me. Surprised, I thought companies tried harder when dubbing?

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 10:01pm

Post #5 of 16 (177 views)
Shortcut
They do try. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I am a big critic when it comes to the dubbing in Germany (I hope at some point Germans will start asking for more OV or at least only sub-titles), the quality cannot be described as anything other than high, usually. For cinema, that it. TV shows are often hard to endure, however.

Usually it is done by people with a lot of skills and training, often actors themselves.

The trailers, however, are usually done quite quickly, sometimes not even with the same lines that are used in the final translation.

Also remember that the "funny" and "alike" sound may also simply come from the fact that the language in itself sounds strange to your ears. But I agree that especially Thorin is done pretty rushed here... although the same actor, he used a much deeper voice in the dubbing of AUJ.

I do kind of like Smaug, however. But probably this is only because I feared for much much worse :D

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 10:09pm

Post #6 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Subtitles are a blessing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Sweden (and all of the other Nordic countries, I think) all foreign movies are kept in their original languages and instead of dubbing, subtitles are added. That way you can enjoy all of the original voices and you don't risk to miss out on anything dialogue-wise.

But if you're used to and have grown up with dubbed movies and TV-shows, then it's an entirely different matter of course. But I really like the concept of subtitles.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 8:31am

Post #7 of 16 (122 views)
Shortcut
German trailer in better quality: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu6Mm7s9Ic4

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 2:41pm

Post #8 of 16 (90 views)
Shortcut
Loved IT! HUTT...Bomby was born in Munich! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yet never got the Hang of German..
Moved to America at the age of 6 months.
(US Air Force Family)

But always LOVE the Intensity of their Language...
but putting the Verb last! in any sentence
always threw me.

Also assigning gender to inanimate objects?
Was hard.
Some of these Dubbed Voice overs are Ideal,
especially Gandalf.

The Hutt, you are tremendous asset to this site.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 2:45pm

Post #9 of 16 (84 views)
Shortcut
wish I had better ears [In reply to] Can't Post

"Also remember that the "funny" and "alike" sound may also simply come from the fact that the language in itself sounds strange to your ears."

True enough, and sadly for me as a big reader and fantasy book lover, I've no natural ear for music or languages. Nevertheless do love a fabulous male voice like James Earl Jones', so an unexpected pleasure of the Hobbit for me has been the triple "barrage" of Armitage, McKellan, and now Cumberbatch. It's a veritable gourmet vocal fest.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 3:05pm

Post #10 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
How will they dub the Elvish? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've ever seen how this was done in the German dubbed versions of The Hobbit or LOTR. When Tauriel revives a dying Laketown girl with a "liquid burst of elvish", will it still be Evangeline's voice?

Some things will sound proper in German...Stephen Fry will be the Bürgermeister... but Tauriel will be the "Anführerin der Waldland-Schutztruppe" ! Does that sound Elvish??

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 3:20pm

Post #11 of 16 (83 views)
Shortcut
I guess they get the... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Elvish sentences from the studio, because they are spoken by the dubbing people in correct Elvish. So it would not be Lilly's voice.

Schutztruppe would sound pretty wrong, but usually there are many words in German for one meaning so it isn't that hard to find an appropriate one.

There are even very few cases that I think sound better in German than in English, especially das Auenland.

What was a true shame in LotR was that they pronounced the th in Elvish words as the German t, not realizing that this makes only sense for English words but not Elvish since Elvish is a whole other language, if this makes any sense.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 11 2013, 3:22pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 3:24pm

Post #12 of 16 (75 views)
Shortcut
As opposed to "Their tender voices like wind-shaken bells ".... [In reply to] Can't Post

....I guess they'll sound like an oompa band.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 9:23pm

Post #13 of 16 (52 views)
Shortcut
Yet better quality: [In reply to] Can't Post

Without the spam and watermarks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCHN_99-dOs

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 9:26pm

Post #14 of 16 (50 views)
Shortcut
Elvish in German dubs... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think I've ever seen how this was done in the German dubbed versions of The Hobbit or LOTR. When Tauriel revives a dying Laketown girl with a "liquid burst of elvish", will it still be Evangeline's voice?

Some things will sound proper in German...Stephen Fry will be the Bürgermeister... but Tauriel will be the "Anführerin der Waldland-Schutztruppe" ! Does that sound Elvish??

Sindarin was always dubbed by the same voice actors that provided the German dialogues. I.e., they learnt the Elvish dialogues and re-recorded them to avoid the voice change when switching languages.

Quenya, however, was kept in the original actor's voices (Saruman in FOTR, Radagast in AUJ).

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 10:21pm

Post #15 of 16 (49 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the use of subtitles [In reply to] Can't Post

I watch a lot of non-English dramas and much prefer them to be subtitled rather than dubbed. The dubbing never seems quite right, and having subtitles makes me really focus on the drama being shown without losing the quality of the actors' original voices. You have to keep your eye on the screen all the time to understand what's going on, so become immersed in what you are watching.

In Reply To
Here in Sweden (and all of the other Nordic countries, I think) all foreign movies are kept in their original languages and instead of dubbing, subtitles are added. That way you can enjoy all of the original voices and you don't risk to miss out on anything dialogue-wise.

But if you're used to and have grown up with dubbed movies and TV-shows, then it's an entirely different matter of course. But I really like the concept of subtitles.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 12 2013, 12:14pm

Post #16 of 16 (33 views)
Shortcut
Went to watch Gravity again yesterday in Germany... [In reply to] Can't Post

... wanted to catch it again in 3D on the big screen.

Still the old German trailer.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.