Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo and the Ring

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Oct 8 2013, 3:22pm

Post #1 of 13 (638 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and the Ring Can't Post

In the Trailer we see Bilbo holding the Ring and covering his mouth but what happened to give him this reaction? I think that the Ring slipped from his finger and when he touched it he caught a glimpse of The Eye Of Sauron like Gandalf did in FOTR what else could give him that reaction?

Long Hammer
The Shire

Oct 8 2013, 3:29pm

Post #2 of 13 (378 views)
Shortcut
the eye wouldn't mean anything to him [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would he have a reaction to something he knows nothing of - and if he did see that when he touched the ring he would probably never touch it again.

I would suggest it is more of a feeling of relief. I think he truly feels the only way for him to survive the things he is getting into is that he can use the ring to avoid death. If he doesn't have the ring, he is doomed, but as you suggest he has lost it (I agree) and then finds it, he has just had the feeling that he can actually survive

Patty
Immortal

Oct 8 2013, 3:56pm

Post #3 of 13 (331 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this theory. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I notice that already he doesn't want to tell Gandalf that he has it. Well done.

Permanent address: Into the West

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 3:58pm

Post #4 of 13 (324 views)
Shortcut
But it would still be scary for him [In reply to] Can't Post

to see a flaming eye in a flash - no matter whether he knows what it is or not.

My thought was always that he was afraid of something he saw in connection with the Ring and therefore covered his mouth to avoid being heard my the spiders, perhaps.

What that might be exactly, I don't know but, as with many other questions, we'll just have to wait and see Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 8 2013, 4:07pm

Post #5 of 13 (330 views)
Shortcut
That is not well done [In reply to] Can't Post

but the result of Ring's infuence in my opinion. Bilbo has no reason to hide it from Gandalf, quite the contrary. I believe he would show the Ring to Gandalf in normal circumstances because he would be eager to know why can make him invisible and Gandalf is a wizard so he should have the answer for such things. No, I believe the Ring has already began his work in Bilbo's mind. Minor of course, but still.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 8 2013, 4:09pm

Post #6 of 13 (314 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree entirely. [In reply to] Can't Post

That PJ decided to write this into the storyline in this manner is what I meant by well done.

Permanent address: Into the West

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 8 2013, 4:56pm

Post #7 of 13 (288 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo is simply surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he will loose the ring during the Spider fight.

When he recognizes his lost he starts searching and it leads to a nearly freaked out chase for that stupid thing.
And when he finally finds it he is scared of himself 'cause he got so abscessed by that ring.

I think there will be no Sauron or at least the eye in that scene.
Just the worried poor Bilbo, who's becoming more and more addicted to TheOneRing®.

(This post was edited by Fleuz on Oct 8 2013, 4:57pm)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Oct 8 2013, 6:21pm

Post #8 of 13 (233 views)
Shortcut
mayb you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I think maybe you are right but the eye of Sauron could be used at some point maybe graffiti on a wall in Dol Guldur that Thrain drew

gliido
Bree

Oct 8 2013, 6:22pm

Post #9 of 13 (238 views)
Shortcut
Lost then found [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think he will loose the ring during the Spider fight.

When he recognizes his lost he starts searching and it leads to a nearly freaked out chase for that stupid thing.
And when he finally finds it he is scared of himself 'cause he got so abscessed by that ring.

I think there will be no Sauron or at least the eye in that scene.
Just the worried poor Bilbo, who's becoming more and more addicted to TheOneRing®.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 8:50pm

Post #10 of 13 (208 views)
Shortcut
Here's a Angle to think on.. [In reply to] Can't Post

What's Shown:

1. IN The Latest Trailer Bilbo is Jumped by a Spider..

2. He is shown to be Flipping down through the Branches.

3. Later is shown finding it on the Ground.

4. Reaction shot, with Hand over Mouth.

What is NOT shown?

a. TheONE Flying out of his pocket while he is Falling...
SO THIS Could be the Money Shot of the ONE
slowly falling with eerie Sauronmusic.

b. Bilbo lands, in Leaves,
checks his pocket?

c. Scambles around and then Finds it for the Second Time
(Quite similair to the First Movie.)

d. Then He knows the only way to survive and Rescue his friends
is the Put it ON...

EXAMPLE: TheONE Slowmotion Shots in the Prancing Pony
slowly flipping in the Air. & landing on Frodo's Finger

TheONE shot of it Again, flipping in Air and Landing on Bilbo's in Gollum's Cave.

ICONIC Shots
and Bomby
WANTZZ it.

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Oct 9 2013, 3:16am

Post #11 of 13 (137 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for pointing that out as I missed it [In reply to] Can't Post

Very consistent with Tolkien's writing on the effects of the ring on Bilbo.

One reason I like this site is finding incites from those sharper than I!

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Oct 9 2013, 8:20pm

Post #12 of 13 (84 views)
Shortcut
in one of the first AUJ trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of the first AUJ trailer (the teaser I think) we can see the previous moment of that scene. Bilbo is wondering around very cautiously and the camera go down revealing the ring is there on the floor.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

elentari3018
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 3:04am

Post #13 of 13 (72 views)
Shortcut
But in story verse it was written that Bilbo was reluctant to share all the details [In reply to] Can't Post

that is why his reaction to the Ring and that 1:17 scene of him not entirely being truthful to Gandalf makes sense. He didn't want to relay the whole truth of the Ring and i remember when he meets up with the dwarves after the Misty Mountains, he wants to give everyone a surprise that he is back. I do not think that he wants to tell Gandalf so therefore the scene of 1:17 of showing him hiding and him saying that he found his courage instead of the Ring.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.