Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2013, 3:04am

Post #1 of 13 (647 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo Can't Post

Pardon if this has already been addressed, I haven't read through all of the threads.

What do you make of the fact that we can "see" Bilbo in Smaug's Lair? Do you think this is just for the trailer? do you think he will have the "ring effect" come movie release?

Something I was just wondering about. He definitely should be invisible. Smaug does say "show yourself" but he's blocked by that large piece of stone there.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 2 2013, 3:32am

Post #2 of 13 (309 views)
Shortcut
I've been wondering that too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Nira
Lorien

Oct 2 2013, 3:34am

Post #3 of 13 (296 views)
Shortcut
Me too// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2013, 7:22am

Post #4 of 13 (267 views)
Shortcut
It looks to me like they haven't added the wraith world whiteness over the some of the scenes yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which probably makes sense, as it might not work as well in a trailer (too blurry in a fast moving trailer?). Bilbo will clearly be invisible in front of Smaug, since he says at the end "Where are you?"

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Oct 2 2013, 9:39am

Post #5 of 13 (258 views)
Shortcut
Possibly you are right, however [In reply to] Can't Post

there are one or two things which suggest that Bilbo could have a confrontation with Smaug without his ring on at first.

Firstly Gandalf says in AUJ that 'hobbits are remarkably light on their feet and can pass unseen by most if they choose'. The film might show this and therefore provide more of a reason for Gandalf placing his faith in hobbits being an advantage to have on the quest. There is nothing to stop Bilbo from being so quiet in this scene that the dragon isn't sure where exactly he is.

Secondly in the trailer Bilbo appears to be fighting spiders without the ring on.

Thirdly when the DOS preview came out I am sure there was a clip of Bilbo saying the final line that is in the book which ends '...and so do burglars' as a final parting shot at which point he puts the ring on.

I had actually thought the scene would have been done with Bilbo wearing the ring, so I am not saying that they have or haven't done this. Like yourself I think there is a possibility Bilbo wears the ring. I just wanted to point out one or two things which suggest to me that they might have deviated from the book and Bilbo first meets Smaug without the ring on. Perhaps it would be more effective on screen if Bilbo is visible when he encounters Smaug? Smile

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2013, 10:06am

Post #6 of 13 (240 views)
Shortcut
These are very good points. [In reply to] Can't Post

And you might be right. I hadn't thought of it like that.

"I just wanted to point out one or two things which suggest to me that they might have deviated from the book and Bilbo first meets Smaug without the ring on. Perhaps it would be more effective on screen if Bilbo is visible when he encounters Smaug?

In the book, Bilbo sees Smaug twice, so maybe we have seen scenes from each of these confrontations? Perhaps there is one scene wearing the Ring, and one where he isn't?

(I'm sure there is a picture of Bilbo in the chamber wearing the Ring, I'll try and track it down.)

Edit: Here's the picture click here.

So at some point, during a confrontation with Smaug, he is wearing the Ring. And interestingly, this promo picture is almost identical to the trailer shot:

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 2 2013, 10:12am)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2013, 10:28am

Post #7 of 13 (224 views)
Shortcut
Here's a muc and thirdh bigger res picture of that shot, [In reply to] Can't Post

http://mortonandgeorge.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gold.jpg

I'd only seen smaller versions before, but thought it showed the ring clearly on Bilbo's finger. But in this supersized version, there's a chance it could be part of a gold coin that has slipped between his middle and third finger... Unsure

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Oct 2 2013, 10:30am)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 2 2013, 10:33am

Post #8 of 13 (202 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Like bilbo and gollum

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2013, 10:36am

Post #9 of 13 (209 views)
Shortcut
The picture I linked to is higher resolution. [In reply to] Can't Post

And clearly shows that it is the Ring on Bilbo's middle finger. Without a doubt.

Smile

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 2 2013, 11:21am

Post #10 of 13 (197 views)
Shortcut
I put this together... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a sequence of frames at the end of the trailer that, I think, clearly show the ring on Bilbo's finger. As he moves out of the darkness the ring is visible. I upped the brightness and reduced the contrast.

http://i.imgur.com/4VDIgml.jpg

I think they have just removed the use of the ring effect we saw in AUJ for the purposes of the trailer.

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Oct 2 2013, 11:22am)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2013, 12:38pm

Post #11 of 13 (158 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, I didn't see your link! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, definite confirmation he's wearing it. Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2013, 2:45pm

Post #12 of 13 (123 views)
Shortcut
That was my thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

For a trailer it really doesn't work as well to have the ring washout effect. And for those who haven't read the book (probably not many in the audience but still) it might not make sense in the trailer.

My original take was that they would add the washout effect later. Some folks on here have had good ideas though about when he puts on the ring. I had wondered whether he initially goes out into the cavern with the ring off then puts it on when Smaug starts to move.

He needs to be invisible though and I'm sure Jackson will hold to that in the end. Those pitcutres do show him wearing the ring in parts.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Oct 3 2013, 10:37am

Post #13 of 13 (57 views)
Shortcut
Another little find. Look at 2.04 in the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Ignore the dragon for a moment and look to the left hand side of the screen. I am pretty sure that is Bilbo in the background without his ring on. What do you think?

at some point, during a confrontation with Smaug, he is wearing the Ring.

I am in no doubt that Bilbo will at some point wear the ring. Certainly by the time he needs to run from Smaug I am sure he will be wearing it. Giving it more thought, I think the film makers will want to add tension and suspense to the first meeting though and if Bilbo doesn't have his ring on at that point I think that might give the suspense that would be needed for this scene. Smile

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.