Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn chasing the Company...

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2013, 2:30pm

Post #1 of 12 (862 views)
Shortcut
Beorn chasing the Company... Can't Post

Has anyone else tried to freeze-frame 1:29 yet? It is where we see Gandalf and the Company being chased in through the gate in the hedge of Beorn's house.

In the previous trailer we saw them trying to shut the door in the face of a huge real (well, CGI) bear.. However, in this latest clip the beast chasing them appears to be a man/bear hybrid - or to put it more crudely, it looks like some kind of "Big Foot" !

Could it be that in this clip we are actually seeing Beorn in mid-transformation? He is definitely all bear by the time the Company gets inside the house...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2013, 2:46pm

Post #2 of 12 (495 views)
Shortcut
Done my best... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully someone with more technical knowhow can get a proper screen cap...

http://i574.photobucket.com/...eorn_zps301f360a.jpg

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 1 2013, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 12 (540 views)
Shortcut
here a closeup: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://s14.directupload.net/.../131001/zqicjikh.png

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2013, 2:58pm

Post #4 of 12 (401 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look better in close-up, but still (to me) freakily more man-like than I expected!

Victoria Monfort

Angharad73
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 3:07pm

Post #5 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
It's a scary beast... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it doesn't really look like a bear, except maybe the big paw you can see in the picture. But it definitely is more beast than man. Looks a bit mangy to me. Mid-transformation is possible - or it could be just a really bad CGI shot? Tongue

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 1 2013, 3:11pm

Post #6 of 12 (385 views)
Shortcut
I don't think CGI has anything to do with it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a matter of design, not CGI.

Anyway, i'm liking what i've seen of Beorn. Although to me, he looks a bit different than what we've seen of Beorn in the first trailer. His bear form seems to be much more in tone with his human form now.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 3:18pm

Post #7 of 12 (367 views)
Shortcut
Not sure what that is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like a warg head and a bear paw to me. Maybe they really want to stress that he is not an actual bear, but a shapeshifter? Oh, skin-changer, pardon me. Wink Dunno. I guess we'll find out in December!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 3:27pm

Post #8 of 12 (340 views)
Shortcut
The shots [In reply to] Can't Post

Just some random stuff. I compiled the shots from both trailers and here's the whole sequence I got:

Full size:

http://i.imgur.com/qUBugJb.jpg

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 3:40pm

Post #9 of 12 (332 views)
Shortcut
It looks like Beorn will chase them [In reply to] Can't Post

The only thing abou the trailer that made me nervous, but not too much! Perhaps they can make it feel okay. Even though I would prefer something witty and magical instead of a movie monster chase scene.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 3:46pm

Post #10 of 12 (306 views)
Shortcut
I guess.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...this is how they replaced the well known Gandalf trick he did to Beorn, introducing the dwarves in twos. They removed the first long introduction we had in the book (dwarves' visit to Bilbo), the same is applied to Beorn. And this behaviour also emphasizes his wild nature.

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 5:36pm

Post #11 of 12 (177 views)
Shortcut
He is VERY big. [In reply to] Can't Post

When you see his head to body ratio, you realise how enormous he is to Bilbo and the dwarves !

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 7:38pm

Post #12 of 12 (108 views)
Shortcut
The Running through the Hedge...LOOK? [In reply to] Can't Post

seems there are 2 Big Bear Statues
over the Door.
Whit Marble (@500%)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.