just some comments about comments
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 8 2013, 11:40pm

Post #76 of 93 (1043 views)
Shortcut
yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

I truly don't understand how someone can make what they surely know is a provocative, snide, snarly, accusatory, etc. post and then call 'out of bounds' for any thing even approaching the same tone in response.

My thought lately has been about all the people "defending Tolkien" while using a completely aggressive and insulting tone. I wonder if they really believe Tolkien would approve of being defended in that manner. Especially when it's combined with poor spelling and grammar, lol.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 11:57pm

Post #77 of 93 (1029 views)
Shortcut
I just got done reading a long pun conversation, coincidentally enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're quite a hoot. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 11:58pm

Post #78 of 93 (1032 views)
Shortcut
*Mods Up Magpie* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I truly don't understand how someone can make what they surely know is a provocative, snide, snarly, accusatory, etc. post and then call 'out of bounds' for any thing even approaching the same tone in response.

My thought lately has been about all the people "defending Tolkien" while using a completely aggressive and insulting tone. I wonder if they really believe Tolkien would approve of being defended in that manner. Especially when it's combined with poor spelling and grammar, lol.

I have thought both these things.

The joy I take is that for every such person there are so many people here who are bright, eloquent, witty and kind here on TORn; which makes me feel like this *is* the place for those who love JRRT. (Confession: I lack useful comparative Internet context perhaps because I don't go anywhere else except e-bird. But that's a choice too, I suppose.)

So thanks to all of *you*.

CoolAngelic

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Oct 8 2013, 11:59pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 12:06am

Post #79 of 93 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Definitely. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The joy I take is that for every such person there are so many people here who are bright, eloquent, witty and kind here on TORn; which makes me feel like this *is* the place for those who love JRRT.

I try to lurk in the RR when my eyes need to go to another spot on the boards. It's a beautiful atmosphere in there, IMO. Listening (well, reading in this case) is very fun. I learn something new everyday from a poster there.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2013, 12:14am

Post #80 of 93 (1016 views)
Shortcut
imdb has a rep [In reply to] Can't Post

and you'll find the worst of the worst there. But there's a handful of good hearted, well spoken, well read Tolkien fans on the LOTR movie boards. They are great people. When I was signed out of TORn, oddly enough, I was having really satisfying conversation there.

There is almost no moderation so when someone wants to be trollish they gets to be. But there's an ignore button that works like magic.

The Hobbit movie boards, being more active, are more mixed.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 4:09am

Post #81 of 93 (992 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
The joy I take is that for every such person there are so many people here who are bright, eloquent, witty and kind here on TORn; which makes me feel like this *is* the place for those who love JRRT.

I try to lurk in the RR when my eyes need to go to another spot on the boards. It's a beautiful atmosphere in there, IMO. Listening (well, reading in this case) is very fun. I learn something new everyday from a poster there.

(and its nice knowing you stop in over there!) Cool (feel free to pull up a chair at the table some day too.)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 4:11am

Post #82 of 93 (992 views)
Shortcut
That's great Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

That you found a good-hearted bunch of Tolkien fans over there too.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 5:42am

Post #83 of 93 (982 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to doing so! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2013, 6:04am

Post #84 of 93 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Heh. [In reply to] Can't Post

"The way adults held discussions".. that's, like, adult situations, isn't it? Laugh

We Modar have to edit ourselves, as well as editing others (sometimes quite reluctantly). The snark I have had to edit out of my own posts before hitting the submit button could fill a book: a long and highly exasperated book. People have sometimes asked what it takes to be a Mod - and while we usually don't reply with "The ability to reply calmly and politely when all you really want to do is reach through your computer screen and whap someone upside the head", it ranks high on the list of qualifications. Tongue

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 6:20am

Post #85 of 93 (993 views)
Shortcut
Oh, let's have a mods' true confessions thread [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be so much fun! Cool
You start...

*ducks*

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2013, 10:13am

Post #86 of 93 (1000 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

So true! Laugh I'm afraid that my monitor has an indentation where I keep bumping my forehead against it...Tongue

Darkstone does have that special "touch" which is perfect for the situation, doesn't he! Evil (I love the "bunny"!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 9 2013, 1:34pm

Post #87 of 93 (997 views)
Shortcut
Love Calvin and Hobbes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, a modar's job is *extremely* difficult. and it unfortunately makes them a special target of trolls.

Trolls will often share a common outside forum where they can post and link to their "victories". One type of "victory" that earns bragging rights among trolls is getting a modar on another site to lose their cool. (Yes, they do keep count and post statistics.)

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2013, 3:33pm

Post #88 of 93 (970 views)
Shortcut
I can remember years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

posting a thread regarding Board Etiquette in the Reading Room because there was a feeling that newbies (like me at the time, and now again Sly) were stayed in lurking mode due to the level of discourse and the fact that some of the Tolkien defenders were very... uh... defensive. Now me, I had already jumped right in, as a Tolkien novice, and started asking questions and giving my insights as a first (or second) time only reader and a lover of the movies. I figured all I could offer was a fresh viewpoint from someone who was still looking at the forest and hadn't started naming the trees. My etiquette thread basically asked if those on the board were bothered by the Pippenish newbies.

The good Reverend kindly replied that he was glad to have new insight, hoped we learned something because he had and if he ever made someone feel unwelcome we were to feel free to make rude comments about his children. Laugh Now there was someone who had his head on straight.

I love this stuff, but geez, if it becomes so much a part of my life that I have to get nasty to defend a point (?!) then someone please tell my hubby to drug my coffee and lock me up.

“Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 4:22pm

Post #89 of 93 (963 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see you back Ioreth! [In reply to] Can't Post

I too have been in and out over the years.

And in the RR I think we should all be Pippins together, in light of the size and scale of what all we love to read! Angelic

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2013, 10:09pm

Post #90 of 93 (963 views)
Shortcut
I have always privately thought that to be the case [In reply to] Can't Post

Trolls will often share a common outside forum where they can post and link to their "victories". One type of "victory" that earns bragging rights among trolls is getting a modar on another site to lose their cool. (Yes, they do keep count and post statistics.)

I grew to believe this about 5 or 6 years ago. It's kind of nice to see that validated.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2013, 4:09am

Post #91 of 93 (993 views)
Shortcut
We know it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes they're not as subtle about it as they think they are.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 6:38pm

Post #92 of 93 (919 views)
Shortcut
They just defeat themselves, I think, like shrunken head collectors. [In reply to] Can't Post

Proud if they destroy. I think it's sadder for them than for us!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 6:42pm

Post #93 of 93 (980 views)
Shortcut
Haw! I remember that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad it's not true--that would make one heck of a horror film! (The C&H, although Modaring might be a close second . . .)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.