Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is it possible to 'ignore' certain posters on this board?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 10:52am

Post #51 of 69 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Æ e i a æ å! [In reply to] Can't Post

So there!

Should be "Æ va i a æ å" for me now but that doesn't look so good.

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2008, 11:21am

Post #52 of 69 (1190 views)
Shortcut
I've got hearts, and I've got group hugs [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got your basic hearts:

And I've got your basic group hug:

But I've got no heart group hugs.

That would be a cool smiley, though. If anyone finds it, you know how to contact me!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 11:45am

Post #53 of 69 (1173 views)
Shortcut
That would be a scary smiley [In reply to] Can't Post

This place is really going all to fluffy, what'll be next, fluffy balrogs and pink riders?
;-)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 12:10pm

Post #54 of 69 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, using the "va" [In reply to] Can't Post

does ruin the joke! (And makes it impossible to google.)

*now wonders what the chorus of the children's song "Old McDonald Had a Farm", "e i e i o", really means...* Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 12:18pm

Post #55 of 69 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Well, it could [In reply to] Can't Post

mean "Uh, I'm in o" but then you'd have to pronounce i as i and not as ai.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 1:21pm

Post #56 of 69 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Aye... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's some form of "flat Norwegian", similar to the "platte Deutsch" of our Amish and Mennonite communities.

Considering that the venue is a farm, it probably means "Uh, I stepped in oh-oh". Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2008, 2:26pm

Post #57 of 69 (1198 views)
Shortcut
please don't stop [In reply to] Can't Post

I think some things need to be said but to say them well... without letting the annoyance we feel seep in, or choosing one's words so that they aren't more inflammatory... well, it's hard to do and it takes a lot of time.

But I think a lot of us feel they need to be said so we give it a try. For my part, I either spend an hour trying to make it be the most effective post possible or I remain silent but banking that frustration and then letting it snap at one particular moment. When others speak what's in my mind in without some of the same struggles I have then I am soothed. The frustration doesn't bank up. I know other people see the issue that I think is important. So I, for one, am entirely grateful on a personal level that there are people like you, Silverlode - and there are others - that have this gift and are willing to utilize it for the betterment of the community.

I never see the stuff you write - or that others I admire write - as grandstanding or pontificating or attention getting. As I said, you all want the outcome to be an improvement for the community.

So please, none of you stop. I got pretty frustrated that first few days with - not the newbies - many are very lovely and I'm enjoying the new blood. But with the sorts of posts or threads that don't appeal to me. (let me just leave it at that) I wanted to express my frustration and then realized others were doing it well and effectively for me. (in a very non-confrontational way) I kind of stepped back, found other things to occupy my time and told myself - so and so is handling it. I need that 'so and so is handling it' or I feel the need to step up and do it. It's one of my personal quirks coming from family background, I suppose. Sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes it's not. When I feel compelled to step up and speak but my temper is riled, I'm not pleasant. You who can step up and speak so eloquently w/o that tinge of temper I'm feeling are my lifesavers!

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 3:37pm

Post #58 of 69 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Its pronounced [In reply to] Can't Post

Droopy - I thought everyone knew that Angelic

I May be a scientist but I'm also a Ninja fencer!

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 3:40pm

Post #59 of 69 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Droopy has escaped again - quick someone get the poptarts and tranquiliser gun!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 3:40pm

Post #60 of 69 (1182 views)
Shortcut
But if the "p" is silent, [In reply to] Can't Post

wouldn't it be "drooey"?

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 3:44pm

Post #61 of 69 (1164 views)
Shortcut
That would depend [In reply to] Can't Post

on which one annoys her more Evil

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 3:46pm

Post #62 of 69 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Whats wrong with [In reply to] Can't Post

Fluffy?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 10 2008, 4:40pm

Post #63 of 69 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's "silent" like the 'p' in Köbenhavn....
No matter. I'm sure the whole pronunciation mess is a grand conspiracy thought up by Sweden in cahoots with *cue scary music* The Boards. ;)

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 5:55pm

Post #64 of 69 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Fluffy [In reply to] Can't Post

won't let us eat the chocolate. Everybody knows that.

What about a killer ninja fluffy?

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 6:08pm

Post #65 of 69 (1146 views)
Shortcut
As long as it's not silent [In reply to] Can't Post

like Budapest. Budapest is very, very noisy.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 6:11pm

Post #66 of 69 (1172 views)
Shortcut
You're getting [In reply to] Can't Post

old and deaf, there's no oo in au. Possilbly old, deaf and fluffy ...

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Jan 16 2008, 12:10am

Post #67 of 69 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for definitions [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Draupne,
This is very educational, and I'm glad to learn these terms I hadn't heard of before. So "sock-puppeting" is using other board names, correct? But I'm not sure what "glugging" is, could you tell me?
I feel kind of badly because I took different board names for awhile, but I did that because I was trying to get *away* from someone who was following me from Group to Group and targeting my posts in a weird, hostile way. But having different names for different boards turned out to be both confusing and cumbersome, so I went back to my original and one other.
(And it didn't even really help to use other IDs, the nasty person could find me anyway. So I just ignore her.)
So, thanks in advance for explaining "Glugging."
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

5) Repeat all of the above a couple of times before coming back under another name

6) Get upset when the admins tell you that you're sock-puppeting that is a Bad Thing and leave again after complaining about nazi admins and cruel glugging

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2008, 2:26am

Post #68 of 69 (1204 views)
Shortcut
More definitions. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sock-puppeting isn't just changing your name, it's using more than one name at the same time or pretending you're a different person with each and switching back and forth to avoid the Admins' wrath. One of our memorable trolls was a person who liked to register multiple names and use them to argue with himself. Crazy

Quite a few of our long-term members have changed their names at some point. That's not a problem, as long as you stick with one at a time. If you want to change, it's best to PM Altaira and ask her to change the name on your bio rather than just register a new one. This keeps the Member List from being filled with nicks that are never used.

Glugging has been coming up a lot lately. It's a reference to the TORN Drinking Game. You'll find the answers you seek in this thread.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Jan 16 2008, 9:24am

Post #69 of 69 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am relieved to know I haven't done a Very Bad Thing (whew!) and I'm glad to have a definition for "sock-puppeting." That is very disturbing that someone would create false IDs in order to argue with themselves online.... eww. Sounds like something Gollum would do! I'll check out the "glugging" thread also, thanks!
-ML
aka
Debbie/primmy

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.