Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Shipper! Not feeling Legoriel, like, at all!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 2 2013, 12:45pm

Post #51 of 58 (165 views)
Shortcut
The Symbolism of the Pendant [In reply to] Can't Post

This was how I interpreted the scene. And here's a clue: this is the only time we've ever seen Tauriel's necklace. There's just a flash of it but I managed to capture it and clean it up a bit. It looks like a diamond set in a leaf shape of silver: a symbolic gift from Thranduil on becoming Captain of the Guards? Her look may imply the knowledge that she is going to "betray" him by disobeying his orders that no Elves leave Mirkwood as she chases after the Dwarves and their Orc pursuers.

In Reply To
We hear Thranduil say to Tauriel that Legolas is fond of her; she mustn't give him hope. So everyone jumps to the obvious conclusion: Legolas is falling for Tauriel. But is that really what's happening or are they teasing us here? What is the hope that Tauriel mustn't give Legolas? Hope that the two of them can dance off into the sunset hand-in-hand together - or hope that the elves can defeat the evil that's taking over Mirkwood. Could Thranduil just be talking about hope of victory? "Don't persuade my son to go out and fight because it will end in failure and he'll probably be killed in battle as my father was." (That's the story behind Thranduil's reluctance to leave the forest).

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 2 2013, 1:45pm

Post #52 of 58 (148 views)
Shortcut
Love [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually don't think that line refers to love between the two or the hint that there could be. I think that scene is going to come after her and Legolas talk about them needing to get involved in Middle-earth's business. Thranduil is going to tell her that in basically we got no dog in this fight type comment. She's then going to take off to Lake Town because she doesn't feel what he said was right. Then you have Legolas go after her because there is at most a brother/sister relationship between the two.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 2 2013, 2:23pm

Post #53 of 58 (114 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but many doesn't equal any / [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 2 2013, 2:36pm

Post #54 of 58 (120 views)
Shortcut
This theory I like! [In reply to] Can't Post

*fingers crossed, hoping this is the case* This makes the most sense out of any Tauriel speculation I have seen so far since the trailer came out!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Thyia
Bree

Oct 2 2013, 3:23pm

Post #55 of 58 (125 views)
Shortcut
My Guess on the Pendant... [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that the pendant is a gift from Legolas to Tauriel. Thranduil sees it, knows who gave it to her and it prompts the warning that he gives her against encouraging Legolas' affection. I don't believe we're being mislead in this. It makes way more sense than other explanations thus far.

At this point, what we don't know is whether or not Tauriel feels the same way about Legolas, that he does about her. If she does, and she's being warned off because he's way above her station, that may be the reason that she goes off to Laketown - she's annoyed with what Thranduil says to her and goes off in a bit of a huff.

Didn't EL mention that there is a romance, and that it prompts her to do what she does in the film?

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 2 2013, 3:41pm

Post #56 of 58 (112 views)
Shortcut
her looks says "I love you, not Legolas" [In reply to] Can't Post

And, yes, I do believe Thrandy gave her the pendant. And that he loves her too. HeartHeartHeart

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Oct 2 2013, 11:09pm

Post #57 of 58 (82 views)
Shortcut
I agree, Thranduil's comment comes across as a backhanded insult. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like he is reminding Tauriel that she is Silvan and he and Legolas are Sindar.
If this turns out to be the case, then he is pulling an "Elrond" on her, and the reference to "...there is no hope" echoes Arwen's "There is always hope." from LOTR.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Oct 3 2013, 1:23am

Post #58 of 58 (79 views)
Shortcut
This shot [In reply to] Can't Post

This shot always gives me the impression that Thranduil is looking at a movie screen....

It takes a bit of adjustment to realize he is actually behind Tauriel. Maybe I need glasses.

(This post was edited by HiddenSpring on Oct 3 2013, 1:24am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.