Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Well

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 14 2013, 8:26pm

Views: 43
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

1.]What did you think of the first scene with the new Bilbo?

Heís missing a bit of congeniality:

From the book:

ďAll of them at once,Ē said Bilbo. ďAnd a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and have a fill of mine! Thereís no hurry, we have all the day before us!Ē

For the book readers, was he as you imagined him from the book?

Who is this skinny young man? Hobbits are round. Like pie. And Bilbo is middle-aged. Like me.

I liked that despite his reservations, he made the decision to join the company (and I liked that he made the decision himself vs. being hustled out the door by Gandalf as in the book).

Agreed.

2) What do you like about Bilboís character?

His child-like innocence.

Dislike?

UmmmmÖ..

He's not the leading character in LOTR.

3) What was Bilboís most memorable moment for you in AUJ?

ďLook, I know you doubt me, I know you always have. And youíre right, I often think of Bag End. I miss my books. And my armchair. And my garden. See, thatís where I belong. Thatís home. And thatís why I came back, cause you donít have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can.Ē

4) What do you think of Bilboís relationship with Gandalf?

The manipulative nature of Gandalf in their relationship seems more obvious in the film.

Thorin?

Thorinís friendship and respect is hard won, so it seems all the more real, and thus it will be all the more tragic in the betrayal of his trust.

The other dwarves?

There is definitely more interaction. There are advantages to filmís ability to show.

Riddles in the Dark was an iconic scene in the book, as well as the movie. This was our first chance to see Bilbo get into a situation that he had to get out of on his own as well.
5) What did you think of Bilbo in this scene, and his interaction with Gollum?

Thereís definitely a third person there. Lonely Smeagol seems pitiful in his desire for hobbity interaction. Gollum, of course, is focused on the literal meat of the matter.

In my opinion, Martin Freeman just *was* Bilbo as soon as we saw him. I canít imagine anyone else playing this role.

Iíll always be a big fan of William H. Macy.

6) What did you think of Martinís portrayal of Bilbo?

Unfortunately Martin Freeman often seemed to be playing Martin Freeman.

By the end of the movie, Bilbo had gone from meek Hobbit to one who jumped in to save Thorinís life.

Iíd always expected the first movie to end on that note. Kinda wish it had been after the spiders, though.

7) How do you hope to see Bilbo develop in the next 2 movies?

Iím interested to see how his childhood obsession with Elves changes when he has to live in secret among them. And how will he react to the Big Folk? And a main concern for Bilbo in the film seems to be tied to the concept of home, both his and othersí. How will he react when the quest results in the loss of homes by the people in Lake-Town? Will this be his motivation for the betrayal? I hope to see him take more of a leadership role. (Will this be the beginning of tension between him and Thorin?) I do expect him to be a bit more of an action oriented hobbit, though Iím definitely against him transforming into Bilbo Schwarzenbaggins!

Ultimately, of course, will be his loss of innocence, something Iíve always found very sad in the book.

8) Other thoughts on Bilboís characterization?

Freeman does do befuddlement well.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Subject User Time
Character of the Week: Bilbo Baggins Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 10 2013, 5:37pm
    OK, then Ė I'll start, but must be quick again. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 10 2013, 9:44pm
    Mr. Boggins! Eye's on Guard Send a private message to Eye's on Guard Oct 11 2013, 12:32am
    Mr. Baggins Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Oct 11 2013, 1:54am
    Need my own hobbit to hug Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 11 2013, 8:59pm
    Bilbo's character Kilidoescartwheels Send a private message to Kilidoescartwheels Oct 14 2013, 5:31pm
    Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 14 2013, 8:26pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.