Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
25 Lord of the Rings Tattoos you wish you had

demnation
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 6:57am

Post #1 of 16 (626 views)
Shortcut
25 Lord of the Rings Tattoos you wish you had Can't Post

http://www.buzzfeed.com/...;utm_medium=buzzfeed

Say what you will about our little saga of the jewels and the rings, but you can't deny it lends itself well to some beautiful artwork. (even when imprinted on peoples bodies!)

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 2:20pm

Post #2 of 16 (334 views)
Shortcut
interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

'tho i would not like to make close acquaintanceship with anyone so bedecked by symbols of evil -- the eye of sauron, fell beasts, nazgul, balrogs.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 2:42pm

Post #3 of 16 (329 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes- a bit creepy, even though the artwork is spectacular
I liked the one of the map of Middle-earth on a guy's back, but all the artwork was good. Just can't imagine wanting to have such things painted on me!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 2:57pm

Post #4 of 16 (318 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought about getting the JRRT done before as well as the ring verse.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Oct 10 2013, 3:23pm

Post #5 of 16 (316 views)
Shortcut
I loved this one [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly because of what the person posted about why she got it.

First tattoo! “Not all those who wander are lost.” transcribed in Tengwar, along with the heart my mum signs her letters with. And before someone snorts and says, “Cliche.”, let me explain you a thing. My love of Tolkien started in elementary school. By sixth grade, I’d read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings more than once, and my Mum got us out of school for a few days so we could go up to Buffalo to see Trilogy Tuesday. Everyone could understand being into Harry Potter then, the movies were just picking up and it was getting really popular, but not a lot of kids were into LotR, so it was a special thing for me and my family
As to the quote itself, in the original poem the line is in reference to the Rangers, of which Aragorn was leader until he joined the Fellowship and eventually took up his role as King. Rangers were suspiciously viewed as wanders and vagrants by those they protected from the evil forces of Middle Earth, and here they (and the quote) represent my favorite character type: the heroes no one knows to be heroes, or the heroes the general population doesn’t trust. Grey-area heroes.
I’m also finishing up college this year, and (hopefully) headed towards grad school next, but after this year my trajectory gets a bit… off.

“Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 10 2013, 4:38pm

Post #6 of 16 (320 views)
Shortcut
I've kept mine simple :) [In reply to] Can't Post

They're on my left wrist and hide neatly under my watchband. The m-e stand for Middle-earth AND is NZ in Quenya :)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 10 2013, 5:38pm

Post #7 of 16 (308 views)
Shortcut
Wait, really? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The m-e stand for Middle-earth AND is NZ in Quenya :)

Seriously? I didn't know that!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

imin
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 5:49pm

Post #8 of 16 (293 views)
Shortcut
Great artwork [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially number 20. though i would never have one done myself and don't think any of them look particularly good, but if they like them, then that's awesome and i hope they won't regret them later in life.

The best to me overall - probably number 2.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Tintallë
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 7:14pm

Post #9 of 16 (304 views)
Shortcut
This would seem to confirm me as NARF. [In reply to] Can't Post

although in my heart I know otherwise.

I'm a nurse. I can't count the number of patients who have expressed deep regret at having had themselves tattooed. I hope the guy with Mordor across his chest will still love it 30 years from now, but I have my doubts. I can also say without any doubt that tattoos can get pretty gnarly looking as one ages. I've thought long and hard about what I'd like but have never found anything I could be sure of liking for the rest of my life, although the seven stars, seven stones and one white tree comes pretty close considering I've been a Tolkien fan since (brace yourselves - I'm old!) 1968 when I received Fellowship as a Christmas present.

My husband of 20 years had my name tattoed on his arm, complete with hearts & flowers. Apparently wives 2 and 3 advocated its removal but he refused, which must have been awkward for them. Nothing like a reminder every time your husband takes off his shirt!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2013, 8:55pm

Post #10 of 16 (297 views)
Shortcut
The ONLY one I would consider [In reply to] Can't Post

is JRRT's initials like gramma has. I would probably do it on my wrist or ankle. But I'm not even close to getting one.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 10:35pm

Post #11 of 16 (280 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, not me either. [In reply to] Can't Post

I dislike the idea of a decoration you can't change your mind about. Which is kind of silly, really, since I've had pretty much the same hairstyle since 1963. But I do love doing henna tattoos and body painting. My husband once did a lovely thing on my neck and shoulders, like an Egyptian collar, that was a landscape with stars and moon over a green country. It was kind of Tolkien-y.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 12:07am

Post #12 of 16 (270 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, actually, I think gramma meant "in Tengwar script". But yes, those are Tengwar "N" and "Z" - which resemble our alphabet's "m" and "e"!

Coincidence? Or - was it "meant to be"?

Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 3:24pm

Post #13 of 16 (246 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes you have to stick with what works. [In reply to] Can't Post

Said by someone else who's worn her hair the same way for a long time. I have no desire to get any tatoo ever. I consider it self mutilation & I think most people will probably regret theirs eventually.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 3:24pm

Post #14 of 16 (248 views)
Shortcut
I have the white tree/seven stars [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only about two inches across, tattooed on my upper left arm, where even a short sleeve will hide it. I got it in Wellington in 2008 at the same shop where the nine Fellowship actors (well, eight actors and Brett Beatty) were tattooed.

I thought long and hard about this and finally decided to go ahead and do it, since I've loved Tolkien since the 60s, too. And when you do the math, you'll see that I'm already (brace yourself!) pretty far along in years. Crazy

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 4:44pm

Post #15 of 16 (241 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn's right! It's Quenya Tengwar script

I wanted something to commemorate my trip to NZ, and this made my eyes bug out when I saw how it cross-over BOTH of my favourite places :)

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

boldog
Rohan

Oct 15 2013, 8:23am

Post #16 of 16 (337 views)
Shortcut
Funny you mentioned this [In reply to] Can't Post

I only recently got a tattoo on my leg based on Tolkien,
I got AZOG tattooed so it looks like it is scribed into my skin. Kind of like what he did to thror, the only thing I don't think my family or my fiancé or many people will approve of a tattoo on my forehead.
I tried uploading pictures but it bloody aint working !!!!Mad

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.