Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
curiouser and curiouser

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2008, 12:22am

Views: 192
Shortcut
curiouser and curiouser [In reply to] Can't Post

Well. I don't understand some of the lingo, such as

Doubleday Book Club books have a five-digit code (black numbers in a white block)

Where would that code appear? I don't see anything like that, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

The BOMC used to put a "blind stamp" on the back panel of the book (sometimes just an impression, round or square, sometimes with a color), this practice has been discontinued. In addition, BOMC dust jackets will sometimes have a "dot" on the bottom right corner of the rear panel.

Does "back panel" mean literally the outside (back) cover? Or inside the back cover? I don't see a dot or stamp anywhere, though.

However, as noted:

earlier BOMC books did not use the blind dot

So just because mine doesn't have a blind dot I guess doesn't mean it is (or isn't) a BOMC edition.

Also:

The Book of the Month Club included prices on their dust jackets in the 1970's. These books will have the regular price on the front flap - at the top of the flap it will say "Selection of the Book of the Month Club" with an asterisk - at the bottom of the flap the asterisk explains "trademark of the Book of the Month Club." These books will sometimes state "first edition" etc - all of them have the blind-stamped dot on the back cover. The most important identification is the presence of both statements on the front flap.

So, my book has the price, does not have the blind dot, does not say ANYWHERE anything about BOMC.

I guess I'm back to thinking I must have ordered it somewhere else, but it's lost in the passing sands of that proverbial hourglass of time...

(Like so much else. Sigh.)

Thanks for the link though. I'm definately saving it.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

Subject User Time
a question for the book collectors/librarians here a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Jan 7 2008, 1:27am
    BOTMC drogo Send a private message to drogo Jan 7 2008, 4:32pm
        ah HAH, no price listing! a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Jan 8 2008, 12:25am
            Sounds like a first US Sil drogo Send a private message to drogo Jan 8 2008, 3:40am
                "Father Giles" a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Jan 8 2008, 11:06am
                    It does! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jan 8 2008, 1:57pm
                        every passing day, sister!! :-) // a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Jan 8 2008, 2:22pm
    Here Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 9 2008, 8:47pm
        curiouser and curiouser a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Jan 10 2008, 12:22am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.