Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Eye of Sauron
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 5:54pm

Post #26 of 37 (137 views)
Shortcut
The Ear of Sauron is searching for you. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Eye seems primarily symbolic to me. If Sauron is looking for something, he's going to use his eyes. Projecting them in an astral plane (with or without the pallantir) would make sense as a sorcerer's ability, but it's hard to see him limited to that organ. Since Frodo perceives this eye on an astral plain, possibly even from as far away as Rivendell, I think it's because he's nearly faded from the Morgul-knife and now has a foot in the Unseen world and can perceive things that others can't.

Just as there is the Voice of Saruman, which doesn't preclude him from having a regular physical body, I don't think having a capitalized Eye precludes Sauron from having a regular body, and I agree with Silverlode that Gollum's memory of Sauron was too graphic to suggest anything other than a corporeal form.

At the same time, I think Sauron's eyes had particular powers, hence the Nazgul threat of being left naked to the Lidless Eye.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 6:05pm

Post #27 of 37 (135 views)
Shortcut
The Ear, The Eye, The Mouth of Sauron… [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe there's a court jester in the Dark Tower who has served so long he's forgotten his name. He is the…
…Butt of Sauron.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 6:07pm

Post #28 of 37 (132 views)
Shortcut
Upon which is vented... [In reply to] Can't Post

...The Spleen of Sauron.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 6:15pm

Post #29 of 37 (131 views)
Shortcut
That Darth Vader-like heavy breathing emanating from Barad-dur [In reply to] Can't Post

is from the Lungs of Sauron.

The perpetual bad mood of the Dark Lord comes from the Gouty Leg of Sauron. Oh, the anatomy of evil!

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 6:29pm

Post #30 of 37 (138 views)
Shortcut
Surprisingly irrelevant and unuseful... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was The Appendix of Sauron.

And though he was always quite visible, most people had absolutely no idea what the name of The Philtrum of Sauron was.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 7:29pm

Post #31 of 37 (115 views)
Shortcut
The Foot of Sauron - was just a leg end// [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 7:49pm

Post #32 of 37 (117 views)
Shortcut
Well that's a win.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good 'un!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2013, 12:11am

Post #33 of 37 (105 views)
Shortcut
The Eye of Sauron Is Upon You [In reply to] Can't Post

Gee, if only we had a Texas resident here to write that song!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 12:30am

Post #34 of 37 (115 views)
Shortcut
Open at your own risk! [In reply to] Can't Post

So if he got his ring back, what would the eyeball do with it? Look at it? Wear it like a teeny little crown?

You have been warned.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2013, 2:11am

Post #35 of 37 (109 views)
Shortcut
that [In reply to] Can't Post

... is +nuts+.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 4:17am

Post #36 of 37 (91 views)
Shortcut
OMG I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... is +nuts+.

I (and I think any sensible person) would pay much more than that to have something removed from my cornea, no matter what jewel tone it was.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2013, 5:30pm

Post #37 of 37 (115 views)
Shortcut
Wish granted! Though I'm not from TX!! [In reply to] Can't Post

(To the tune of the Walker: Texas Ranger Theme)

The lidless eye of Sauron
From which we all are cowerin'
He's lookin' for his Ring both day and night

'Cause the eye of Sauron is upon you
Any time you wear it he's gonna see

So when you're in Mordor look behind you

'Cause that's where Sauron's gonna be

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.